Xbox One Region-Locked?

Denzel Yu

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying an xbox one and would like to know about the ff:

1. Do the console, xbox live account, physical disk copy of a game, the online code that comes WITH the game, online purchase have separate regions if at all?

2. Do all the ones mentioned one above have to be of the same region?

I am a ps3 owner and I'm not aware if the ps3 has its own region but the only region-locked material in ps3 is the online codes and ps store but this can be bypassed by having a psn account of a different region.

3. Can the xbox one do the same? Have different accounts of different regions to access other region's items?

4. Please exolain to me how the region lock in xbox one works

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The only region lock so far is that when people were selling bundled game codes from the US in Europe, those codes got banned eventually. Other than that there arnt really any region locking except Xbox Video (and maybe Music) will whine if your Live is set to a different region than your Live account. I live in Finland, have my Live-account set to Ireland (as well as Xbox region settings), but I have bought game discs from UK, Finland and Germany (US ones also work in EU for example, no locks there), I've also bought games from the US Xbox marketplace digitally by changing my region, etc.

You don't need another account, you can simply change Xbox's region (requires reboot) and you can then access the marketplace in question, however payment methods are tied to region, so for example if I put my credit card to the finnish marketplace, it doesn't show up in other marketplaces until I add em there too. Also balance added to account is tied to a region, so if I add 50€ balance to my "irish region", I can't use the balance if I switch region to US. But when I switch back to ireland again, then I can use the balance.

Hope some of this helps.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Quick question, given the upcoming Black Friday deals: has anyone tried to play a US game on an European XBone? I know the console isn't region locked but where thee any problems?

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I dont know if this answers your question about region lock, but I did purchase a FIFA 14 download code from a Europe guy when the XB1 launched in EU. I'm here in the US and I didnt have any issues.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I dont know if this answers your question about region lock, but I did purchase a FIFA 14 download code from a Europe guy when the XB1 launched in EU. I'm here in the US and I didnt have any issues.

Sort of. I was thinking about disc games, but if download codes work, I assume discs won't have any problem either. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos