Hi all,

I have been offered the W511 which is the same as the W510 but with 3G & I was wondering if it was able to play Flash based videos from sports streaming sites & from things like Sky Go, Fox Go, Al Jazeera etc etc. Also does it play Flash based games like Candy Crush or is it a struggle for it ?

Many Thanks
    07-06-2013 05:09 PM
    Well the Acer's W Series runs full Windows 8, so yeah. It's a small touch screen desktop computer.
    07-06-2013 05:39 PM
    Note that Metro IE does have Flash included but some stuff is white listed
    Microsoftjunkie likes this.
    07-06-2013 06:08 PM
    Note that Metro IE does have Flash included but some stuff is white listed
    iIthought MS updated flash for metro is to run full flash with NO blacklist?
    07-06-2013 06:57 PM
    It seems as tho Microsoft have created a list of sites that are blacklisted but I cannot seem to find which ones those are as yet.

Microsoft adding Flash to Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8 and Windows RT
    March 12, 2013 - News - Tagged: Microsoft, Surface RT, Windows 8, Windows RT by Ian Dixon - - no comments

Adobe Flash Player on Microsoft Surface RT

Microsoft have announced that there is an update for Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8 and Windows RT that will enable Flash content to run by default. This means that where Flash in the metro version of IE would only work with Microsoft approved sites it will now work with any web site. Microsoft are going to keep a blacklist of sites that it will block but other sites should work ok.

Microsoft say that there have seen via their testing that more Flash enabled sites are compatible with Windows touch and they have took the decision to enable Flash to make more sites compatible with Windows 8. Microsoft have worked with Adobe to have a version of Flash that is optimized for touch, performance, security and battery life and that Adobe have made “substantial changes to the Flash player”.

These changes mean that in Windows RT Flash sites will work in the desktop version of IE and the metro version (which Microsoft call Immersive IE) with only sites on the block list not working. In Windows 8 all sites will work in the desktop version of IE and the Immersive IE will work this all sites except ones on the block list.

This should mean that a lot more sites will work with Windows 8 and Windows RT. It’s more significant for Windows RT as you can’t install Flash player at all so it should enable a lot more sites. The down side is that many are hoping for Flash to die and with Windows 8/RT reducing its usage and as iOS and Android not supporting it developers would move to HTML5.

It does now mean that Windows RT tablets will be able to access sites that Android and iOS can’t. Is this a sign that developers are not creating Windows Store apps as fast as Microsoft hoped and it’s been hitting sales? I would like to see Microsoft enable Silverlight as well, there are a few streaming sites like Lovefilm that will not work on Windows RT.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who has the tablet, so I am unable to see how well sites like for instance First Row & VIP work on it. I mainly use these sites for sports that are not televised within the UK, I know they work fine on normal computers but am not sure how stable they are on the Atom processor :(.
    07-06-2013 07:14 PM
    iIthought MS updated flash for metro is to run full flash with NO blacklist?
    not sure but I think they got rid of it in windows 8.1
    Microsoftjunkie likes this.
    07-06-2013 09:03 PM