Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By boss.king
  • 1 Post By HeyCori
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Long expected Zune brand retirement. :happy:

http://www.wpcentral.com/ms-retiring...ding-windows-8

Just Sharing. :)

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Thanks, TWB. Yes, expected. If and when ZunePass itself -or its downloading/price features by any othername- goes, I'm poised to migrate to BlackBerry, and in case that goes first, I'm scanning for other risky options because I love living on the edge. :)
    Every choice involves compromising...
    Zune Pass Rocks and rolls and jazzes and...
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)...

Let's hope Xbox live will have fewer issues that Zune. (I am by the way a happy Zunepass user).

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I've grown fond of the Zune brand, I'll be sad to see it go. Hopefully Music will keep the same colour scheme
    X0LARIUM likes this.

When the recent rumours regarding Apollo were leaked 'bye bye Zune' was something I firmly believed would come to light. I mean, it just makes sense. For starters, "Zune" just doesn't resonate with anything 'Windows'. It sounds like a cheap pair of roller skates. Secondly, the software itself isn't worth getting too excited about. Fair enough it does the job to a degree, but I've never really rated it. It's quite slow and bit clunky. It doesn't communicate with the 360, you can't formulate playlists on the move, and it doesn't back up your purchased files via the cloud. It also a little buggy and there are big issues with Microsoft's current billing system... which is comforting to know is also being overhauled in Windows 8.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    When the recent rumours regarding Apollo were leaked 'bye bye Zune' was something I firmly believed would come to light. I mean, it just makes sense. For starters, "Zune" just doesn't resonate with anything 'Windows'. It sounds like a cheap pair of roller skates. Secondly, the software itself isn't worth getting too excited about. Fair enough it does the job to a degree, but I've never really rated it. It's quite slow and bit clunky. It doesn't communicate with the 360, you can't formulate playlists on the move, and it doesn't back up your purchased files via the cloud. It also a little buggy and there are big issues with Microsoft's current billing system... which is comforting to know is also being overhauled in Windows 8.
    This. Now I know lots of us here on wpcentral are fond of Zune, but for Microsoft to consolidate brands and get people familiar with the ecosystem Zune has to go. Xbox is a great brand that people already recognize unlike Zune so when Microsoft announces Xbox music and video/movies, people will be like cool more features. If Microsoft had to work with the Zune name its already a disadvantage to the platform because you have to educate people in order for them to understand it.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

The umpteen brands under the Microsoft umbrella serve to confuse the average computer owner. Most average consumers were unaware of what Zune even is.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    Assuming the rumors are true... I really liked the Zune brand, I even liked the name. The software is great and has helped me find a ton of great artist. However, I think Microsoft is taking the right approach by evolving the service. Zune will have its legacy through the current Windows Phone UI, but the personal MP3 player market is in the decline. The market has changed and it's time for Zune to change with it. Renaming it Microsoft Music makes it easier for the general populous to understand. If they can work some magic and create a free Pandora like service with the option to purchase songs/albums then that will just be awesome.
    AKA Preluva likes this.

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    It's understandable, given that the name is associated with my beautiful, but discontinued devices. Strangers will still admire my silver one, in particular, and ask what it is. But, that they have to ask is telling, and then I have to tell them that it's discontinued and that even used ones can go for >$400, but that this is also telling.

A Zune Pass, by any other name, will sound as sweet...

I do hope that they retain the "desktop" software as it is. I have learned to use it very efficiently, and for such a complex streaming, 6-device syncing, and organizing platform, it rarely stumbles.

As long as my 120 gb Zune and WP7 works with the music app, and I still get a "zune" pass with 10 monthly credits, they could call it whatever they want. I'm dieing to get a windows 8 tablet.
    Current Phone: HTC Trophy

Device: Zune 120

Previous Phones:
    Audiovox Thera 2032, Samsung SCH-i600, UTStarcom XV-6700, HTC XV6800, Motorola Qm, Kin TwoM, Samsung Omnia II

Now that WinMo is all but dead and buried, they should launch a Windows Media service. Zune player can become Windows Media Player as on the WinMo devices, and Windows Media Marketplace can be it's content sales channel. It would incorporate into the Windows Marketplace of course, as it does now. Windows Media Pass can replace Zune pass.

:)

Has anyone heard of confirmed features for Xbox Music? Tiered music pass prices? Streaming music videos? Shared family libraries? Cloud Music locker?

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    The sync and Zune, or whatever they call it now, are not working in the preview version of Win 8.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Hey thanks for buying our Zune products but you can go suck it now cause we got tired of supporting it! - Signed Microsucks! :mad:

What the **** am I supposed to do now? I have an original Zune 30gb and it & the software have been great! Only thing I've had to do was replace the battery and I just did that earlier this year. I just got used to Live id and now that's gone! This is grade A, premium B***S***!

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    That 30gb Zune was made years ago. How long would you like them to support that hardware?
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbayrae View Post
    That 30gb Zune was made years ago. How long would you like them to support that hardware?
    It's not like this is software ya know! That I would understand but they were still making these things not that long ago. Now they just want to pull the plug and walk away? Very bad idea. :mad:

I WAS thinking of buying a 120gb HD but now they can suck it easy!

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    That 30gig came out in '06.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbayrae View Post
    That 30gig came out in '06.
    Really? It's been that long? Wow! Doesn't seem like it. Anyway these kind of shenanigans by a company do NOT instill trust in me. You know the kind of trust required for future purchases of MS products. I'm sorry they didn't sell billions the way they had hoped but you cannot just bail out on the millions that did buy one.

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    We have a Zune 80, ZHD32, and ZHD64, and regularly get support from MS's Support chat page. I've used Microsoft products satisfactorily for going on 30 years, and there's no one else out there in microcomputing that can say that, except maybe Intel.

Best Zuning and computing to all. :)
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Well I guess we shall see what they plan on doing. I still don't like it though.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larspassic View Post
    Has anyone heard of confirmed features for Xbox Music? Tiered music pass prices? Streaming music videos? Shared family libraries? Cloud Music locker?
    Has anyone heard anything about actual details concerning the service? I loved Zune had it for almost four years. I'm all for reforming the service and evolving it (wish they would keep the Zune name though) but what is happening with the new "Xbox Live Music" service? On the Zune.net website they have a link that basically has said more details coming soon for quite a few months now. Please continue the Pass subscription service, and what happens to "Legacy" machines with the Zune client software still installed? Does that just disappear and the new service only works for the Windows 8 ecosystem? (I doubt that). The lack of details is concerning me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about actual details concerning the service? I loved Zune had it for almost four years. I'm all for reforming the service and evolving it (wish they would keep the Zune name though) but what is happening with the new "Xbox Live Music" service? On the Zune.net website they have a link that basically has said more details coming soon for quite a few months now. Please continue the Pass subscription service, and what happens to "Legacy" machines with the Zune client software still installed? Does that just disappear and the new service only works for the Windows 8 ecosystem? (I doubt that). The lack of details is concerning me though.
    Hello fellow Chicagolander, as far as I'm concerned nothing changes but the name. There will also be greater international coverage and more songs and videos will be provided as well.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Hello fellow Chicagolander, as far as I'm concerned nothing changes but the name. There will also be greater international coverage and more songs and videos will be provided as well.
    Excellent, so does the Zune software still exist then or I guess that's where I really question how that will work out with the rebranding. (Always nice to see another local ;) )