GSMArena: Acer Jade Primo Review

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
It's apparently out in the Philippines at least. A press explosion about this device happened on April 15.

But at PHP 28,990 ($616.87 as of 7/3/2016), it's not exactly a good deal for people who can go out and buy the Lumia 950/XL in their native currency. It's also being sold as Phone + accessories (monitor, keyboard and mouse) only for now.

P.S. Some websites are reporting that this phone also has a heatpipe like the Lumias.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=acer+jade+primo&cr=countryPH&biw=1280&bih=835&source=lnt&tbs=ctr%3AcountryPH%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F4%2F2016%2Ccd_max%3A7%2F3%2F2016&tbm=#q=acer+jade+primo&tbas=0&tbs=ctr:countryPH&cr=countryPH

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Had my meat hooks on this beast a couple of nights ago at the MS store and I can't say it made my heart race. It's a smidge smaller than the 640XL on all sides but the curved back made it feel much smaller in hand. It's also quite slippery, definitely need a TPU for this guy. The display is a winner and it makes the 1520's display seem dull for sure. The sounds were well above average, I don't know if the GSMArena review unit was on an earlier build but the sounds were very good. Maybe I'm spoiled by PureView but the camera on this phone is NOT indicative of what a 21MP shooter is capable of. The 18MP Schnauzer-Hasenpfeffer (or whatever it's called) setup on the missus' Priv blows it away. Like any Windows devices sporting more than 2GB of RAM, it flew. The advantages of a light OS are clearly on display.

Please note this mini review was based on about 10 minutes of handling so take it for what it's worth.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
And with my retired modding friend fatclue's report here, it would also be worth noting here that the phone has seen an official price drop to 450 in the USD here at the MS store. That puts it squarely between the 400 and 500 USD of the 950 and the 950 XL respectively that the MS is peddling, with the device dock. With the included goodies and the complete package in mind, at said price. This poor little ignored step child baby redhead, you get the idea, of a phone finally starts making a smidge of sense, and starts being a smidgen competitive. For average joe walking into the store to pick up a good/decent midrange device - which, lets face it, is not what would happen at an MS store. :p But, we now have three midgrade options, all at intermediate price points, since I wouldnt say midrange options... just yet. Considering the state of our ecosystem. :)

Cheerios all.

-- W :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But, we now have three midgrade options, all at intermediate price points, since I wouldnt say midrange options... just yet.
Make no mistake, this is a flagship device regardless of OS. What I consider a misgiving, such as the size and shape, might be a major benefit to someone else. I prefer a more squarish device because my dexterity has been ravaged by RA. I could easily drop this baby 10 times a day. A 640 XL is an easy brick for me to hold. I'm still waiting for the Idol 4S to drop to compare, but this could easily be a worthy alternative to the x3.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to watch the boxing week and see if this goes on sale. I was waiting on the Alcatel Idol but as it's still only on 1 network this is looking as a good way to enter Continuum.

Then find a cheap Hi Rez Droid Tablet to hack into a Display dock. As I already have a good Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard....as the Kickstart Lapdock is getting poor reviews, and the HP Lapdock is "hella" spendy.......I'm sure there is a bricked Samsung Note 10.1 or Tab 10.1 out there I could rip out the guts and hack away at. I would not have the battery the hacked Mac air has but it would be cool to try.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
It already is on sale GreyWolf. You might want to look that one up friend. ^_^ :) And also, I see another kickstarter/indiegogo for another dock going on rn. Might want to check in on that too.

-- W

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It already is on sale GreyWolf. You might want to look that one up friend. ^_^ :) And also, I see another kickstarter/indiegogo for another dock going on rn. Might want to check in on that too.

-- W

I was just on the Microsoft Canada Website......still listed at the same regular price. Unless I missed the sale listing ( I am after all old and not the sharpest tool in the shed ) :)

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, its back to the old prices. Microsoft ran a promo for 299 if I remember right a few days back. We were both a little late Wolf. :/

-- W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre