W10 Technical Preview on Acer's tablet

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody done this? I wanna try it on my Acer tablet and I know its possible I just don't know how to approach it like precautions I should take. Considering this is a tablet with only a Micro USB slot available.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If you are not sure than I would advice you not to do it and just wait on the customer release of windows 10.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Alright, just wanna have a bit of fun with my Windows Tablet lying around. Just wanna know has anyone done it though? I meant on tablets. Like the DVP or W4s..

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Alright, just wanna have a bit of fun with my Windows Tablet lying around. Just wanna know has anyone done it though? I meant on tablets. Like the DVP or W4s..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the current Technical Preview is optimised for non-touch desktops and laptops, and that touch features will come in later builds. May be something to consider before you do anything.

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the current Technical Preview is optimised for non-touch desktops and laptops, and that touch features will come in later builds. May be something to consider before you do anything.
Bang on, it works but no touch stuff. I think the preview coming out next week will have it so wait till then .
I installed Windows 10 on my DVP8. Uninstallled after a few hours.

Cree Ray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought a W4 last week and played around with it for a few days before deciding to plunge into installing Windows 10...So I did the following...
1. I created a recovery usb flash with the given tools.
2. Went to Windows update and tried to Install, but got an error saying it's not compatible because the OS is installed on a compressed drive. I still can't figure out why Acer has done this way, considering I have a 64GB device, not 32 or 16
3. Then downloaded the TP iso but that also gave the same message.
4. Then found out that if you use the "setup.exe" under the "Sources" folder, it will skip the check and install...
5. That worked. And the installation took about 45-60 mins.
6. And pretty much useless because touch screen wasn't working...And I don't have a spare keyboard, just have a USB mouse...
7. So connected the mouse over OTG and reset the device using a pin.
8. Then when it booted back, used the accessibility keyboard to complete the setup.
9. I had the Windows 8.1 driver setup from Acer on a MicroSD. Used that to install the drivers...
10. After a reboot, touch screen working fine...but very very clumsy and buggy...
11. The build overall is not smoothened out for touch only tablets...
12. Login PIN can be setup, but no option to enter pin at the login screen...
13. Entering a complex password is super difficult with keyboard not behaving correctly...and PIN doesn't work.
14. For local accounts option to enter a PIN is shown, but doesn't work.
15. Haven't tested with Image passwords.
16. I absolutely HATE the new Start Menu...8.1 was gorgeous to look at on a Tablet esp Metro mode...
17. Native Windows still don't respond very well to touch...
18. So, after some time decided to go back to 8.1
19. Surprise, Surprise, my recovery microsd is Dead...
20. Downloaded a Windows 8.1 ISO Single Language and try to install that, the Acer Windows Product Key doesn't work..Great !
21. There is absolutely NO WAY to use the 6GB recovery partition which still exists because you can't remove it..to restore 8.1
22. Went over to the Acer Service Center and the nice folks there have agreed to restore on Monday.
23. Meanwhile, since I have 10 on my W4, exploring it.
24. Bottom line : Windows 10 TP is not yet ready for daily use, you can still squeeze usage out of it, but it will be a determined effort.
I will stick to 8.1 Update 1 until probably GA.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody done this? I wanna try it on my Acer tablet and I know its possible I just don't know how to approach it like precautions I should take. Considering this is a tablet with only a Micro USB slot available.
I have just bought thw HP Stream 7, which has a micro usb and i am waiting to receive it. After I receive it, I will install Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos