Next box......sorry for the lame name

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So Major Nelson has posted a countdown for the upcoming expo. Rumours abound about it being the countdown to the successor to the 360. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I think the 360 is the best consol since nes, and im really curious to see what they have to show. If its "just" a little bit better specs I will be quite disappointed.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This generation of console is going to be very interesting.

The Wii U doesn't seem to have set the world alight. Theres the new xbox, PS3, Ouya, Steam box, and not forgetting the fact soo many people game on phones and tablets these days.

The Ouya is going to be massive. Cheap, and with the massive library of Ad Supported "free" content from Android. The only question is how long the console can keep up with the smartphones, and therefore how long is the lifecycle of the console? Although i guess if there are billions of them sold, people will still keep making content for it.

The Steam box is going to give the xbox and PS3 a real challenge, because content will be priced like Steam, but who knows if the hardware will be competitive with the 360/PS3.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As always, I am praying that MS really pushes the boat out hardware wise. The leaks and rumours seem to give the impression of rather underwhelming specs. I hope they design with the idea of it still being decent after a few years.

The Steam guys are not overly fond of the way MS works, and they have the clout and ability to deliver some compellingly priced software.

fingers crossed that they do not tamper with the controller. Looking forward to the Bluray player built in. And the current hardware is desperately in need of an upgrade, my dashboard is pretty slow since the last update.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For the past two years hasn't there been a rumor of the next Xbox at every single event Microsoft has made? The speculation always comes from wide varieties of sources, including big name ones. While I am looking forward to seeing what Microsoft has in store for their next console (officially!), what makes this upcoming CES Xbox rumor bigger than all the other rumors?

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
The Ouya is going to be massive. Cheap, and with the massive library of Ad Supported "free" content from Android. The only question is how long the console can keep up with the smartphones, and therefore how long is the lifecycle of the console? Although i guess if there are billions of them sold, people will still keep making content for it.
For me and many of my friends, tablets and smartphones are not even in the same ballpark as xbox and other consoles and it will be quite some time before it happens. Like GenDestroyer said when he reviewed Blockfall for WP8, Games on phones and tablets should be small and simple, theres no point in trying to make an "in depth" game for phones, if I want an in-depth game I want som awseome f...... s..... . :)

Dont get me wrong I play many games on both my phone and my iPad but thats just when Im waiting for the bus or in a boring meeting. I will always be ready to spend big bucks on a console like the 360 that has specs for a few years forward so it pushes the game developers to make better and better use of the platform.
Who didn't have goose bumps at the end of CoD MW2 or felt true anger and lust for revenge in Florence when Ezios family was betrayed.
As I said Ive played hundreds of games on different platforms, enjoyed the but forgotten them. But I still lie in my bed at night some times wondering if I made the right decision at the end of Far Cry 3 (oboy was that an epic journy or what).

I hope more people feel like me so that the industry can finance the big epic adventures. I sadens me that my friends at Dice who developed BF are skeptical if they will be able to continue making games such as BF BC and Mirrors Edge.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with you Nisse, I love the big epic games, and please thank your friends at Dice for the countless hours of fun I have had driving their tanks in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3. Great times.

With regard to gaming on my phone, not really my thing. It is certainly secondary to my Xbox 360 fun. I think that tablets and phones may be able to nicely supplement the Xbox experience and make it richer. MS has already started this with Smartglass, which to me is a very nice beta for what they are trying to achieve with the next one.

As for the previous comment regarding why this rumour is more valid, the later they come, the more valid they are. I have tended to view the rumours and give them a weighting as to the likelihood that they will see the light of day. The Wii U is out, the 360 has had a good run. I don't think MS would wait until after Sony launch the PS4. Although it will matter a bit less than last time. Getting out of the gates first made all the difference to the success of the 360. Thus time both are likely to be packing a Blu ray player. MS may of course let Sony show their hand first, MS may then do a Surface type event reveal.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with you Nisse, I love the big epic games, and please thank your friends at Dice for the countless hours of fun I have had driving their tanks in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3. Great times.
They will be glad to hear that instead of me constantly trying to get them to admit that they are working on Mirrors Edge 2 when they refer to that "big thing" they got going on :)

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
For me and many of my friends, tablets and smartphones are not even in the same ballpark as xbox and other consoles and it will be quite some time before it happens. Like GenDestroyer said when he reviewed Blockfall for WP8, Games on phones and tablets should be small and simple, theres no point in trying to make an "in depth" game for phones, if I want an in-depth game I want som awseome f...... s..... . :)

Dont get me wrong I play many games on both my phone and my iPad but thats just when Im waiting for the bus or in a boring meeting. I will always be ready to spend big bucks on a console like the 360 that has specs for a few years forward so it pushes the game developers to make better and better use of the platform.
Who didn't have goose bumps at the end of CoD MW2 or felt true anger and lust for revenge in Florence when Ezios family was betrayed.
As I said Ive played hundreds of games on different platforms, enjoyed the but forgotten them. But I still lie in my bed at night some times wondering if I made the right decision at the end of Far Cry 3 (oboy was that an epic journy or what).

I hope more people feel like me so that the industry can finance the big epic adventures. I sadens me that my friends at Dice who developed BF are skeptical if they will be able to continue making games such as BF BC and Mirrors Edge.

Ultimately, companies are gonna have to find a more economical way for everyone to enjoy console gaming in the future. Big budget titles just can't be sustained the way they are going. The industry is trying to find ways to get more money coming in. Gamers want to enjoy a rich experience without breaking the bank. Many gamers feel spending $60 on a half ass or bare bones product is ridiculous. Hence the whole battle over used games and the idea of DLC and how that is offered to consumers.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think CES is too early to announce the next XBox, at least if tradition and rumors are to be believed... If the console is slated for release this Fall, I'd think the official announcement would be held back till E3 or around there.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Ultimately, companies are gonna have to find a more economical way for everyone to enjoy console gaming in the future. Big budget titles just can't be sustained the way they are going. The industry is trying to find ways to get more money coming in. Gamers want to enjoy a rich experience without breaking the bank. Many gamers feel spending $60 on a half ass or bare bones product is ridiculous. Hence the whole battle over used games and the idea of DLC and how that is offered to consumers.

Exactly, we want great epic games but without the cost. The developers are just gonna have to come up with a solution, witch Im sure they will if there is money to be earned.
If its through ads, merchendise, colaboration with movie companys and so fourth, will have to whait and see.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, we want great epic games but without the cost. The developers are just gonna have to come up with a solution, witch Im sure they will if there is money to be earned.
If its through ads, merchendise, colaboration with movie companys and so fourth, will have to whait and see.

That's the issue though. The money isn't there. They aren't making enough money to justify the 100+ million dollars spent on the number of AAA being released. And I don't know if ads or merchandising will make that much of a difference. Its being done now and still, the industry is tapping itself out. At some point, the idea of less expensive, more pared down games like a Braid or Journey will have to be seriously discussed as being the norm, with AAA titles being more of a luxury rather than annual releases

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
That's the issue though. The money isn't there. They aren't making enough money to justify the 100+ million dollars spent on the number of AAA being released. And I don't know if ads or merchandising will make that much of a difference. Its being done now and still, the industry is tapping itself out. At some point, the idea of less expensive, more pared down games like a Braid or Journey will have to be seriously discussed as being the norm, with AAA titles being more of a luxury rather than annual releases

Yes, they sure do have a problem to solve. But the money is there, people spend gazillions every year on recreation like games, resturants, drugs, travel.....
The gaming industry needs to tap that cash and think outside the box. Maby the games could be sent through television and target a new audince not just gamers but everyone, erase the border between movie and game and move the game in to the red carpeted rooms. Then people wouldnt see it as toys and play but as fine culture.
Or maby games could be created much more cost effective, robots make cars, koreans draw the Simpsons.
Im not saying these are good idees im just saying, think outside the box.
Like Nokia did all these years ago when they put "Snake" in my Nokia 5110 :)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Nisse, I played the Mirror's Edge demo, enjoyed it, but never picked up the game. It can be bought second hand now for approx ?7, I may just pick it up.

Regarding showing at CES, that is nit the event I was talking about. MS no longer exhibit there in any big way. I think they announced that last year. I think it may be shown at E3, which is approximately half way through the year.

I would like to see it this year, November is good for me. But I could cope with it early next year.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
While it might be to early to announce it at CES, that doesn't mean we cannot have fresh rumors. So Here it goes:

Xbox 720 Specs: Eight-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8 Kernel? | Gamechup | Video Game News, Reviews, Features, Guides

"Xbox 720 Specs: Eight-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8 Kernel?"

"Microsoft Xbox 720 could have an eight-core CPU, according to new leaks.This latest rumour is via BD, who posts regularly on TGFC, which is a Chinese forum. What’s special about him? Well, he is an ex-Ubisoft employee, and claims to know all information about the Xbox 720, including the RAM, and plenty of other stuff.According to him, the Xbox 720 will have an eight-core CPU, and an 8800 series GPU. This also fits in with our previous report where we mentioned that the Xbox 720 could be running on a AMD HD 8000M graphics card.It is also said that Microsoft will be using Windows 8 kernel for the system, which is pretty straightforward, as they have been pushing it a lot. He said that it will have 8 GB memory and a 640 GB hard drive. Treat this with a grain of salt obviously, as nothing is confirmed yet. However, these are times when insiders can leak out information for a variety of reasons. E3 2013 will be held on June 13, so not long to go before Microsoft finally unveils the system to the world."

- If true, then that's one **** of a beastly console Microsoft is cooking.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Mirrors Edge on PS3 is one of my all time favorite games. The only game I liked so much after renting that I later bought it.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I will let you know, funnily enough, I may trade Battlefield 3 in for it. Either that or Portal 2, but I can't help be regret not doing more online with Portal 2.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I will let you know, funnily enough, I may trade Battlefield 3 in for it. Either that or Portal 2, but I can't help be regret not doing more online with Portal 2.
To be honest, i like BF3 very much, but even if I do play a bit online Im first and foremost a campaign player. So the BF games that I never get rid of is Bad Company 1 and 2 :)
That or game modes like Special Ops in CoD (I have an insane best time on sniperfy) is my favorite type of gameplay.
Thats why I think Far Cry 3 is at least on my top 3 all time best games.
Next on my "Shut-up-and-take-my-money-list" is the next Tomb Raider.

While we are more than a bit OT heres a little tip,
Make some Tea
Create a mix on Nokia Music with the artists Lykke Li, Weeping Willows and Bad Cash Quartet.
Light some candles
Get comfy on the couch with your dog or loved one and relax.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My guess: Brand new dashboard with new kernel that will allow Metro apps to be compiled for Xbox and run.

Take a look at how you use a controller to navigate the Xbox dashboard. Now, try to picture using a controller to navigate the current Metro apps. I don't know about you, but it seems easy and plausible to me.

I think it's a major software overhaul for the 360, or the Surface Xbox. The Xbox 360 successor is still further down the road, IMO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb