The Official "Halo: TMCC" Thread

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Got my Halo MCC this past weekend and for the past 3 days I have been playing CE. I've only owned an Xbox once a few years ago and didn't have it long but I have never played Halo before so I am a complete newb.

For the love of god what is the best way to drive that dam Warthog on Maw. Thing drives like it's high on something.

Any tips on driving this thing? I can get to within 200m (think it's meters can't remember and not near Xbox to check) before going up in a blaze of glory.

Other than the Warthog this game is awesome. Can't believe I never played it, though in defense, I was always stuck on games like NFS and Driver.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Try to take the middle path if you can, i know it can get tricky, especially if you get sideways and you need speed for the next jump. When you get to the parts where you have to weave the pillars in the middle of the corridor make sure you avoid the side with the "speed bump" Use left trigger to handbrake and there is no need to try to go as fast as you can. Control>Speed. I just finished Halo:CE last night with my wife and this part did give me some trouble i kept rolling my warthog so we would have to climb back in it.

I cant stress it enough, for me on this game the old graphics help so much. The remastered ones make everything so much harder to see.

Unrelated note:

we should try to set up a night were we have a Windows Central custom game night once the networking side of the game is more stable.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I did learn the hard way about the bumps and the jumps. Just wish I could steer the dam thing, lol.

Yea, I'd love to try online but connection is molasses. Looking to rip out all the cable and install new along with a better modem\ router than the cable company's.

Didn't realize just how slow it was till I installed MCC and went to update. Took 2 1\2 days.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Steering's not bad, it's just a bit free with the traction. Really, what they've done is made the right stick the traditional left stick (steering), and the left stick is the traditional triggers (forward/reverse). It's not a tough thing to deal with when you're used to it, obviously, you just have to remember that you steer with the right stick, not the left. Also, don't be afraid to let off the gas if you get a bit sideways, because trying to floor it while mid-arid and aimed sideways is not a good idea.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Steering's not bad, it's just a bit free with the traction. Really, what they've done is made the right stick the traditional left stick (steering), and the left stick is the traditional triggers (forward/reverse). It's not a tough thing to deal with when you're used to it, obviously, you just have to remember that you steer with the right stick, not the left. Also, don't be afraid to let off the gas if you get a bit sideways, because trying to floor it while mid-arid and aimed sideways is not a good idea.

Yea. Definitely takes getting used to. The one that keeps messing me up is reverse and turn and steering is opposite. Gets me every time.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So far, the update hasn't made things better for me. I still couldn't find a game in Team Slayer, Big Team Battle, Halo 2: Classic, or Halo Championship Training Ground (or whatever that pro-style whatever thing is). It DID start finding players in Anniversary (the ranked one), but I didn't actually want to play, just test the lobbies, so I backed out before it finished.

So, seems like we're not in a better position than before. Half of the game types are missing, and the others aren't loading, so I'm still going to play CoD, I suppose.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Update has fixed matchmaking for me (for the most part). I was able to find a game and play it in every playlist within 3 mins of searching. I was not able to join my buddy to play any campaign missions, but he was still installing so I'm not sure if that was the issue or not.

After the match-made games finished i would say about 50% of the time when it was counting down to the next match it would get stuck on the countdown and you would have to back out. Defiantly not perfect by all means but at least its a step in the right direction.

The roster when in the main menu still doesn't show all my friends that are playing the game. It usually shows the right number of people in () but it will only list a few of them.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Waiting on the install is definitely an issue for joining. It's installing multiplayer, and that's including the lobby ability online, I assume. I couldn't join my friend online while I was waiting for the multiplayer patch to finish either. We've been able to get games in when we've wanted, for the most part, but we've also had some nasty fits trying to get the connection to go and hold while loading the campaign.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Update did nothing more than lock up my Xbox when I tried to open game and then it erased my last checkpoint (final mission on maw to get to ship) and had to start over. Considering this was my first time playing Halo, I was a bit pissed at having to start over from beginning of mission.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Best.Scene.Evar.

"Brute ships, staggered line.

Shipmaster, they outnumber us three to one!"

"then it is an even fight. ALL CRUISERS, FIRE AT WILL. BURN THEIR MONGREL HIDES"

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
After the multiplayer patch things seemed to start working better yesterday, then 1PM rolled around and for the rest of the day TMCC was completely broken. No matches could be made and twice the game completely crashed. The Halo Channel is broken too. What a complete debacle 343 and MS have made this. How so incompetent the were to not ensure that the most palatable portion of this game worked properly. Unreal. After looking at the twitter feeds it appears that not all that many people had success after the patch. I tweeted the hell out of xbox/MS/343/Halo and even Phil Spencer. Somebody's head needs to roll.

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Bit of a noob question so apologies in advance. But how do you go about playing campaign online co-op? Is it the same was a multiplayer so invite your friend to "Party & Game" and then just start playing?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Bit of a noob question so apologies in advance. But how do you go about playing campaign online co-op? Is it the same was a multiplayer so invite your friend to "Party & Game" and then just start playing?

Yep just get them in your game session and start playing w/e missions you want to play.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, sort of. In my experience, it's more like: Join party, select mission, lose connection, repeat several times until the game lets you play.

My friend and I have 2 more missions to go in the co-op campaign in Halo 2. At first, we'd get in with maybe one disconnect. Then, it would take 3-4 attempts to get rolling. Last night, we tried at least 6 times to play, and the game wouldn't start a single time, so we just gave up after maybe half an hour of constantly trying to get it going. I really hope that this week's patch fix things.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hmm we never have any issues once we are in a party together. Sometimes it wont put us in a party and we both just kill the app from the home screen and re-load and that always fixes it.

Once we are in a party tho we can play missions or multiplayer without issues usually, unless we need to back out to the main menu then it sometimes doesnt take everyone. I've found if the game starts being weird everyone going to the home screen hitting start and killing the game usually fixes it.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
After the last update, I've had much better luck with multiplayer. Comparing it to multiplayer on Titanfall, I think it might be slightly slower, though the way MCC shows progress makes it FEEL slow, even when it's being an entirely reasonable amount of time. A couple of more updates and it should be golden- right about now, I give it a C+ or so (on the connection front, it's fun on a game front).

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This is more to do with Halo 5 multiplayer beta, but thank god I wasn't hyped for this game's (or Halo's in general) multiplayer side. I've always known I'm not a fan of this kind of arcade bubblegum shooters where every character is a bullet sponge.

I realize there is plenty of skill involved too and getting used to (yes, I only played two rounds, but it was that uninteresting to me), but between fighting connection problems and the awful gameplay, it pretty much made sure I won't even try MP again in a Halo-franchise. There wasn't one single thing that Halo 5 MP had better than say.. Titanfall, that I'm very fond of. I like the Halo universe/setting, but I can get that with the singleplayer. Titanfall will remain to me as the king of FPS :D

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd probably peg a bunch of things I'd give Halo over Titanfall myself. I won't bother, but I'll just say that at the end of the day, the core of Titanfall feels HEAVILY like Call of Duty, and that's not necessarily a compliment.

That said, Guardians took a bit to get used to. The first match was a nightmare, as its default controls are CoD-like, and given that Halo doesn't play like CoD entirely, it made it a horrible experience. After I changed the controls to the Halo 4 setup and played a few matches, it felt like a decent mix of Halo 4's pacing and the older titles' tactics. What's more, I had very few connection issues. Yesterday and this morning, it was almost flawless, with just one connection drop. Late tonight, it was struggling, but it was only for maybe 15 minutes.

I need a lot more beta time to evaluate the multiplayer better, mostly how the weapons all feel, what the map experiences will be, and which weapons are and aren't present. It's definitely an improvement over Advanced Warfare, it's better than Titanfall as well, but I'm not sure if I'd put it above Halo 4 as a whole without knowing more. Two maps, one game type, and 7 weapons isn't enough to judge the entirety of Guardians against Halo 4, but I can at least say that these 2 beta maps (one being a Midship remake) are a lot better than the trash maps of Halo 4.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's probably more to do with kind of what subgenre of FPS you prefer. Like you say, Halo and Titanfall for example are built on very different foundations. That said, I've never been a fan of CoDs (more of a Battlefield guy rather than CoD), but I think Titanfall takes the fast gameplay of CoD and puts it in the right and worthy setting. When it's a realistic'ish setting like CoDs typically (except AW), it feels just stupid and arcade.

It's no secret that I like games with low time to kill that are built around ADS. So a game with high TTK like Halos are tough to enjoy for me. It might be an unpopular opinion (like fe. based on how many hardcore servers vs. normal servers there are up and running in fe. BF4), but I really can't stand the bullet sponge playstyle, even if it emphasizes on one's ability to track well and all that. What annoys me most is getting a drop on several people, but the damage model making sure I have no realistic way to take them both/all out other than with a nade or smth, you can kill one until the other/rest turn around and shoot you. Whereas in a game like Insurgency or Red Orchestra for example I could pretty much kill everyone in the room before they got chance to retaliate if I sneaked up behind them. Some complain about the "it's just about who sees who first", but that's a huge skill set by itself, not to mention seeing by itself isn't enough, you still need to aim, but then we get into the twitch shooting vs. tracking kinda thing :p

The other problem is the floatyness of it all. Halo's movement didn't really feel tight at all. I felt like I was just hovering around the map. Once again might just be a preference thing of the subgenre, but I really just don't like it :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs