How To Share Music and Pictures With XBOX

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Before I upgraded to Windows 8, I was able to stream my music with a picture slideshow with the standard music/picture apps under MEDIA on the XBOX. I also would do it with Windows Media Center.

Now on Windows 8, I go into the Music Player or Picture Viewer and it see's my main PC (PCNAME:MEDIA) but when it tries to play or located media, it will say it isn't found. I've checked every possible firewall or sharing setting and nothing will get it to see music or pictures. Under pictures, I can drill into a folder and see thumbnails and even bring a picture up but it refuses to do a slideshow. Under music, no matter if you close Album, Artist, Song, etc...it will spin for a while and then say NO MUSIC FOUND.

An alternative is Windows Media Center with Windows 8 (recently released) but it is much slower than before and no longer plays ZunePass music.

So, how do I get my XBOX to see my media, fully?

Thanks!
Brian

Last edited:

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds strange, but have you created a HomeGroup in Windows 8?

Charm Bar > Settings > Change PC Settings. HomeGroup. Enable. Share all, and make sure "Media Devices" is on.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Sounds strange, but have you created a HomeGroup in Windows 8?

Charm Bar > Settings > Change PC Settings. HomeGroup. Enable. Share all, and make sure "Media Devices" is on.

I never used Homegroups in the past because they always seemed a little "wonky." But I tried your suggestion. Now the XBOX doesn't see ANYTHING. It see's my pc name and Media Share name but in the past, I could at least see the picture folder but do not see them now. Does the XBOX need the Homegroup password? Because it never asks for it. Really hope to get this fixed.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Here is more info.
I go into the XBOX guide.
I slide over to MEDIA.
I choose picture viewer. It shows my shared pictures folder.
If I try SLIDESHOW at this point, it fails and says no pictures found. If I go into that directory and try SLIDESHOW, same thing, no pictures found.
If I drill down into a directory, I can see pictures. I can even do a slideshow of that directory.
When I try music, it always says no music found when at the first selection of Artist or Album. If I drill down into one of those categories, instead of showing me the songs, albums or artists, it starts to build current playlist and it may perhaps play a song or two.
Any suggestions at all?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Is your Windows 8 the version with Windows Media Player? If so I would try and use that to stream content.

Do you mean Windows Media CENTER? That is my preferred method to stream music/pictures however, in Windows 8, the extender to the XBOX is much worse than it was with Windows 7. It no longer can play XBOX Music Pass songs and it takes 20-100 seconds between each track.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills