Voice chat switching from headset to Kinect on its own

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi, all. I'm new to the XBO and could use your help with a voice chat problem. I just tried a game (Titanfall) with voice chat for the first time last night. I connected my headset to the controller and started the game, and I could hear other players talking now and then through the headset. Then I suddenly started hearing those same players through my speakers and not the headset. I don't know why it switched.

Then I invited a friend to play, and when he first joined me I could hear him through my headset and he could hear me, but after a few minutes I heard him through my speakers saying "Are you there?" My headset apparently stopped working with the chat.

Then I decided to try Party chat instead of game chat, and at that point the Kinect took over and I could hear him in my speakers and he could hear me through the Kinect mic, apparently.

I know there is a setting that lets you turn off your Kinect for Party Chat, but I'd like to know why headset chat works for a few minutes but then suddenly stops.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem when i first got my XBOX One mostly because I basically broke the headset. When i would remove it from the controller, I'd always pull it by the cord. Apparently, that causes a lot of damage to it. And, I should've known that while I was doing it, but I didn't think about it at the time.

I bought a new headset and now only pull it from the large part that actually plugs into the controller.

Could that be the reason?

The only other thing I can think of is that for whatever reason your Kinect is losing track of 'you' during your game sessions and doesn't recognize that the controller is plugged to the headset...

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, ncxcstud. I did some testing with my headset using Skype and it seemed to work fine. I even jiggle the cord at the base of the connector a bit just to see if I'd pulled it loose as you described and I couldn't get it to cut out.

I think it may have been a combination of things, including my Kinect seeing my daughter walk in the room and switching to her account automatically, and I have online chat disabled for her.

The strange thing is Titanfall does not seem to recognize my Kinect as a chat device because there is no audio icon beside my name unless I attach the headset.

It's baffling.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
That's just how Titanfall works. It is one of the few games on the Xbox One that doesn't use the Kinect as a way to chat.

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
That's just how Titanfall works. It is one of the few games on the Xbox One that doesn't use the Kinect as a way to chat.

Which is fine with me, because most of the time I don't want to chat with the Kinect. I have a young child and I'd rather not have other players' obscenities blasting through my speakers when she wanders into the room. That's why I prefer using headset for chat in games. I just wish I know why it stopped working mid-match. I'll keep experimenting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon