Zune pass for Android and iPhone

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So if we reverse the question, if nokia's ovi maps was available for WP7 would that make people more attracted to symbian? Or would they just carry on using it on their device of choice?

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
So if we reverse the question, if nokia's ovi maps was available for WP7 would that make people more attracted to symbian? Or would they just carry on using it on their device of choice?

Nokia's ovi maps and other services of its vast ecosystem will sooner or later be available on WP7. There is a reason why Nokia renames them to 'Nokia Services'. You are trying to draw a flawed analogy between the cases of Symbian - Nokia services and WP7 - MS services. Symbian is discontinued and won't receive the updates.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nokia's ovi maps and other services of its vast ecosystem will sooner or later be available on WP7. There is a reason why Nokia renames them to 'Nokia Services'. You are trying to draw a flawed analogy between the cases of Symbian - Nokia services and WP7 - MS services. Symbian is discontinued and won't receive the updates.

Its just a theoritical question, whether its ovi maps or google maps, the point is to ask the question from a WP7 users perspective, ie if having a competitors desired application on WP7 makes them more inclined to switch to that competing platform, to counter the point being discussed that Zune pass on ios or android would make those users more inclined to use WP7.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

It might make people be open to the idea of trying out Nokia phones at the store. (if there are any)

Most people don't know what Symbian even is. But they might make the assumption that Nokia devices would be the very best for using ovi.

Just like people assume that Google products probably are better on Android.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
dont think they should give ZUNE to other Platforms (OS ) what they should do is simply make it easyer for people to switch

Like when MAC was switching all PC files to MAC files for free if you got a MAC..

MS should do the same but from Iphone/Android to WP.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be beneficial to offer Zune services to others. But make the best Zune experience on Windows Phone.

I happen to believe that the Windows Phone OS is pretty cool. And having a service available somewhere else won't make people run away.

If the good experience people have with Zune makes them associate positive things with Microsoft's services, that helps Windows Phone. Because to get the very best of Zune, you have to go to Windows Phone.

I just don't like it when MS releases a better version of a product on another platform. That doesn't make sense.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be beneficial to offer Zune services to others. But make the best Zune experience on Windows Phone.

I happen to believe that the Windows Phone OS is pretty cool. And having a service available somewhere else won't make people run away.

If the good experience people have with Zune makes them associate positive things with Microsoft's services, that helps Windows Phone. Because to get the very best of Zune, you have to go to Windows Phone.

I just don't like it when MS releases a better version of a product on another platform. That doesn't make sense.

I happen to think the best Zune experience is on a PC or laptop. The Zune experience on the Xbox 360 is pretty great too. I think that is where MS could build dependence on the Zune portion of the ecosystem. They should be more aggressive with free Zune Pass trials on the Xbox 360 and the PC. Actually, they should give away 6 months of Zune Pass with every Xbox 360 or PC purchased. They should have a better structure for storing and accessing libraries or playlists in the cloud. Then people would think, "I absolutely love this Zune service and I want to keep my Zune Pass but I need a WP phone to get the most of it."

Making the Zune service available on iOS or Android would definitely hurt WP.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It might make people be open to the idea of trying out Nokia phones at the store. (if there are any)

Most people don't know what Symbian even is. But they might make the assumption that Nokia devices would be the very best for using ovi.

Just like people assume that Google products probably are better on Android.

If they werent attracted to WP7 in the first place I doubt a service that is similar to others available on competing platforms would change that. Its a USP for WP7, getting rid of it at a time when they need as many reasons as possible for people to choose a WP7 device is counterintuitive. apple users, for example would just use the service and continue with their idevices as they already have what they want in a smartphone.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft should first bring Zune Pass to all current and potential WP7 users, i.e. Canada among others! I'm not sure of the problem...is it licensing and Canadian copyright policy? Honestly I wouldn't even mind a limited selection of music through Zune (similar to Netflix), but give me something to at least make my WP7 device feel complete, albeit imperfectly.

Mostly licensing issues and the insane cost of trying to sign a different licensing deal for every country they want to release the Zune marketplace.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It's pretty much "spamming" the other platforms. It sounds like a negative word, but it's basically mass advertising.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What I'd like to see is if Zune Pass had a movie service attached to it. Maybe if you paid $25 per month, you have your music service, but in addition to that, you could stream a bunch of movies for free like Netflix. And for newer movies, you could rent them for $0.99 (going to the production studio). Much cheaper than those without Zune Pass.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
What I'd like to see is if Zune Pass had a movie service attached to it. Maybe if you paid $25 per month, you have your music service, but in addition to that, you could stream a bunch of movies for free like Netflix. And for newer movies, you could rent them for $0.99 (going to the production studio). Much cheaper than those without Zune Pass.

I've been wishing for that ever since I discovered Zune Pass...

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I hope they never make the Zune pass available to other platforms. If you want Zune pass greatness get a Windows Phone. Sense I have a WP I don't have a problem with it.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

yay an other Service i wouldnt get in CANADA! lol.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple would never allow it...Zune would be an Itune killer.

I'm guessing (only guessing) that Microsoft's license only extends to Windows based PCs and that's why there's no Zune on the Mac. It's like how Hulu removed video playback from the HP Touchpad because Hulu doesn't have a licensing deal to cover it.

Nettwerk

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Since I switch from Apple products (iPhone4, MacOS X (well I'll not going to sell my iMac)) to Windows Phone 7, I bought from Microsoft Windows 7 and Office 2010. And seriously when I tried Zune Pass I love it. This is reason why I will not switch back to MacOS X. And I hope Microsoft will keep Zune pass for MS products, Windows, Windows Phone, XBox etc.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Zune Pass for the masses!

I'm for anything that boosts Microsoft's Zune Pass business model and associated Zune subscription prices; and I'd guess that means selling it to as many users on as many platforms in as many countries as possible. Microsoft is still primarily a software and computing services company. Certainly, Microsoft saw Office for the Mac as being good for Office and Microsoft. My guess is that MS will be focused on improving a still-new Zune and services for the various Win platforms, and readying the software and services for Win8. I'm more interested in the hardware giants buying into and selling lots of WP7-and-beyond devices with Zune, than I am in what Apple and Google get or not.

Last edited:

AndrewakaMJ

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's my perspective: Zune Pass is the best thing about my Focus. It is what will keep me on WP. I've used WM, webOS, and Android only briefly on a WM with dual boot, and have always contemplated checking out Android or iOS just to see what the competition has. I also like using linux on my computer. However, because I love Zune so much, it's what has me locked in to WP, and because of that, it also has me using Windows 7 on my computer. Make Zune available on Android and Linux and I may spend some time over there for awhile...so in my opinion, keep it exclusive for Windows and WP...lock people in to the system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)