Anyone bought Xolo Win q900s or Micromax Canvas Win W121?

anon(5844482)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If anyone has bought the Xolo phone, please post an unboxing review of the phone on WPCentral. There is real lack of actual hands-on reviews for this phone.

Also if anyone bought Micromax WP, please post your experience.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i am not that a good reviewer to post a complete unboxing review. but a few facts i can post.

1. it feels incredibly light. even u put on the flip cover came along, still its light. flip cover is awesome and adds to the elegance.
2. excellent grip and hold due to the dimensions. can be used easily by one hand, though i am now habitual with two hands.
3. display is also nice. brightness and contrasts are also nice.
4. battery does survive for a day.
5. games also work well. i tried subway surfer and Angry Birds Rio. i am not a gamer.
6. speaker phone and the speaker produces loud enough sound. haven't tried the headphones yet.
7. i tried both SIM sockets one by one, not together. i think it can handle GSM and CDMA in the same place. (at least it shows so).
8. touch responsive feels normal. (that mean good, as my mind compares it with 720)

something i didn't like: -
1. no ambiance sensor / settings. : only three options low / medium / high for the brightness. it eats a bit more battery.
2. either the display or the screenguard is clumsy. i am gonna change it today. it creates problem by reflecting and fingerprints.
3. there is a major problem with video play. no HD videos can be played. it breakes and the sound differs with the video. even the animation in Amazing Weather HD doesnot play.
4. No zoom for the camera. no pinch zoom nor any keys. though camera takes good pics, unavailability of zoom make it fail. Nokia Camera is also not there as solution.
5. hardware keys are a bit hard to press as compared to my old 720 but, dedicated camera key which i preferred always, is there.
6. operating keys (win, back and search) are other way round than nokia i.e. search key is in left and back key is in right. win key logo is missing. there is just a ring looks like cortana.
7. as there is not automatic setting for brightness and i am keeping it at low, have to use light theme instead of dark. otherwise small text size and dark colors make it unreadable. ( i am referring to calender specifically and other. calender does have font, u can call very small)

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
update:

battery is not up to the mark. cannot survive a busy or lay off day.
busy day, it looses power by evening. if u play games, or keen 3g on all the time, u may end up with phone slept by afternoon.
further, yesterday, my phone ran out of battery and went dead. funny thing is, when i rebooted by charging in eve after reaching home, the date / time settings wiped out.

Pistooli

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
update:

battery is not up to the mark. cannot survive a busy or lay off day.
busy day, it looses power by evening. if u play games, or keen 3g on all the time, u may end up with phone slept by afternoon.
further, yesterday, my phone ran out of battery and went dead. funny thing is, when i rebooted by charging in eve after reaching home, the date / time settings wiped out.

Similar experience with Allview Impera S. Very similar indeed... :(

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Any news regarding battery life and the latest DP update? I did notice a improvement on my Prestigio 8500, but that phone doesn't last a full day either and becomes very hot when browsing the internet.

I just ordered the Xolo Win Q900s because the phone looks really great, makes my Prestigio looks very cheap. I also like the fact that you get a flipcase and a screen protector included!

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
the flipcase is really something. it's nice and definitely useful. plus it makes it look awesome.
screen protector is not much of use i think. i mean we do need screen protector, and in this case, we get two (one on the phone and one extra in the box) but, it's kinda reflective, which irritates us sometime by reducing the readability.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i am not finding battery much improved. but, it may be out of habit now, i reduced the usage and anyway, i was busy with my work due to some deadlines, i am using the phone strictly for calling only.
still, i think i will change to Lumia 730 soon it arrives. unable to play simple hd videos which can be played on 520, is a huge turn down for me in this phone.
one thing i can say about this phone is that, this is a tough guy. it survived well in a fall from my shirt pocket when i was riding my bike. the flipcase got scratches and phone got a small scratch on one corner, but apart from that, nothing.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thats pretty impressive! About the HD playback, have you tried MoliPlayer? My Prestigio rund a SD200 as well and HD goes out of sync, but if I use MoliPlayer it works just fine.

That screen protector is really needed? I always use Liquid Glass and never had a scratch even on normal glass like Galaxy Nexus that didn't even had gorilla glass.

Thank you for your feedback, still eagerly awaiting the device.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i will check out moliplayer. i haven't tried that.

where u can get Liquid Glass? i am from India, and i don't know whether its available in India. i will try to find.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone for three days now and I'm going to compare it with the Prestigio DUO 8500 (same as the Micromax Canvas)

1. The screen on the q900s is brighter and sun readability is better, also has better contrast, but has a yellowish tint to it. The 8500 has a bigger screen and a cooler tint to it but gives a weird 16 bit color issue on 24 bit wallpapers. Can't really explain it in English, sorry. You see a green tint. Don't see this on the q900s.
  2. q900s doesn't lag or stutter. The 8500 does have this when you scroll through apps or multitask between them. also get pretty hot around the camera while the q900s becomes hot on the screen but not the case itself. I personally prefer that more.
  3. Camera on the 8500 is hands-down better then on the q900s. Focuses faster, better quality, more responsive.
  4. I'm not sure about connectivity. I ran on UK region settings for Cortana and my 2g/3g/WiFi connection dropped periodically and it took some time before it turned back on. I thought I had a bad batch or something. I've switched to my native language (Dutch) and I haven't experienced calls dropping or data connection being lost. Very strange! Must be a 8.1.1 bug.
  5. Battery life is interesting. I'm averaging around 21 hours before I have to recharge. Phone tells me I have around 1 day and 16 hours remaining when I unplug at 100%. The 8500 would say I'd have around 17 hours before it ran dry and yes, the q900s' 1800 mAh battery has better stamina compared to the Prestigio's 2000 mAh battery.

Overall I'm very happy with the q900s. I took off the screen protector because that caused a serious issue with readability in sunlight. Coated the whole device in liquid glass and the rubberized case feels better, good grip. Screen looks gorgeous. I only have to get used to the thin profile and how light it is because I have the constant fear that I will break it. :angel:

deniswp

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I really wanted to like the Xolo Q900S:
This is a very sexy phone, very light and very classy (even if the screen's whites are yellowish compared to my Prestigio Duo 8500 or Lumia 730).
BUT...
But I've never been able to get data to work: even if connected to a maximum of 'H', I've never been able to get IE or WhatsApp work, for instance.
Annoying, but not that bad I thought. That's why I wrote over a week ago to Xolo Support.
Three days after writing I got an answer in which I was told to reset my phone and try again. I immediately answered back saying that I did just that and that data is still not working.
Four business days later, no answer from Support!

In other words, I do not recommend buying a Xolo:
If you're lucky enough to get a smartphone that works fine, it's all good. If not, forget it: Support is appalling and now I've got a sexy phone that is dusting in a closet...
Stay away from Xolo!

Arun George1

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Don't buy this phone, because it has connectivity issue, almost all win q900s have wifi connectivity issue, some have data connectivity issue, in all other things it is good, but connectivity is very important thing, better buy micromax win w121, it has no major complaints, only drawback for micromax win w121 is touch response is not good as Lumia or xolo

Andy2190

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have been using the Micromax Canvas Win121 Windows Mobile for 2months now.
I gotta say the experience has been sweet. Both with the hardware of Micromax and the awesome Windows 8.1 experience.

Pros:-
1) Gr8 OS
2) Camera outdoors is very good.
3) Size of the mobile is perfect for reading emails ,FB, Watsapp etc.
4) Its not too big in the pocket.
5) Battery life is also pretty good from my experience.

Cons:-
1) Low light (in-doors) camera is not all that good.
2) The microphone in the VDO recording is not so good, the volume is not very loud.
3) Not many retailers have accessories like flip cover or screen protector.

However, I my experience its an amazing phone (WP) and value for money. BTW it beat the **** of Samsung in pics, with my frds at least.
For the amazing cost of Rs8000 or USD 130, its freaking awesome. (I bought it from amazon.in)

Antush Sharma

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Xolo Win Q900s has very common WiFi connectivity related issues. Some of the games such as Candy Crush Saga lags on this handset.

The handset is now receiving the Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 update....!!

anon(5844482)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I got this phone for my Dad recently. The display is amazing, so is the performance. Here is one unique thing I noticed:

It has an option to export contacts to sim. No other Windows Phone I know gives this option. When I try to save a contact, it gives me two options: Hotmail and Airtel (gmail is not configured). This is amazing!

Also HD videos play smoothly without the need of any encoding.

Atul Malhotra

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I would never buy a Windows phone from any company other than Microsoft/Nokia.. Why would you buy a Windows phone
which wont give you many good things Microsoft reserves for their own phones ? Also, I would be very apprehensive
about updates and don't even get me started on after sales. My 2 year old Lumia 720 fell twice in the last 2 years
and both times the mike went bust. The first time it was in warranty, and I was out of Nokia Care in 5 mins flat.
The second time it took about 5 mins again, though I had to pay 600 bucks coz it was out if warranty. I have heard some really
horrible stories about Xolo and Micro max after sales network. No one can beat Nokia Care !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky