Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
As much as it pains me to say it. I picked up COD:AW because Wal-Mart was running +50% trade in. Traded in Ryse and COD:Ghosts and ended up paying about $17 for it.

I'm about 5 missions in and it really is a fun game, 500% better the ghosts. I plan on beating it and trading it in for AC:Unity or Sunset Overdrive.

Did anyone else pick it up?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I did, and I've just about finished the campaign. The clich?s are EVERYWHERE in it. The story's kind of interesting, but it's all very predictable, on several levels. We'll see what I think of the multiplayer, as I typically don't touch it until after I complete the campaign. I got it at Best Buy, though. They had the $20 trade value for Ghosts on the One, plus the $10 trade up coupon. I picked up a $15 copy of Ghosts at Sam's, traded it for that $30 in credit, then got the game with GCU at Best Buy. It ended up being $48 for the game, post-GCU, $10 off for the coupon, then $5 off for the trade profit. So, it ran me about $35, after tax, which I paid off with credit from trading in Forza and a 360 copy of Titanfall that I got for $5.

Also, definitely get Sunset Overdrive. I have it (beat the story, still doing side stuff before trading it towards Halo), and it's a great game.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I did, and I've just about finished the campaign. The clich?s are EVERYWHERE in it. The story's kind of interesting, but it's all very predictable, on several levels. We'll see what I think of the multiplayer, as I typically don't touch it until after I complete the campaign. I got it at Best Buy, though. They had the $20 trade value for Ghosts on the One, plus the $10 trade up coupon. I picked up a $15 copy of Ghosts at Sam's, traded it for that $30 in credit, then got the game with GCU at Best Buy. It ended up being $48 for the game, post-GCU, $10 off for the coupon, then $5 off for the trade profit. So, it ran me about $35, after tax, which I paid off with credit from trading in Forza and a 360 copy of Titanfall that I got for $5.

Also, definitely get Sunset Overdrive. I have it (beat the story, still doing side stuff before trading it towards Halo), and it's a great game.

Quite the hassle you went through with the trade ins :D We don't really even have anything like that over here.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ehh, it wasn't too bad. The trades only take about 5 minutes, most of the time. Of course, when I went to get CoD, their trade server was down, the computer screwed up the initial trade and CoD pickup, so all of that ended up taking about an hour, despite only needing to take 10 minutes. However, I'm more than fine killing 20-30 minutes I wasn't using for anything else, when it means saving $15 on a game. $35 certainly beats $60.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Another fun thing you can do is go halves with a friend who still has a 360 and upgrade on your XBone.

Got a Brother-in-law who doesn't plan on getting a One any time soon but wants CoDAW, so I said I would split it with him if I could upgrade it on my XBone. He had no problem with that seeing as we both get the game for half price. Has to be done digitally but still a good steal even if you buy the Map Packs with it, it's 50 a piece, still less than a full price game.

RZR666

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
It's one of the best COD releases in a while, the story was good (although I kind of wanted a choice of sides) and the exo-suits proved more than just a gimmick.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm into the 40s in online multiplayer now, and I'm not exactly happy with it (I play it mostly because Halo is still unplayable).

--The hit detection in this game is wretched. Worse-off, it's inconsistent. It's an issue that has plagued CoD games forever, watching the killcam of someone not shooting you...to death. Watching the game show several hit markers on an enemy whose only visible body parts are the shoulder and head...then watching him live through it. It's all horrible, and it's made me realize that CoD needs a new engine badly. The engine they use was built on the foundation od the id tech 3 engine, which is 15 years old. We need something new, guys.
--The maps in this game are the worst of any CoD multiplayer I can recall playing. Sniping is basically impossible on ANY map, unless you like to be an auto-aim, quick-scope guy. The maps are horribly small, and on the rare occasion you play on a map of any decent size (say, Instinct), there is so much foliage and so many obstacles that you still can't really snipe, because the opposition has too much cover and too many ways to easily get to you. A lot of it is the increased speed of the game (from double-jumps and dashing) makes it easier to get run up on, but it's also just the horrid map selection.
--I don't care for the number of lost things. The perks almost all suck now, with only a few even on my radar for in-game use. We don't have the Claymore is gone, making sniping even tougher without that defense (same for the Shock Charge of BO2). Basically, it feels like Sledgehammer is requiring everyone to play a run-and-gun style, regardless of preference. Strategy is out the window, with the deciding fact now being auto-aim and a sugar high more than ever.

When I started this game, I was good with the campaign, thought it was pretty solid. I even didn't mind the multiplayer, and thought it a decent attempt. However, the more I play, the more I feel like this might be the last time I touch a Sledgehammer game (I've already written off Infinity Ward). I really just wish that console shooters would dump the aim assist trash they use, because it's illogical and only props up bad players (I used to play the first BO with it off, but the hit detection is so bad in AW that I tried and couldn't get anything to register). This game...it infuriates me with its inconsistency and design. I just hope that Treyarch can again save the day, because the Black Ops installments are the only ones which have been good since the first Modern Warfare.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm into the 40s in online multiplayer now, and I'm not exactly happy with it (I play it mostly because Halo is still unplayable).

--The hit detection in this game is wretched. Worse-off, it's inconsistent. It's an issue that has plagued CoD games forever, watching the killcam of someone not shooting you...to death. Watching the game show several hit markers on an enemy whose only visible body parts are the shoulder and head...then watching him live through it. It's all horrible, and it's made me realize that CoD needs a new engine badly. The engine they use was built on the foundation od the id tech 3 engine, which is 15 years old. We need something new, guys.
--The maps in this game are the worst of any CoD multiplayer I can recall playing. Sniping is basically impossible on ANY map, unless you like to be an auto-aim, quick-scope guy. The maps are horribly small, and on the rare occasion you play on a map of any decent size (say, Instinct), there is so much foliage and so many obstacles that you still can't really snipe, because the opposition has too much cover and too many ways to easily get to you. A lot of it is the increased speed of the game (from double-jumps and dashing) makes it easier to get run up on, but it's also just the horrid map selection.
--I don't care for the number of lost things. The perks almost all suck now, with only a few even on my radar for in-game use. We don't have the Claymore is gone, making sniping even tougher without that defense (same for the Shock Charge of BO2). Basically, it feels like Sledgehammer is requiring everyone to play a run-and-gun style, regardless of preference. Strategy is out the window, with the deciding fact now being auto-aim and a sugar high more than ever.

When I started this game, I was good with the campaign, thought it was pretty solid. I even didn't mind the multiplayer, and thought it a decent attempt. However, the more I play, the more I feel like this might be the last time I touch a Sledgehammer game (I've already written off Infinity Ward). I really just wish that console shooters would dump the aim assist trash they use, because it's illogical and only props up bad players (I used to play the first BO with it off, but the hit detection is so bad in AW that I tried and couldn't get anything to register). This game...it infuriates me with its inconsistency and design. I just hope that Treyarch can again save the day, because the Black Ops installments are the only ones which have been good since the first Modern Warfare.

While I wouldn't be that harsh on it, you definitely make some valid points. Snipping is almost not possible at all on the current available maps. And hit detection is definitely all over the place.

Overall though I really like it. I think I still prefer MW3 and BO2 over it. But in general it's a solid release though.

But after playing GTA V last night, I think I'll be leaving COD alone for a while.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely call it "solid" on a good day, but those are few and far between. Peer-to-peer connections ruin online too often to praise this game, when so many competing games are pushing servers as a feature (like Halo and Titanfall). Black Ops 2 was VASTLY better than this, though I'd take the worst of Advanced Warfare over the nightmarish hell that was Modern Warfare 3. I gave that game up after a couple of hours because it was bad at EVERYTHING (incessant spawn killing, vastly underpowered frag grenades, horrid maps, Deathstreaks were the worst thing ever added to a shooter...rewarding death, LOL).

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely call it "solid" on a good day, but those are few and far between. Peer-to-peer connections ruin online too often to praise this game, when so many competing games are pushing servers as a feature (like Halo and Titanfall). Black Ops 2 was VASTLY better than this, though I'd take the worst of Advanced Warfare over the nightmarish hell that was Modern Warfare 3. I gave that game up after a couple of hours because it was bad at EVERYTHING (incessant spawn killing, vastly underpowered frag grenades, horrid maps, Deathstreaks were the worst thing ever added to a shooter...rewarding death, LOL).

Ya, the connection issue is definitely sub par. Hopefully they can fix that. I liked all the MWs though and BO2. Ghosts was the first one I couldn't stand and just let collect dust after only a couple weeks.

GTA V is my new focus game though.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Since the DLC has dropped this game has aggravated me to no end.

I enjoy the zombies mode. But the host connections tend to be crap and the issues they are having with forming a party in this is ridiculous. You get a group together and try to go in a public game and it boots everyone from the party. Just plain stupid. Also the amount of glitching possible is insane. I ran into pileups by accident because I landed in a glitch while jumping to escape a mob.

I wish they would get some patches out to fix the lobby issue. Because trying to get 4 people for a private match isn't easy, at least for me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon