Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Forgewizard
  • 1 Post By ejb222
  1. Forgewizard's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    516 Global Posts
       #1  
    I really hate ZUNE! This frakkin program stinks! It loads slow, then is blurry, requiring me to run a new command!!?? It freezes. Won't play the videos sometimes.

    A right click on a media (video) file offers "rename" as a selection. But in fact it is NOT, I repeat, NOT a rename of the file - but simply a new TITLE for the video only to be seen while displayed on ZUNE! After syncing to the PC the file on the PC retains the WP7 meta tag! WTF? WHose brilliant idea was that?

    The device prevents me from renaming a file when the photo or video was taken, ZUNE prevents me from actually renaming a file.

    So that means I have to sync, then rename on the PC which means each video file has to be opened individually in order to name it to something pertinent to MY filing system, because the sync transfers the file but the only image is the ZUNE icon - not a thumbnail of the video. Then after all this rigamaroll I get to sync BACK to the phone and then I have to delete the video with the WP7 metatag and then sync yet again to have the PC and phone reflect each other! :mad:

    Geezum crow! I think I miss my Palm Pre A LOT!
    A Palm Pre Refugee giving my HTC Arrive a pat on the back- cuz it's choking!
    ("Forgewizard" in PreCentral)
  2. MattLFC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    #2  
    You won't get a response on this forum, because they are all Zune fanbois, and you diss the Zune, you pay!!

    So here's a nice response, from a fellow realist, I agree, Zune is crap!! Microsoft are even worse for a. developing it, and b. allowing it to slip through the net and actually make it public!
  3. banghaymo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #3  
    I have been a long time Zune user, and one thing to remember is that Zune is not a power user tool.
    It works brilliant when all you need to do is download music with Zune Pass and sync across devices even creating a playlist is a breeze.. But as soon as you need advanced options which could help you with the issues you are having it's just not delivering.
    But I guess they had to sacrifice a power user interface ie. iTunes to deliver a fancy interface so that your songs look nicer.
  4. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,954 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,390 Global Posts
    #4  
    Idk, I consider myself a power user and love the Zune software. I typically just use Zune software to rip and sync though. Renaming of files, I use widows explorer. Adding album art to the id3 tag (for use on non Zune devices), I use media monkey.

    Personally, I feel it is 10 times better than iTunes, where I have to rip the cd, then after the fact search for album art... And heaven forbid a cd doesn't have the same artist for every song... iTunes likes to treat each song on a cd with a different artist as a different cd.
  5. banghaymo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Idk, I consider myself a power user and love the Zune software. I typically just use Zune software to rip and sync though. Renaming of files, I use widows explorer. Adding album art to the id3 tag (for use on non Zune devices), I use media monkey.

    Personally, I feel it is 10 times better than iTunes, where I have to rip the cd, then after the fact search for album art... And heaven forbid a cd doesn't have the same artist for every song... iTunes likes to treat each song on a cd with a different artist as a different cd.
    So true.. I find iTunes a harder to use. Zune is just so much more convenient to use. That is it's best selling feature..
    I had many issues with compilation cd's in iTunes.. It's a nightmare to fix.
    Had to buy Tuneup Media that can sort out my library. Glad I switched to Zune now.
  6. boss.king's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #6  
    I find Zune much less buggy than iTunes, and after it launches it is faster. I have a pretty big library so maybe that is what slowed iTunes down for me.
    Life couldn't get better, this could be the best day ever.
    HTC Titan
  7. jiffffy pop's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #7  
    iTunes is dull in design. Zune has a neat design and more user friendly than iTunes. Even though I have more than enough computer experience, Zune is more appealing to me.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  8. MattLFC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    #8  
    Personally, I found file explorer easier, less hassle and more efficient than either Zune or iTunes. But maybe I'm on a forum full of iOS converts or something, who feel in an alien world without some sort of fancy app to tell people about??

    I came from Windows Mobile, and to be honest, it's ability to transfer any file to the device using file explorer, makes transferring anything to Windows Phone look like the most pathetic pile of wank I've ever seen!!

    But then, Windows Mobile even had Bluetooth... and it freaking worked as it should!! As much as I love it, WP hasn't half taken some steps back in some respects! Zune is just, well infuriatingly crap!!
  9. greensea's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #9  
    i think the old folder way is dead. it's like comparing dos to windows. i have a zune pass and 50gb of music. wouldn't want manage it the folder way. once you sorted your non zune pass albums metadata and it appears on zune it's more pleasant to use. zune will sort by artist, genre, playlist album etc for you. link your artist to the market place for more albums, to videos, to related artist to related albums etc. if you happened to have a zune pass just go crazy and download for offline listening whatever you like and thrash it if you don't. set the sync option to manual then drag and drop whatever you like to phone or auto if your phone can handle all your contents.
    Last edited by greensea; 06-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
  10. boss.king's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    Personally, I found file explorer easier, less hassle and more efficient than either Zune or iTunes. But maybe I'm on a forum full of iOS converts or something, who feel in an alien world without some sort of fancy app to tell people about??

    I came from Windows Mobile, and to be honest, it's ability to transfer any file to the device using file explorer, makes transferring anything to Windows Phone look like the most pathetic pile of wank I've ever seen!!

    But then, Windows Mobile even had Bluetooth... and it freaking worked as it should!! As much as I love it, WP hasn't half taken some steps back in some respects! Zune is just, well infuriatingly crap!!
    I am an iOS convert, but that's not why I like Zune/iTunes. I simply have too much music to manage without a dedicated program. Obviously you don't like it, and you feel the need to tell us all about it over and over. Why did you pick Windoes Phone then? Clearly Android offers the sort of freedom you're after, so why not make a switch and continue living your life rather than trashing tools that exist to make peoples lives easier?
    Life couldn't get better, this could be the best day ever.
    HTC Titan
  11. greensea's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #11  
    don't think there is a way around zune but it's quite nice once you learn how to use it.

    itune sucks compare to zune btw :D and that one laptop or pc sync thingy is just incredible
  12. Forgewizard's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    516 Global Posts
       #12  
    I doubt I am the only one that is forced to use zune for more than music. WP is abysmal naming files and zune is no help so how does zune make media management easy? These basic omissions in functionality are exactly why I for one am venturing away from WP and over to Android!
    A Palm Pre Refugee giving my HTC Arrive a pat on the back- cuz it's choking!
    ("Forgewizard" in PreCentral)
    Thanked by:
    MattLFC likes this.
  13. ejb222's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    370 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    #13  
    I would agree with the OP. Zune and iTunes suck. Zune is to music like AOL is to the interenet....not needed. My folks used to think that AOL was the only way to the internet...Just as Im sure people think that iTunes and Zune or any other app are to music. Why can't I just through all my music in a Music folder and use a basic media player on my phone? I like Zune and iTunes stores. They are pricey but the concept is good. But I don't want to be tied to useless software to play and manage music, nor be hindered by the same software went wanting to pair devices like my car stereo etc. One day people will see that most functionality of Zune or iTunes is pointless just like AOL.
    -Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

    http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ejb222 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejb222/
    Thanked by:
    MattLFC likes this.
  14. MattLFC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
    I am an iOS convert, but that's not why I like Zune/iTunes. I simply have too much music to manage without a dedicated program. Obviously you don't like it, and you feel the need to tell us all about it over and over. Why did you pick Windoes Phone then? Clearly Android offers the sort of freedom you're after, so why not make a switch and continue living your life rather than trashing tools that exist to make peoples lives easier?
    Wow... are you suggesting that those who don't like Zune, should ditch WP and move to a competing platform? I think you've just confirmed the overall problem with it; people don't like it, there's no alternative, and Microsoft don't give a damn. Whilst it's forced upon users, it's just another reason for the masses to be wary of the platform, and another reason for the media to slate the platform.

    If all Zune haters simply ditched the platform, you could potentially find yourself with no WP devices in the future... for all we know, the amount of users who hate Zune could be 1%, on the other hand, it could be 90%... a 90% marketshare loss, would kill WP, overnight.

    I actually must admit that Zune make's an impact on how I use I phone for music... The old drag and drop method in WinMo was just so simple and less hassle, Zune just makes it so tedious, that I simply can't be bothered most of the time. If I want to transfer an album in a hurry, I give up and find the tracks on Youtube.

    Zune is an unnecessary barrier, whether or not the GUI-loving simpletons agree.
  15. greensea's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #15  
    i set zune to monitor the the folders that i want for music, pictures etc. the media will pop up in zune. auto sync for pictures, podcast. auto for musics and videos if my phone can handle all the contents otherwise drag and drop. sync is both ways. new contents from phone goes to computer and computer to phone. it will sort itself out everytime i connect the phone to the computer. i think it works well. if you have the zune pass you'll get the channels as well (the lastest and most popular of each genre).
    kies for android is trying to do the same thing but it's even worse than itune. you can still just drop a folder though.
  16. boss.king's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    Wow... are you suggesting that those who don't like Zune, should ditch WP and move to a competing platform? I think you've just confirmed the overall problem with it; people don't like it, there's no alternative, and Microsoft don't give a damn. Whilst it's forced upon users, it's just another reason for the masses to be wary of the platform, and another reason for the media to slate the platform.

    If all Zune haters simply ditched the platform, you could potentially find yourself with no WP devices in the future... for all we know, the amount of users who hate Zune could be 1%, on the other hand, it could be 90%... a 90% marketshare loss, would kill WP, overnight.

    I actually must admit that Zune make's an impact on how I use I phone for music... The old drag and drop method in WinMo was just so simple and less hassle, Zune just makes it so tedious, that I simply can't be bothered most of the time. If I want to transfer an album in a hurry, I give up and find the tracks on Youtube.

    Zune is an unnecessary barrier, whether or not the GUI-loving simpletons agree.
    No, I didn't say anyone who dislikes Zune should ditch WP, I said if it's such a massive barrier to you then you should ditch it because there is a more suited alternative to what you want. There's no need to insult people who have different tastes to you either, I'm far from a simpleton, I simply have better things to do with my time than manage media.

    It's unfortunate that Zune puts you off, but to be honest you should really have done your research before buying a phone. Only a "simpleton" would buy something they don't like using and then sit there endlessly whining about it. And while we're on the subject of simpletons, you know dragging and dropping involves a GUI too right?

    It sound like you're simply stuck in the past, and it's time to adapt. If everyone was as inconvenienced by Zune and similar software as you then how would it still exist now. Common sense dictates that people would have voted for something else with their money. You aren't some sophisticated genius, you're more behind than the rest of us.

    Best of luck with your future syncing.
    Last edited by boss.king; 06-11-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    Life couldn't get better, this could be the best day ever.
    HTC Titan
  17. Quantify's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #17  
    As someone who has migrated from Android...I really don't understand the venom for Zune. Zune makes music shopping much easier than Android, and podcast management as well. I don't miss Google Listen for sure. And google music?

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  18. MattLFC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
    No, I didn't say anyone who dislikes Zune should ditch WP, I said if it's such a massive barrier to you then you should ditch it because there is a more suited alternative to what you want.
    Then you are saying there is a more suited alternative to Zune for users who dislike it then, you simpleton.

    There's no need to insult people who have different tastes to you either, I'm far from a simpleton, I simply have better things to do with my time than manage media.
    To call a fat person, is not an insult. To call someone from the continent of America, an American, is not an insult. To call a simpleton a simpleton, is not an insult. I don't know what exactly you mean by "manage"; what the **** do you do with your "media", caress it or something?

    It's unfortunate that Zune puts you off, but to be honest you should really have done your research before buying a phone.
    Are you suggesting there is not a single thing you would change about Windows Phone? If you are that blind to reality, this is more proof of the simpleton you are.

    Only a "simpleton" would buy something they don't like using and then sit there endlessly whining about it.
    Ah right, so Windows Phone 7 does everything you want, and there isn't a thing you dislike about it. What a simpleton you really are...

    And while we're on the subject of simpletons, you know dragging and dropping involves a GUI too right?
    Of course. Did you also know that the fancy graphics of Zune does nothing to increase usability? If anything, it detracts from usability. There is a saying, "you can't polish a turd". This is even more evident with Zune; only a simpleton would think Zune is perfect.

    It sound like you're simply stuck in the past, and it's time to adapt.
    Heir Hitler!!

    If everyone was as inconvenienced by Zune and similar software as you then how would it still exist now.
    The same reason as Microsoft kept plugging Windows Mobile a consumer OS for 5 years past it's sell by date. For the simpletons out there who are blissfully unaware, Zune is being scrapped.

    Common sense dictates that people would have voted for something else with their money.
    I bought a Windows Phone, which overall, I'm quite happy with. There is some issue's with the software on the phone itself, but Windows Phone for me, is better than competitor OS's. That doesn't mean I'm not going to criticise the flaws that exist within the platform; in much the same way, I'm more than willing to recognise the superiorities of competing platforms, including iOS, Droid and BB. I'm not a fanboi, who wears rose-tinted glasses, this is a discussion forum, if simpletons can't deal with the fact that not everyone on here is an ardent fanboi, then they should maybe avoid coming here??

    You aren't some sophisticated genius, you're more behind than the rest of us.
    I'm not entirely sure, what you're trying to say here, and what relevance it has to the discussion?

    Best of luck with your future syncing.
    Best of luck with your defence of the WP platform; you will need it, because whether you like it or not, WP is not perfect in every way, the same as any of her competitors. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is a simpleton. Oh wait now, I think you held your hand up to that one already.
  19. boss.king's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    Then you are saying there is a more suited alternative to Zune for users who dislike it then, you simpleton.
    There is a more suited platform for your needs (hint: it's Android).

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    To call a fat person, is not an insult. To call someone from the continent of America, an American, is not an insult. To call a simpleton a simpleton, is not an insult. I don't know what exactly you mean by "manage"; what the **** do you do with your "media", caress it or something?
    Actually, calling someone a simpleton is an insult, but I have no wish to be warned by the mods so I'll ignore your rudeness. By "manage my media" i mean I transfer music and video on and off my phone. Zune makes it muck easier to keep track of albums, tracks, video clips, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    Are you suggesting there is not a single thing you would change about Windows Phone? If you are that blind to reality, this is more proof of the simpleton you are.
    I'm not suggesting that in the slightest. You really are reading into things that aren't there. WP has a number of flaws, but none that I can't live with on a day to day basis. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have bought the phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    Ah right, so Windows Phone 7 does everything you want, and there isn't a thing you dislike about it. What a simpleton you really are...
    That's really the same point as before, just with more rudeness thrown it. Like I said, there are things I would change, but I can live with the phone as it is. I also did my research first to make sure of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    Of course. Did you also know that the fancy graphics of Zune does nothing to increase usability? If anything, it detracts from usability. There is a saying, "you can't polish a turd". This is even more evident with Zune; only a simpleton would think Zune is perfect.
    That's a value judgement. It adds to the usability for me. It makes thing much easier, thus saving me time, If you can't understand why you are wrong about this then the discussion may as well end here because you are beyond help.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    Heir Hitler!!
    I believe it's "Heil".

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    The same reason as Microsoft kept plugging Windows Mobile a consumer OS for 5 years past it's sell by date. For the simpletons out there who are blissfully unaware, Zune is being scrapped.
    The branding is being scrapped, the media player functionality is still found in Music. MSFT has yet to announce the syncing options. Really, research...

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    I bought a Windows Phone, which overall, I'm quite happy with. There is some issue's with the software on the phone itself, but Windows Phone for me, is better than competitor OS's. That doesn't mean I'm not going to criticise the flaws that exist within the platform; in much the same way, I'm more than willing to recognise the superiorities of competing platforms, including iOS, Droid and BB. I'm not a fanboi, who wears rose-tinted glasses, this is a discussion forum, if simpletons can't deal with the fact that not everyone on here is an ardent fanboi, then they should maybe avoid coming here??
    I'm no fanboi (it's actually fanboy, but whatever), I am open to all platforms equally as long as they do what I want/need. And seriously, the rudeness is making you seem like an angsty teen. It's easy to insult someone, but maybe try using basic manners instead, they'll get you further in life. Just a suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, what you're trying to say here, and what relevance it has to the discussion?
    I was pointing out that you are acting like an elitist snob simply because your preferred syncing option was not available, when in fact it was left behing for a good reason: it was messy.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattLFC View Post
    Best of luck with your defence of the WP platform; you will need it, because whether you like it or not, WP is not perfect in every way, the same as any of her competitors. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is a simpleton. Oh wait now, I think you held your hand up to that one already.
    Like I said earlier, I'm open to all platforms. I openly acknowledge WP is not perfect, and I don't even really see how you jumped to that conclusion in the first place. Oh, and one last appeal, the rudeness... stop it. Act like an adult.
    Life couldn't get better, this could be the best day ever.
    HTC Titan

Posting Permissions