October Update - Live TV without a Cable Box

Spiritualengr

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I finally got a chance to play around with some of the new features from the latest update. Specifically the DLNA streaming from a networked hard drive have movies backed up on. When I opened up "Media Player Preview" not only was it seeing the hard drive but it was also seeing my networked TV tuners. I have two "SiliconDust HDHomeRun EXTEND" hooked up to my network. I was able to stream live TV from those tuners and it looked beautiful.

With this method there is no OneGuide or any candy coated UI but it is now possible to stream live TV to your Xbox One through the Media Player app.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Ceton cablecard tuner.....You can with a trick share a single tuner, I wonder if it will work with the xbox one ?

This is cool... I still have a classic HDhomerun....but, no QAM channels any more :(

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Keep in mind that if you use a CableCard variety of HDHomerun, then most of those channels will be protected and are not able to be viewed over the network.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that if you use a CableCard variety of HDHomerun, then most of those channels will be protected and are not able to be viewed over the network.

Yea, I am wondering if MS is going to work with that. I was thinking of taking a old ATI cablecard tuner and dumping my cablecard into it (should work as a temp thing) and plug it into the Xbox one...(USB based)

Remember, the DRM issues, Microsoft created Windows Media Center, the first and still ONLY application that has cablecard support on the PC. This fully supports the DRM path of cablecards (and the CC was very strict on use for a PC, as no other DVR based PC software can work with protected channels)

I'm sure it would not be very hard for MS to add support for DRM based channels. As there is no DVR on the Xbox one and the only video output on the Xbox one is HDMI (secure digital path). I would not be shocked if it's already built in and just not active yet.

It would make a nice use for all those old ATI single cablecard tuners you could get on ebay for like $40...it would be cool if that would work..

If there's no OneGuide, then how did you select the channel?

Yea, agreed, even if this would work, only reason I would use it if I could get the OneGuide, as I have my DVR and Home theater PC connected to the same TV a button push away if I wanted to watch tv...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3