Which is better??

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So which is better? Buying a downloadable game with your Microsoft account or just buying the CD? Reasons, Advantages and Disadvantages please.

thzman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Which is better??

You can't trade a downloaded game. But on the other hand you don't get the hassle with discs that might get scratched. So it's basically what you prefer.

Sent from my phone by airwaves.

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends on a few things.

Advantages:

1. If the game becomes corrupt you can redownload it.

2. No need to insert a disc so runs quietly.

Disadvantages:

1. Can't trade the game in once you have finished playing it.

2. Although anyone will be able to play the game on your console, only your gamertag will be able to play it on any other console.

3. The download can be removed from the marketplace at anytime.

I myself have about 10 on demand games. Mainly games i play little and often. Like Crysis and oblivion. As for me I'll just play these slowly untill I complete them and can always run through them again and again. Whereas games like Assassins creed and Batman I will play through only once or twice then trade them in.

Just remember, once you buy the game you're stuck with it and it's stuck with you. I can't see many being pulled from the store. But I have bought movies, deleted them to make space, only to find when I go to download the again they are no longer available. And with the next gen consoles right around the corner, who knows how long xbox 360 support will be around?

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Depends on a few things.

Advantages:

1. If the game becomes corrupt you can redownload it.

2. No need to insert a disc so runs quietly.

Disadvantages:

1. Can't trade the game in once you have finished playing it.

2. Although anyone will be able to play the game on your console, only your gamertag will be able to play it on any other console.

3. The download can be removed from the marketplace at anytime.

I myself have about 10 on demand games. Mainly games i play little and often. Like Crysis and oblivion. As for me I'll just play these slowly untill I complete them and can always run through them again and again. Whereas games like Assassins creed and Batman I will play through only once or twice then trade them in.

Just remember, once you buy the game you're stuck with it and it's stuck with you. I can't see many being pulled from the store. But I have bought movies, deleted them to make space, only to find when I go to download the again they are no longer available. And with the next gen consoles right around the corner, who knows how long xbox 360 support will be around?

So come to think of the worst part, that means you loose all downloaded games once you loose your account or gametag?
And CDs aside scratches will forever be there?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
If you purchase the CD, you can install it to your drive. This way, even if it scratches, all Microsoft looks for is that the game CD is present... doesn't run from it.

Therefore, scratches won't be a worry. More advantages than advantages of buying the CD.

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If you purchase the CD, you can install it to your drive. This way, even if it scratches, all Microsoft looks for is that the game CD is present... doesn't run from it.

Therefore, scratches won't be a worry. More advantages than advantages of buying the CD.

Actually when you install a game some games will run from both the DVD and the hard drive. Had this with assassins creed 2. Game was installed but at some point halfway through the game I get the can't read disc as its dirty or scratched error.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree, love the flexibility of physical media. I have picked up numerous games solely from trying a disc from a friend or family member.

Physical media goes on sale frequently and there are so many outlets to purchase from, ao competition helps. Digital media, especially from Microsoft, is rarely fairly priced and the offers and sales are very limited. For example, look at the first 100 or so arcade/full digital version games in the marketplace. Their prices do not reflect real work value. games on demand were often 3 times he price of the same game in stores.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Actually when you install a game some games will run from both the DVD and the hard drive. Had this with assassins creed 2. Game was installed but at some point halfway through the game I get the can't read disc as its dirty or scratched error.

Then that error was probably copied from the bad disc. My nephew's Black Ops disc was messed up. All I did was install my game disc and he continued to use his game disc.

Or... the part that needed to be read which lets the console know the disc is genuine was damaged also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3