Next Xbox new rumor that better be wrong. No second hand games

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah savings being passed down to the consumer... Dont think thats ever happened in the history of consumerism... Will probably charge us more for "unforseen digital storage solutions"

And youve got to imagine that if games are all digital download they would include some sort of free trial period of the full game

Well, games are cheaper on Steam. Which may be my solution going forward.

codylew

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Going all digital and eliminating secondhand games is fine. I buy most all games new or digital anyways. The "only online" thing will kill the console. just look at the outcry when Blizzard did it for Diablo III. It was a disaster. Many people use their Xbox without internet connection. I really do not see them going this route. I have owned a Xbox from the moment they were released and I can say I would not be getting one if it always required an internet connection.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I find it really hard to find all game distributers and all consoles to be onboard with this. I mean literally every single person involved with Xbox, or playstation, or the games need to be onboard with this! Not only that but now Nintendo has to do the same thing with there console and games. Its just going to be a mess.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, here's another thing. We have a Video Games Society at the university. We often bring in games to play them with each other. After all, that's what we're about. If everyone gets on board with this, they're going to get rid of all video game societies and groups in one foul swoop with this. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to go to groups of games and play together there?

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I find it really hard to find all game distributers and all consoles to be onboard with this. I mean literally every single person involved with Xbox, or playstation, or the games need to be onboard with this! Not only that but now Nintendo has to do the same thing with there console and games. Its just going to be a mess.

First, this rumor has been around for almost a year now. And word was both MS and Sony are considering this.

Second, many developers and publishers have come out and said they would be in support of this. As much as they claim to be about the gamer (and some are to an extent), they are all in a he business of making money. The used game and rental market has cut into that and they clearly see it as a huge issue for this to even be a discussion. As I have said before, the gaming industry has some big decisions to make in the coming year or so.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
This is how XBLA is now. I can play on my console when I'm online or off and play on a friends console only when logged in. Steam is like this now. Besides the always on internet thing I don't see much of a problem. Devs are going to start doing that themselves anyway. Disc installs game, code unlocks it and links it to your account and console.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
First... if this is true... i hope the games become cheaper to reflect this... and im surprised sites like "gamefly" or whatever aren't up in arms... this would essentially destroy their company completely..

The always online thing I can see, if they are doing an updated voice control system, it may need to be online all the time to be able to parse your sentences and send back the proper commands.. But if that is the case, it should still allow you to either turn it off for the paranoid people out there, or not block your games if the internet goes out (just block voice or whatever else it is).

I am curious to see if they stop the 2nd hand gaming. I can see the reasons for it, but i don't think it's the wisest move. I agree though if something like this happens, both Sony and MS will have to do it together.. and Nintendo too really.. But many people will just rebel against "the man" and get ouyo (whatever it's called) or the steam box when it comes out and cut into the xbox market share and profits to help making xbox better after this and to MS in general for other departments like Windows Phone 8... Though it is 100% rumor right now and though it's been "confirmed"... many things get "confirmed" all the time and get proven wrong... i.e. that nokia employee notification center tease that was falsified about 30 minutes after the article came out...

Basically i just wish i knew someone uppity in MS so I could get the inside scoup myself and not have to read rumors and maybes and wait for the release and launch events... But here is hoping it all works out for the best!

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't bother you that you are in effect renting a game you bought? What if you want to go bring Halo 7 (or whatever) over to your friend's house to play co-op in person?

What makes you think you own any of the software you use, play, etc? You best read the fine print.

Also, I got a fine bridge that's for sale. PM me if interested.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Xbox 360 since 2006. No red ring of death either. But I only like a month ago just bought a WiFi adapter for it. And just got live gold for 35 bucks. BUT the last time I bought a new game was back around when I first got my system. I don't have 50 or 60 bucks to buy games just to let them later sit and collect dust. Another reason for me not buying into new games is I WANT freaking two player mode at least on games. You know to actually have fun playing with a friend in the same house! That is the way games were meant to be, to be FUN. So if I see a game I like I have no problem waiting to find it for $20 or less.be it new or used. I don't have a problem with patience though. But if these new systems do what is rumored ill just do emulators on my desktop and say screw giving anyone my money for a game.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
.. But many people will just rebel against "the man" and get ouyo (whatever it's called) or the steam box when it comes out
Steam already requires an internet connection to be able to play your games. There is an offline mode, but supposedly it works for a maximum of 30 days at a time at which point it needs to "check in" again. No idea about the OUYA console.

This whole idea could be detrimental to those who live out in the sticks and/or people who have shoddy internet connections. When I worked Xbox support back in the day, I would get many calls from people who were out in the middle of who knows where with unreliable internet or satellite that went out... or couldn't connect because the service wasn't fast enough.

This idea would also pretty much screw over all of our military. As former military man myself, I know how fun it was to walk into a room loaded with Xbox's and people playing multiplayer Halo or whatever... this was when we were in the middle of the ocean on a ship. And while I was out of the military when StarCraft II came out, I heard grumblings from people who kind of got screwed over after having ordere the game by mail but unable to activate for long periods of time. No LAN play kind of killed it, too, but that's an issue for Blizzard.

This is how XBLA is now. I can play on my console when I'm online or off and play on a friends console only when logged in.
The way I read it anyway, if the console REQUIRES an internet connection to function, then you wouldn't be able to play any games offline. That's not like XBLA.

Last edited:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I cannot see them requiring a permanent connection. The majority may have it but not everyone does.

I am sure that they would like to get everyone to buy new games, but I suspect this will not be mandatory. You will just require online activation codes. Most EA games require this already. A game may be tied to a console and also a gamer to allow multiple users in the house to play a game, like current Arcade games.

Always on voice recognition is not my thing. I would need a way to turn it off. Same with Kinect as standard, not a good idea in my opinion and not cost effective. Just the box and the controllers are all I want packaged in there. Keep the costs down to just essential hardware.

Heard lots about it having 8GB of ram. Although I heard PS 4 will only have 4, it is supposed to be quicker. Anyone know how these will compare? Which prevails?

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I cannot see them requiring a permanent connection. The majority may have it but not everyone does.

I am sure that they would like to get everyone to buy new games, but I suspect this will not be mandatory. You will just require online activation codes. Most EA games require this already. A game may be tied to a console and also a gamer to allow multiple users in the house to play a game, like current Arcade games.

Always on voice recognition is not my thing. I would need a way to turn it off. Same with Kinect as standard, not a good idea in my opinion and not cost effective. Just the box and the controllers are all I want packaged in there. Keep the costs down to just essential hardware.

Heard lots about it having 8GB of ram. Although I heard PS 4 will only have 4, it is supposed to be quicker. Anyone know how these will compare? Which prevails?

This stuff will be mandatory if publishers and developers demand it.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This stuff will be mandatory if publishers and developers demand it.

damn hoping they don't. I picked up quite a few games second hand and then from friends. Many of which I then bought the sequel to. Seems like a hugs. Waste of resources to expect everyone to have their own copy and make it useless once they had rinsed it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

My friend told me that because SONY found a leak of specs for the xbox, which had 8GB of RAM inside that they're bumping the RAM to 8GB instead of 4GB, which I'm very happy because I will be buying a PS4 and by praying to the all mighty PlayStation god's that they will make PS4 backward compatible with PS3 games or some kind of download so when you put the disc in it will download it onto the PS4 or something :sweaty:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Paddy, does your friend work for Sony or is he just an enthusiastic amateur like ourselves? Not pulling down your source, I am so thirsty for solid knowledge on these things it scares me. I had read all over that the PS4 will have 4GB of fast RAM, but the Xbox will have 8GB of slower RAM. Now if Sony did double the faster RAM they would have a beast of a rig.

I will be getting the Xbox, so I am desperate for it to be on the same level as the PS4. Not seen many credible rumours that the Xbox will be more powerful though, which disappoints me a bit. Lord I hope they don't bog down the dashboard too much. I find the current one has just broke the limit, the thing is so slow now.

Backwards compatibility is not something I have ever wanted, until now. I only want it for my downloaded purchases though, like the Arcade games. Would be a shame to lose them.

Last edited:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Paddy, does your friend work for Sony or is he just an enthusiastic amateur like ourselves? Not pulling down your source, I am so thirsty for solid knowledge on these things it scares me. I had read all over that the PS4 will have 4GB of fast RAM, but the Xbox will have 8GB of slower RAM. Now if Sony did double the faster RAM they would have a beast of a rig.

I will be getting the Xbox, so I am desperate for it to be on the same level as the PS4. Not seen many credible rumours that the Xbox will be more powerful though, which disappoints me a bit. Lord I hope they don't bog down the dashboard too much. I find the current one has just broke the limit, the thing is so slow now.

Backwards compatibility is not something I have ever wanted, until now. I only want it for my downloaded purchases though, like the Arcade games. Would be a shame to lose them.

No just an enthusiastic amerture unless there something he not telling me :wink: he has an xbox and he also trying to choice which one would be best. I think he found it on a website I will ask and report back.

I would say wait and see what they will announce for the PS4 then wait for E3 for Xbox both should be out for sale before Christmas which should give people time to decide which will be best for themselves.

However this is my own crazy theory :wink:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The wait will be fine, I need time to save up. I have a house in need of some things, so Mrs P will take some convincing too. She seems to be opposed to me spending ?300 on a new console when my 360 works perfectly well. She just does not get it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The wait will be fine, I need time to save up. I have a house in need of some things, so Mrs P will take some convincing too. She seems to be opposed to me spending ?300 on a new console when my 360 works perfectly well. She just does not get it.

My tech website Techradar has gathered up all the rumored information about the PS4 including 8GB of RAM take a look and join the dark side :wink:

PS4 release date, news and rumours | News | TechRadar

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If I could use the controller, I would have considered it long ago. I had a PS1 yonks ago, then waited for the PS2, but it seemed to get delayed, or I had other priorities, I can't fully recall. One day a friend came by and brought his Dreamcast. Oh lord, that controller felt so much better, and had triggers! I then moved on to the Xbox. It also had lovely triggers, although was a little large. The layout just seemed so much better. Boom, 360 hit the streets and I was in heaven. The controller on it is just perfect.

I have looked at Tech Radar and just about every other source on the web. I am swimming in information, the hard bit is sorting the wheat from the chaff. I am in the Xbox camp now, but if the PS4 is significantly better I may consider it.

Frustratingly, much of the stuff I have read seems to put the PS4 ahead. We will know half the story on 20th February, when the announcement from Sony comes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3