Xbox vNext specs leak

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Used game blocking would hurt me too. I support the used game market, unless I can find a new copy within $2-5$ of the cost of the used.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
We can squash this rumor now.

"Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games."

Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) -

This is coming from the people who started the original rumor to begin with.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
We can squash this rumor now.

"Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games."

Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) -

This is coming from the people who started the original rumor to begin with.

So essentially, don't get rid of your current 360 if there happens to be games you continue to want to play. Otherwise, you'll be shelling out another $150 for this Xbox Mini?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So essentially, don't get rid of your current 360 if there happens to be games you continue to want to play. Otherwise, you'll be shelling out another $150 for this Xbox Mini?

Not anything related to this thread at all..... but to answer your obvious question, yes.

Why would you get rid of your current console if you were interested in playing old games in the first place?....

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
"When used with Durango, it offers connectivity with it for backwards compatibility with both disc based and On Demand games, and it?s no more different than what Sony will be doing with Gaikai for playing PS3 games on PS4, only with Xbox it will be done locally and not through the cloud. "

1) A local backwards compatibility solution? Oh hell yeah. Place the new Durango side-by-side with the Xbox Mini and you eliminate either needing a big 360 alongside a big Durango or swapping out your old and new console whenever you want to play an old game

2) So... there will be no connectivity from the current Xbox 360 to Durango for backwards compatibility. That means backwards compatibility (using one primary device for both new and old) would actually COST $150 since you'd need a new Mini to connect.

Again, both consoles can be placed side by side and be always be plugged into the TV... but that's not actual backwards compatibility. So, $150 for the convenience of playing both new and old games on ONE console (connected to a hopefully very small Mini) or $0 to keep both machines hooked up and used independently. Hmmm... I guess it'd depend how much I missed my old games or if I just didn't care to lug out the old machine if I start playing the new one a lot.

I realize this is all leaked rumor/speculation/whatever, but I am responding in kind (i.e. My response as if the leak were true, or were to come true)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
"When used with Durango, it offers connectivity with it for backwards compatibility with both disc based and On Demand games, and it’s no more different than what Sony will be doing with Gaikai for playing PS3 games on PS4, only with Xbox it will be done locally and not through the cloud. "

1) A local backwards compatibility solution? Oh hell yeah. Place the new Durango side-by-side with the Xbox Mini and you eliminate either needing a big 360 alongside a big Durango or swapping out your old and new console whenever you want to play an old game

2) So... there will be no connectivity from the current Xbox 360 to Durango for backwards compatibility. That means backwards compatibility (using one primary device for both new and old) would actually COST $150 since you'd need a new Mini to connect.

Again, both consoles can be placed side by side and be always be plugged into the TV... but that's not actual backwards compatibility. So, $150 for the convenience of playing both new and old games on ONE console (connected to a hopefully very small Mini) or $0 to keep both machines hooked up and used independently. Hmmm... I guess it'd depend how much I missed my old games or if I just didn't care to lug out the old machine if I start playing the new one a lot.

I realize this is all leaked rumor/speculation/whatever, but I am responding in kind (i.e. My response as if the leak were true, or were to come true)

The sad thing is that this is no different from when the Xbox 360 came out. The Xbox 360 couldn't play Xbox games unless you had the $99 hard drive. The difference is that the hard drive was included on the more expensive package.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The sad thing is that this is no different from when the Xbox 360 came out. The Xbox 360 couldn't play Xbox games unless you had the $99 hard drive. The difference is that the hard drive was included on the more expensive package.
I think it might be different, actually. Depends on their implementation. There was an original xbox game I loved so much that I bought it, intending to use for my xbox 360. It wasn't ever made compatible... since MS needed to code in backward compatibility support and provide it as an update. This was true of the major titles like Halo but not everything came across and eventually they stopped updating games. Their backward compatibility was completely and entirely software based, since both systems used entirely different architectures.

This seems different. You're attaching a fully functional version of the Xbox 360, minus the disc drive. The Durango gives it a disc drive, and then it can tap into the old architecture of the 360 and use it to recognize the current game. Basically, it's a hardware-based backwards compatibility system, with the hardware being the actual system itself (in a much smaller package)

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Not anything related to this thread at all..... but to answer your obvious question, yes.

Why would you get rid of your current console if you were interested in playing old games in the first place?....

Are you saying my question isn't relevant to this thread? Considering we are discussing the next Xbox and the article you linked to talks about the specs of the next console, I think its highly relevant.

Further, there could be a number of reasons someone might not part with an old console. For me, its a matter of space, especially with a child on the way. I just purchased a Wii U. It can play my Wii games. So I have no need to keep it.

Last edited:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion they wont block used games, unless they have some kick *** alternative solution. Gamestop's top guy (I think) has given the next box glowing reviews. This same company has already gone on record to state that they are opposed to a used game block. For them to be so enthusiastic about the next one there has to be something in it for them. I doubt they would have been that positive otherwise. MS could consider allowing companies to provide online rentals. It is one way to stop the used game market.

As for always online, that may apply to some features, but would be suicide for it to be mandatory.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion they wont block used games, unless they have some kick *** alternative solution. Gamestop's top guy (I think) has given the next box glowing reviews. This same company has already gone on record to state that they are opposed to a used game block. For them to be so enthusiastic about the next one there has to be something in it for them. I doubt they would have been that positive otherwise. MS could consider allowing companies to provide online rentals. It is one way to stop the used game market.

As for always online, that may apply to some features, but would be suicide for it to be mandatory.

Can you provide a link please?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Can you provide a link please?

A link to what? I was giving my opinion. Do you mean the glowing comments from the Gamestop guy? They were everywhere a few weeks ago. His comments were unfortunate in one sense as he suggests words to the effect that "...the next Xbox will be red hot", which was pounced on by a few due to the early 360s suffering from overheating.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077