So, do you like the metro-ified dashboard?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
After a few weeks, I have to say it certainly looks nice but I don't think it's actually that suitable (certainly for non-kinect xboxes anyway - and I can't use a kinect as my lounge setup doesn't really allow it) and not as functional as the previous version of the dashboard. And quite a few other xbox owners I know agree.

Makes me wonder how it'll go down on non-touchscreen devices running Windows 8...

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I detest the new Dashboard, it's a pain in the bum to navigate. (I know the bumpers move the top menu selections etc)

But no, alas i much preferred the previous dashboard.

Far easier to get what you wanted, and faster.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Got my XBox/Kinect about the same time as the change, so it's all I know. Seems to work fine for me, and now that I repositioned my Kinect (top of TV) it's pretty easy to navigate.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it's OK. It looks great, but it isn't functional AT ALL. It requires a lot more user actions to actually reach the page you want. Starting up the Zune Marketplace is horribly slow, and now required to view saved videos... :dry

The Companion App is quite disappointing as well. I would love to use it as a remote, when watching a DVD, but that's not possible. I would also love to swipe and tab the screen to navigate, instead of having to use the onscreen Xbox buttons.

But oh well, perhaps in the future.

Haven't tested it with Kinect actually, should do that. Last time I used Kinect was around the time Gunstringer came out.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I really like it. I hated the old dashboard. I was always accidentally pushing down when I wanted to go right.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The two things that I actually like about it are the use of bumpers and the quicklist (or is it quickplay?). If it weren't for those two things, I wouldn't use my 360 for anything besides playing whatever disc is in the tray (I can use a computer hooked up to the TV faster than scrolling over to Netflix, Zune, etc.). My parents have a Kinect (yes, I'm ashamed that they do and I don't) and when I visited them for Christmas, I realized just how useful it is. The best part wasn't even the use of your hands. Voice control was the most useful when on the dashboard.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I hated the old dashboard, old, slow, and cubersome with many illogical navigation paths (especially the marketplace).

The new Metro dashboard is much faster to get to what I want, where I want, when I want.

Imagine it like Windows 7 - some people are stuck in their way with XP/Vista's old way of User Interface, but Windows 7's GUI is, without doubt, superior and more efficient for the end user (not that it matters, I've had a short arguement with someone who would refuse to use anything but the old "up" button in Windows Explorer.... not kidding. The address bar is now clickable, and he'd rather click "up" several times, because he liked it more).

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
The new Dashboard kills the old one. I can use one blatant observation to support this. Basically, the new Dashboard takes the old Dashboard, puts the menu headers horizontally instead of vertically (which allows for easier viewing of which menu is where), and then takes each huge tile we use to swipe through horizontally and makes them smaller and all viewable at the same time. How are either of these bad?

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The new Dashboard kills the old one. I can use one blatant observation to support this. Basically, the new Dashboard takes the old Dashboard, puts the menu headers horizontally instead of vertically (which allows for easier viewing of which menu is where), and then takes each huge tile we use to swipe through horizontally and makes them smaller and all viewable at the same time. How are either of these bad?

In the old version, you could go up or down no matter where you were in the sub-category. Now, you have to go back to the top and then over.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I just find it clunky navigating a grid of squares with a joypad. You can tell Metro is a UI designed for touch, and I understand MS want to push kinect, but to be honest Kinect games have no appeal for me at all (I have a Wii that does that sort of thing better anyway), so it's a bit annoying they've gone for a UI that works best with an add-on that not everyone will need or even want.

Also, the Bing results for content on your xbox and on xbox live are a bit hit and miss - it usually finds everything, but the order can be quite strange. And finding game add-on material is more cumbersome than it used to be.

I think it could work, but could have done/still do with more user testing.

ilsonfan

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to disagree Pronk when you say the Wii does it better. Kinect is so much more than just tracking a remote and really does come into it's own when using the new dashboard

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I just got an xbox for Christmas, so I never saw the old dashboard, but i really like the current one, I think it's a pretty cool UI

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree Pronk when you say the Wii does it better. Kinect is so much more than just tracking a remote and really does come into it's own when using the new dashboard

Well the Wii does motion tracking *games* better, and that to me is what a games console should be about. Skyward Sword really sets the bar for that. And as kinect doesn't work well in a room the shape/size of mine, it isn't worth me buying one at all - but I'm still stuck with a best-with-kinect UI on my xbox now.

All the kinect games I've played have been simplistic mini-game affairs (with the exception of Child of Eden) or limited versions of/add-ons to "proper" games because that's more or less all you can do without buttons of some form. It's a great idea, but for games playing it's always going to be a bit hamstrung by that issue.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
@Judge_Daniel um, no? All you gotta do is hit RB/LB?

Yeah, but that isn't really intuitive. It took me like a week of using the beta to find it and then I had to tell my roommates to use it because they were mad at me for changing it to the beta. I still have one roommate (who, I'll admit, isn't the most tech-savvy person) that still navigates to the top and moves left and right, despite me telling him over and over.

Like I said, the bumpers and quicklist are the saving graces in this new UI. I just wish they were emphasized more or that there was a tutorial when you start up the new UI for the first time.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I like the new dashboard. It's quick to navigate, simple to use, and looks nice. My only complaints are, 1, the adverts (as stated in a different thread), and 2, there seems to be bug in the social section. The people you can see online are in fact, either not online or doing something completely different to what's indicated. There's zero correlation. Regarding the adverts... I'm a paying gold member so the dash doesn't need to be subsidised by adverts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923