Two phones, One Zune pass?

elee@ulgm.org

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I have two Windows Phones on my AT&T account. Can I use the same Zune pass for both of these phones or does each require their own Zune pass? Thanks.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You can share a Zune pass with up to three devices. However, you will have to use the same live id on all three. You can have multiple live accounts on a single device. I use a generic live account for Zune pass and then each phone has a user specific account for email, contacts, etc. One big caveat is they would have to share Xbox live data and you cannot link twitter or LinkedIn accounts.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
All I did was link my wife's phone to my Zune account while signed in. We only use the one computer to sync the phones anyway. My account shows two Zune devices. Her's and my phone. We do not share live id's. It is possible to share the account. You just lose one of your available devices. At least it has worked for us.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
That is great if it works. But, that method will not allow you to share your purchased apps. I realize that wasn't what the OP asked but it is an additional benefit of using a shared live id on both phones.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
True, you can't share apps unless you link the phones with the exact same live ID. I don't think apps have anything to do with Zune pass. It's all about the music. Besides I thought the apps marketplace was removed from Zune.

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I did notice that she cannot download directly from her phone. I do have to load the music via the computer and no streaming :( But she can listen to new music before buying and stuff like that.

greensea

May 29, 2012
Visit site
i think people usually create a seperate zunepass account. link it with 3 phones. create 3 accounts on the computer. everyone will be able to download, stream and manage their contents separately (from phone or pc). though not at the same time.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
... Besides I thought the apps marketplace was removed from Zune.

To clarify: I can still get the marketplace (through the "Zune" or music+video tile, or directly through the marketplace tile) on my Focus, and then download both apps and music. It may be that I can't purchase apps on the phone, but I never have anyway so I can't report on any change in this regard. (I don't purchase anything through my phone.)

BTW, for music I've downloaded through my Zune Pass, tracks that have been purchased (through one of the computers on the account) , read "In Collection"; for those that have not been purchased, they read "In collection, buy", so it appears I could still buy. But again, I haven't bought or tried to buy.

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
can anyone shed some light here?

I have been confused myself. Here is my situation.
Me and my GF both have windows phones and we use our OWN windows live accounts. My GF owns a Zune pass.

We have ONE Zune installation on desktop which holds the entire library. The zune desktop is always logged into my GF's windows live account. I have download hundreds of songs on desktop as "Download", not "Buy".

The interesting fact is, all DRM downloaded music can be synced to either phone and work perfectly, even though the 2 phones use different accounts.
Is this normal? Can I add a third phone?

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I see, I will take a look.
Any comments on why I can use DRM protected content on my phone using a non-Zune pass account?

Yes, when you sync with Zune, the Zune DRM key & activation process are handled by the Zune desktop software - i.e., your phone registers itself with the software, it handles the keys & entitlement process, at which point your Zune part of the phone is registered to a specific Live ID. The Live ID used to log into the phone is, at this point, irrelevant to the Zune app. Think of it as two different ways of activation, or maybe an override - by default, it'll try to use the Live ID you have on your phone (say, for instance, you get your phone, set it up with a Live ID & never plug into a PC) - but if the Zune desktop software overrides that, you can use a different Live ID for Zune Pass.

We tried this route with our phones (my wife & I), but it became too much of a pain. The $145/year each (we're on the old plan) is well worth it with how much we both listen to music.

Lastly - there have been rumors of new plans once the transition to Xbox Music comes about - a 'family plan' similar to Live Gold family is one of the top requests.

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
thanks,
My GF is on the new Zune Pass plan ($9.99/month). I frankly did not expect to be able to use my phone to sync and play back her DRM-protected songs from zune desktop. It has been a pleasant surprise. I will be adding a third phone (my moms) to the bunch. Three phones using unlimited music for $10 a month is amazing. (no streaming of course, only zune sync).
I hope they don't take it away in Xbox Music update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)