If given the choice, would you still have bought this tablet?

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I see this tablet in the MS store for $399. Is it a good buy or just inexpensive? For those that have had this tablet since Dec, would you get it again? Any persistent issues that you have that make you regret getting this tablet? I want a Win8 tablet with a HDMI port. I am hearing the rumors about $200 price drops and quad core Atoms, but you can always wait and still be behind. Thx.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It would help if you listed what tablet your are writing about.
It is the Acer w510 windows 8 PC. He posted it in the forum for that tablet.

Sorry I don't know much about this tablet. But $400 seems like a decent price. But I can say I am impressed with the clover trail atom processors that is in it. I have the Samsung 500t tablet. Battery life is awesome. And the processor does what I need. So I assume it would be close to what I have experienced. But I am also super excited from what I have heard about the bay trail atom processors. I might sell or trade to get one with that later.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the assist! Assumed by posting in the correct forum I wouldn't need to list the tablet. Thought I wanted the surface, but the price point for the Pro is out of my range. Was thinking of the Acer, but have also looked at the Asus VivoTab and the Lenovo IdeaPad Lynx. I want one with a full size USB port and a HDMI port, even if it is a mini. I do presentations and was planning to use a tablet so that I don't have to bring my laptop everytime. Also trying to keep the purchase to $500, before a keyboard/cover and MS office. Like how snappy the Atom responds with the few demo models I have tried.

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had my W510 for almost two months now and am still happy with it!

Before this I had an old Samsung series 7 slate but since I got the W510 the slate hasn't been undocked from my desk!

It's small, light, (cheap!) has great battery life and while it's not as snappy as a Core i5 even Photoshop loads up in under 10 seconds.

I miss the stylus for handwritten notes but I've found the keyboard dock to be more useful and it makes the whole device more versatile to the point I use it most of the time now.

There are some issues with WiFi connectivity not being as strong as other devices I have, and the trackpad on the keyboard can sometimes be a bit flaky but apparently there are fixes out there for those that I haven't got around to installing yet.

I have Office 2013 and Adobe CS6 (just Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and InDesign) installed and Office works perfectly as it was optimised to run even on RT tablets but I was surprised at how competently it manages CS6. Obviously the larger the file the slower it gets and you wouldn't be using it as your main machine but when I'm on the go I'm easily able to code websites and put together designs, edit photos etc. Using the desktop does tax the battery life more though. I usually need to give it a full charge maybe every 5 days.

I think it's a great tablet (and will be much better once Blue is out, obviously) but I wouldn't buy it without the keyboard dock.

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Feels sturdy to me! The Surface is built like a tank so it won't stand up to that but mine is solid. There's a slight creak occasionally (on the keyboard dock at the back left side but that's only when you hold it from that part which is almost never) but it's not a problem, the tablet is very well built. It's one of the nicest Acer products I've tried.

It depends what you're used to, if you've only ever used top end Windows machines or MacBook Pros then it probably won't feel as premium but otherwise I think it's really nice!

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Absotively, Posilutely, Yes.

The construction is sturdy, the tablet does not flex or creak unless you intentionally want to rip it in half with your bare hands! If you're concerned with the hdmi port and micro-usb port, the hdmi is functional and there is a micro-usb to usb adapter included in the box when you buy it. I also have cs6 and office 365 same as prettyconfused. I installed both on an SD card. There is a review on this tablet by Mr. Ponder a couple of days ago you might want to check it out. I disagree with Mr Ponder about the speakers though. I think Acer gave a lot of thought to the positioning of the speakers because when you hold it in a regular position you hands cup the speakers resulting in the sound bouncing to you. Pretty decent trick. and they are LOUD as hell, you would not need to bring speakers with you when you are using this in a presentation.

I would not get the surface or surface pro as I think both are for show more than for regular use. Saying that, the w510 does not evoke luxury, the front looks really nice but the back looks and feels like its been sprayed on by a silver paint spraycan hahaha. 2 weeks of handling and the back of my w510 has a lot of scratches. If you are concerned with how your device reflects upon you while giving your presentation, I would suggestion going for a surface or ativ. If you're more concerned with getting as much functionality as you can get for the lowest price and you're not too concerned with how good it will make you look while sipping a latte @ starbucks, get the w510. If you want to see a cool way to use this device click on my avatar, it's a picture of the w510 being used with a dj mixer.

You can use in your car
you can use it in a bar
You can use it for your hair
You can use it anywhere!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)