Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mystictrust
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if you can still sync your Zune player on Windows 8? Is it the same as Zune on Windows 7 but with a new name (Xbox Music)? I have an 8GB Zune that I still use everyday for music and podcasts that im not ready to give up.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Destroyer View Post
    Does anyone know if you can still sync your Zune player on Windows 8? Is it the same as Zune on Windows 7 but with a new name (Xbox Music)? I have an 8GB Zune that I still use everyday for music and podcasts that im not ready to give up.
    Yes you can sync Zune with WP7 and get your music too.

    Your pass will ALSO work on the inbuilt Xbox music player which I prefer 100% more than Zune player. It is more beautiful than Zune.

    I now only use Zune to sync my WP7. Everything else including Smartglass happens via my Xbox Music.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Yes you can sync Zune with WP7 and get your music too.

    Your pass will ALSO work on the inbuilt Xbox music player which I prefer 100% more than Zune player. It is more beautiful than Zune.

    I now only use Zune to sync my WP7. Everything else including Smartglass happens via my Xbox Music.
    Thank you for your reply.

    I'm not referring to the pass or Zune on my WP7, but my Zune MP3 Player. I sync mine a couple times every day to update the podcasts I listen to (I don't like to use my Lumia 800 for music or podcasts) and want to know if it will still work when I upgrade to Windows 8. Will I use Xbox Music? Zune? Another music app?

    I had the Windows 8 preview on another system but the music app wouldn't work for me at all, so I couldn't test it there.
  4. #4  
    Ah! Sorry din't understand about the actual Zune hardware. Does it sync over Zune desktop client? If yes, then I have my Zune desktop client installed on Windows 8 and it sync fine with my Lumia 800 and HTC Titan (7.8 ROM). I've never owned a Zune player so am not sure if it is exactly the same sync procedure as Windows Phone 7.x
  5. prjkthack's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    235 Posts
    PIN
    No
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Destroyer View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

    I'm not referring to the pass or Zune on my WP7, but my Zune MP3 Player. I sync mine a couple times every day to update the podcasts I listen to (I don't like to use my Lumia 800 for music or podcasts) and want to know if it will still work when I upgrade to Windows 8. Will I use Xbox Music? Zune? Another music app?

    I had the Windows 8 preview on another system but the music app wouldn't work for me at all, so I couldn't test it there.
    The process is exactly the same as you are doing now. Install the Zune software, plug in your phone or Zune device, and sync. Nothing changes. Xbox Music is only used to stream and play music on your computer, and also to download Xbox Music Pass content (which is not compatible with the Zune software).
    prjkthack
    Nokia Lumia 830, Nokia Lumia 1020, iPhone 6
    Surface Pro 128GB
  6. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by prjkthack View Post
    The process is exactly the same as you are doing now. Install the Zune software, plug in your phone or Zune device, and sync. Nothing changes. Xbox Music is only used to stream and play music on your computer, and also to download Xbox Music Pass content (which is not compatible with the Zune software).
    So I guess I'm confused. You are using two apps for your music then? Isn't that like two duplicate libraries or does Zune sense the music in the Xbox Music program. Wouldn't you have to for example download the same album twice in each program in order to enjoy it in Xbox Music and then go to Zune and download it again through the same pass and then sync it to your Zune?
  7. Mystictrust's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    982 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    So I guess I'm confused. You are using two apps for your music then? Isn't that like two duplicate libraries or does Zune sense the music in the Xbox Music program. Wouldn't you have to for example download the same album twice in each program in order to enjoy it in Xbox Music and then go to Zune and download it again through the same pass and then sync it to your Zune?
    I just download all my music through Zune. Xbox Music sees it and I can play it through there, too. I try not to download anything I find using Xbox Music because it's invisible in my Zune collection if I do it that way. (i.e.: Zune sees Zune only. Xbox Music sees both Zune and Xbox Music. If you're going to use the Zune software, do all your downloads using that player - that way, your collection can be seen by BOTH)

    I have a Zune HD and it still syncs fine using Zune software and Windows 8 Pro. Just download the same old Zune software (which you can still do at zune.net, btw) and you'll be fine. I have not tried using Xbox Music to sync with my Zune, but I highly doubt it would work anyway: The Zune software was built with Zune in mind, Windows 8 and Xbox Music were designed WITHOUT the Zune in mind.

    I'll never get rid of my Zune software. I've got multiple copies of the install program just in case.
  8. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    I just download all my music through Zune. Xbox Music sees it and I can play it through there, too. I try not to download anything I find using Xbox Music because it's invisible in my Zune collection if I do it that way. (i.e.: Zune sees Zune only. Xbox Music sees both Zune and Xbox Music. If you're going to use the Zune software, do all your downloads using that player - that way, your collection can be seen by BOTH)

    I have a Zune HD and it still syncs fine using Zune software and Windows 8 Pro. Just download the same old Zune software (which you can still do at zune.net, btw) and you'll be fine. I have not tried using Xbox Music to sync with my Zune, but I highly doubt it would work anyway: The Zune software was built with Zune in mind, Windows 8 and Xbox Music were designed WITHOUT the Zune in mind.

    I'll never get rid of my Zune software. I've got multiple copies of the install program just in case.
    Excellent thanks so much for the reply, and that's a good idea I should save the installation file now...
  9.    #9  
    Thanks everyone for your replies! For what i want, its Zune on Windows 8 Pro!
  10. pmich's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #10  
    Thank you very much. I'm in the exact same boat where i still use my Zune HD daily (it's my mp3 player for the gym) and i also use a wp8 as my daily phone. I've stickied this post to remind me when i upgrade to Windows 8.
  11. flyinion's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    90 Posts
    #11  
    Wow glad I found this subforum, I was just about to ask if it was possible to sync an actual Zune device on Windows 8. Going to be upgrading soon and that was my one concern. By the end of the year I plan to get a WP8 phone and will probably mostly if not totally replace my physical player with it, but being able to use the Zune software is important as for now they are continuing the 10 song credits even with the upcoming discontinuation of "points" it seems.
  12. Gungzwei's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    #12  
    One thing to keep in mind is that you loose the ability to sync wirelessly between the Zune software and a Zune device (HD/WP7) on Windows 8. It's a known issue that MS may, but probably won't, fix.
  13. flyinion's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    90 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungzwei View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that you loose the ability to sync wirelessly between the Zune software and a Zune device (HD/WP7) on Windows 8. It's a known issue that MS may, but probably won't, fix.
    My Zune device is an old 8GB blue flash zune anyway so no wireless syncing for me (that I'm aware of).
  14. rtotheich's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    #14  
    I have a surface pro and have been keeping it nice and clean: no battery sucking apps, not a whole lot of background processes, etc. I was hoping that there was a way to sync my good ol' Zune HD without installing the annoying zune software, importing the whole library, then keeping it in check with the xbox music library, etc. I know it sounds like nothing, but every time I switched between windows media player and the zune software, it screwed up my album art and did weird things like splitting up my albums for me. I really want to avoid using the Zune software at all costs, and since the Zune is no longer being sold, I really don't see why M$ can't just release another firmware update/driver that would enable drag & drop. Anyone know if there is a way to sync the HD without installing that nightmare?
  15. cj-m's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    #15  
    Xbox.com Forums

    has a good answer.

Posting Permissions