Initial NextBox vs PS4 Specs

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So the big reveal last night of PS4 happened. While over all I was underwhelmed and the presentation as a whole was bad, we did receive some official specs of the PS4. Surely enough, they were mostly on par with the leaks we've seen previously.

Xbox 720/vNextPlaystation 4
CPU Architecturex64x86
CPU8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU1.2 TFLOPS, Custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine
Memory8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk DriveBuilt-inBuilt-in
Optical Drive50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc driveBlu-ray Disc drive 6xCAV
NetworkGigabit Ethernet
Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth? 2.1 (EDR)

Also if we go by leaks, the NextBox would also have:

- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)

- from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec

So over all, the PS4 looks to be more capable and with the new DDR5 of memory, would have more bandwidth and perhaps a better GPU. However, someone points out that the ESRAM being parallel to GPU, this could provide a bump for the NextBox to be nearly as capable as the PS4.

So at this point, I hope the leaked specs of the nextbox are legit or wrong in the sense that the real specs give it a slight edge.

Source: http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-xbox-720-vnext-vs-sony-playstation-4-spec-comparison/

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think MS is very capable of edging Sony in getting the most out of everything about the system, including OS, GUI, and live features. One thing that does concern me are exclusive titles. Ive never owned a PS3, but clearly they had more exclusives that people seemed to want.

MS really needs to do a better job in expanding its exclusive library. Specs wont mean much if Sony continues to lead in AAA exclusives.

And if anyone else watched Sony's reveal last night. You have to have hope that at the very least, when MS debuts their console, that they can give a much better presentation. That thing last night was just bad, and mostly boring. Sure they held some things back but they chose to hype the reveal up. I will be shocked if MS doesnt do a better job. Though must admit, I am shocked Sony did as poor a job.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think PS4 or even PS3 could compare to Sony's exclusives library during the PS1 and PS2 era. Back then they had hard-hitters like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Ace Combat, Jak and Daxter. Heck, even *good* brands such as Zone of the Enders had trouble flying up against their top tier titles (e.g. MGS). But as of PS3/360 those studios, i.e. Konami, Namco and Square Enix had gone multi-platform, there simply isn't as much in the way of top end titles (besides Gran Turismo, Unchartered, LBP, Naughty Dog and Insomniac games) to push people to just Sony.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
1st point - I know nothing much about tech specs.... Just giving my thoughts.

I think that MS have underpowered the next Xbox when compared to the Playstation specs. I am a bit gutted that the PS will have better RAM and higher performing other tech.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I didn't know that both consoles are switching to x86 architecture. I have to wonder how long it will take until someone gets the Xbox or PS4 OS running on a PC. Or maybe the other way around, get Windows running on an Xbox or PS4?

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
And if anyone missed the announcement here is a short version for your enjoyment

[video=youtube;0rJDn0jRnUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0rJDn0jRnUQ[/video]

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I will be going with the next Xbox, not matter what the specs are, compared to Sony's next system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs