I bought an Acer W4 and really like it

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
After MS nuked the Surface mini I was done waiting for them for an 8 inch win 8 tablet. I have a Surface Pro but wanted a smaller tablet with better battery life for web surfing and to use as a portable music player.

So far so good

Battery life is awesome 7-9 hrs

Web surfing is good the screen looks really well and the 1200X800 resolution is not noticeable compared to my Surface pro.

Normal use is not slow about as quick as my Surface Pro.

As a portable music player this little tablet sound really good. I use the Metro app MediaMonkey to play lossless audio from my DLNA server and it handles that job great. The actual audio from the headphone jack sound really good. It has a very detailed but more analog like sound that is quite relaxing.

The Surface pro had a more in your face mechanical sound using headphone whihc was ok but I prefer the sound from the Acer W4 because it is very relaxing sounding but still retain alot of detail.

My only issue is audio related and for some reason the drivers have locked down the default audio propertied of windows to 16Bit 48K where most modern windows machines allow you to adjust the default audio to 24Bit 192K. I have ALOT of native 24bit 96K audio that I stream using DLNA and even though this devices plays it well it will be down converting it to 16bit 48K whihc is a slight disappointment.

The audio card support 24BIT 192K so it is odd the drivers have gimped the hardware. I have a ticket open with Acer but they are blaming Realtek and I'm sure Realtek will blame intel since intel wrote the drivers.

Other than that i really love this little tablet and glad I got it. I got the 64GB version for $260 on Amazon which was a really good deal.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I picked up one of these just over a month ago and it's a great device, well built (compared to the Asus 8" I had) and a nice screen. The lack of stylus doesn't bother me but I'd love to see these devices with built in kickstands.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought one for my mom some months back and despite me not being a fan of 8" at all, despite it's small size (not a con in general, just not my thing) it's quite a pleasure to use, at least when compared to my first gen Surface RT. It's just so powerful in comparison! :D

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have this too and its great. I gave my iPad mini to my wife but she lost it. I'm never going to buy Apple iPad again. I'm waiting for Encore mini as a gift to my two children - I don't want them using Apple products.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having an issue with their W4 where it sometimes will not boot up??? Sometimes, after I put mine to sleep, it will not boot up after I press the Windows button or power button. I have to hold the power button down for a good 15 seconds, release it, then press it again veggie it bites back up. Anyway... Just curious.

Veeer

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I know its old thread but it has happened to mine once in a while, I press power button but the tablet either does not react or reacts with about one second delay.
Nothing major tho, still evaluating it and so far loving it, cant beat it for the price, less than 140 euros paid for brand new.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Just picked up one of these for USD $80. Terrific little device. Love the 8" size, it makes it very simple to use with one or two hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers