Acer Liquid Jade Primo

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So the Acer Jade Primo just got announced - kinda - as its still in concept phase and not fully ready for shipping (2016 being punted). The specs look decent but I dont know if in 2016 they will be that relevant?
5.5" S-Amoled display 1080p
Super-focused on business it seems with all the accessories
Snap dragon 808

Personal Opinion:
It doesnt look that great and the Lumia 950 still stands out as something different to me, even thought it may not be the most inspired Lumia Design. We also have a lot more going in the 950 at this stage in terms of spec(2k display, 20mp shooter with what looks like a big lens etc.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
We'll just have to wait and see. I'll say we're in for a lot of interesting hardware coming out, especially after the first of the year when Microsoft is supposedly going to be announcing their first Intel/x86 based phones.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
If this has a removable back cover and an SD card slot, it might sway my choice from the 950. I will wait for more information.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Got my attention, although timelines and pricing TBD. Maybe some of the other android makers jump in, good to have competition - all Lumia and the ecosystem will die...

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I don't care about the details honestly, I'll take whatever OEM's throw at Windows 10 Mobile and a low high-end/high mid-range device that's Continuum compatible is way more than I expected out of IFA especially out of Acer.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a pleasant surprise. I hope other OEM's follow this direction.
I'm confident that Acer isn't the only manufacturer out there that will put out a phone with continuum.
Looks decent and the pairing of 1080p screen with SD 808 sounds like a good match.

My only concern is on how fast Acer will release updates to their phones.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
September 4 is around the corner and although we had have some leaks we do not have any idea what MS will release and how it may or not surprises us tomorrow. Who knows, I am not the biggest fan of the 950 & 950xl but I am loving in the way the OS is involving. I am looking forward the Hololens, Surface 4 (hopefully), Surface-Phone (finger crossed), and other news about the OS...

ramielram

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Well I prefer it over 950 and xl they loook weird and cheap for me.. but that phone.. is in the right place . Hope it can be available in my country

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
We'll just have to wait and see. I'll say we're in for a lot of interesting hardware coming out, especially after the first of the year when Microsoft is supposedly going to be announcing their first Intel/x86 based phones.

It's been so long since a device we could even consider planting a flagship on that I will get the 950XL as soon as its available, to replace my 1520. But its a little disheartening that after waiting so long for a flagship, when we finally get the 950's, the "real" flagship will remain like just over the horizon, Tantalus-like, forever out of reach, receding into a future of next quarters. W10M will eventually be RTM'ed and generally released, with the qualifier that to really see what its capable of, you need to get hardware designed around W10M rather than on existing 8.1 devices which are upgraded to. But even then, we really, really need to wait for the first Intel-based, W10M phones. . . . But doesn't the conventional wisdom also suggest that first-generation is never the best, so what we really, really, really need to wait for is the second round of Intel phones. The heck with it, just give me the 950XL already. We can call it a Business-Premium-Phone-Also-Serving-as-Acting-Flagship-Pending-Launch-of-Surface-Phone (featuring Intel on-board). So long as it incorporates Windows Hello, Continuum and Hey Cortana, I don't care what we call the 950's. Just get them to market!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Having choice is good. Looked a nice demo but until hardware is available for review hard to say how good it looks. I like 808 selection though.

jeevanmn

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Acer jade primo hands on review by gsmarena

http:
// m.gsmarena.com/acer_predator_primo_ifa_2015_hands_on_review-review-1300.php

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Last year's hardware still makes for competitive hardware. I'd imagine we've hit a limit to what our software can do, so for now hardware will be vastly overpowered for 90% of our tasks. All I ask is battery life, and managed heat output. Won't pretend I'm a huge fan of either render right now. I'll leave judgement till I see it for myself.

A quick correction for the OP. The 950 is rumored to have a 2K display, not 4k. QuadHD is in relation to 720p being "HD," so QHD is going to be 4x720p or something along those lines. While 4k is 4 times FHD or 1080p. In this case 4k would be UHD. QHD is 2k. Lovely how that all makes sense... or does it? I should probably sleep, then double check what I said. Or was it WQHD? bah

Lumia 950 is going to have 1440x2560 resolution. bam, no stupid 2k's or [insert letter] HD...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
A quick correction for the OP. The 950 is rumored to have a 2K display, not 4k. QuadHD is in relation to 720p being "HD," so QHD is going to be 4x720p or something along those lines. While 4k is 4 times FHD or 1080p. In this case 4k would be UHD. QHD is 2k. Lovely how that all makes sense... or does it? I should probably sleep, then double check what I said. Or was it WQHD? bah

Lumia 950 is going to have 1440x2560 resolution. bam, no stupid 2k's or [insert letter] HD...
I actually sat up one night thinking (or over thinking) about this myself, and was confused as well. Especially when looking at Qualcomm's site and what the 808 and 810 were actually cabable of, versus the announced display resolutions of the 950/950XL.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/comparison

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like it... Here's why. Say what you want about Acer, but they have name recognition. OEM's that are coming into Win 10 Mo are taking a chance, actually, let's be realistic. I think Acer deserves a look when this comes out.

attachment.php

21MP is good. S-AMOLED I'd take (big IPS fan, K?). Snapdragon 808 is fine. Don't start with the SD 820 or 860 or whatever.. It's a decent SoC for Mobile.

If it has at least 16GB internal and an SD card slot it will do alright. Yeah, baby, bundle that Continuum docking with the unit. That's the way. None of this sold separately stuff.

There is nothing wrong with trying to make a decent product with decent value. Decent people like that.

Not every device needs to shoot for the moon.

We need more OEMs committing. I'm happy for the announcement.

Attachments

• Capture02.png
    Capture02.png
    545.1 KB · Views: 101

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The rush to 4k is premature, IMHO. How many have a 4k screen in their home? I don't. Why do I need a 4k display on my phone?

I can shoot 4k video with my 1520, but I don't. I actually have default set for 720p @ 30fps. It's more than nice for any screen I have to view it from...

I'm not saying 4k should not be available. I just don't think it is a must have for the majority of consumers.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd record 4k if available only so in 20 years the video is the best looking back when we are only silly resolution displays. However we don't need 4k screens on phones today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon