Dove in and got a Acer Jade Primo Bundle. With the price drop I had to...

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I had noticed over on ebay some sellers lowered their price on available Windows phones. So after a long back and forth with myself between a New Nintendo 2DS XL, an Alcatel Idol 4S, or an Acer Jade Primo , I took the Primo :)

As I have a headset for VR and the Idol ships with one but no dock I figured why not risk going Acer.

I know the Camera is far less then what the Idol has and even lower quality than say a Lumia 950, but I would say it is on par with what I have in the Lumia 640 XL maybe....however I don't take a great deal of pictures.

The dock is what I am interested in, so anybody who has the Jade Primo with Dock, I would love to hear your thoughts !!!!!

I didn't go with a 950 or 950 XL as I saw a friend of mine go through issues with his 950 XL. After his trip to the Microsoft Store to get an exchange and Microsoft just fully refunding his money and saying no exchanges available, hinting to take his money and run I took Lumia off my wish list.

So now I just have to wait for it to ship through the ebay global center.......I can soon retire my 640 Xl back into it's box to sit as a back up.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I am very curious to see how this phone works out for you. I have seen it going for a very cheap price on Amazon and Ebay and might want to pick one up as well! Keep us posted!! :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have one and I can honestly say that except for the speakers, it's a solid improvement over the Idol. The display is the brightest I've ever had on any Windows device and the camera is much better than the Idol or this x3. No joke. Don't fret over the SD808, this thing doesn't heat up one bit.

The dock, keyboard and mouse work very well but they feel very cheap. The wireless dongle is hidden under the battery cover on the mouse. There, I just saved you an hour of your life.

Now for the bad. As I mentioned, the lone rear-firing speaker is atrocious and there's no way around it. It ships with version 1511 with no official path to Anniversary Update let alone Creator. Using the Insider app you can get 1607 but it's a tricky proposition. The reboot process needs to be done while plugged in or it stays shut off. You don't see the"steps" screen so you have to wait it out while staring at a black screen. Do NOT force a reset or you'll end up getting a bootloop and you wasted your time.

It does run the Anniversary Update very well but resets are wonky in that you have to power up manually most of the time. Thankfully, resets are very few and far between. Much fewer than a 950 for sure.

Forget about the Creator Update as every attempt at getting it ends up in a permanent bootloop and having to WDRT back to 1511.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Cool
Thanks for info. I may just stick to 1511 for 6 months or so ( my guess is less ), as I had a read through over at XDA to get up to speed. In truth there really isn't anything in A/U or C/U that is of great interest to me.

My main interest is my Active Stylus matched to the better quality screen of the Acer and the higher rez over my 640 XL. I can not cut my 640 XL down at all as it did way more then it was ever ment to do.
I did try the stylus on a 950 XL and found it to be much better then on the 640, so I hope this will be the case with the Acer.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Given a choice between the 950 XL and Acer, I honestly would have gone with the 950 XL, and not let that particular bad experience steer you away from it. Then again, I'm biased because I'm a Lumia owner myself.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Given a choice between the 950 XL and Acer, I honestly would have gone with the 950 XL, and not let that particular bad experience steer you away from it. Then again, I'm biased because I'm a Lumia owner myself.
I would've probably said the same thing a few weeks ago. That is, until I actually bought and used a Primo. Except for the camera, it smokes the 950's performance in every way imaginable. Whether it's the display, battery life or performance, the Primo is a more refined device. Yes, it lacks the Lumia-only apps but that goes for all non-Lumias including the x3 or Idol 4S. As far as cameras are concerned, only the 950 series are better than the Primo and the reviews bear that out so you don't have to take my word for it.

In short, if the Primo could effectively get the production version of Creator Update I would happily put my x3 for sale. It is that good.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I would've probably said the same thing a few weeks ago. That is, until I actually bought and used a Primo. Except for the camera, it smokes the 950's performance in every way imaginable. Whether it's the display, battery life or performance, the Primo is a more refined device. Yes, it lacks the Lumia-only apps but that goes for all non-Lumias including the x3 or Idol 4S. As far as cameras are concerned, only the 950 series are better than the Primo and the reviews bear that out so you don't have to take my word for it.

In short, if the Primo could effectively get the production version of Creator Update I would happily put my x3 for sale. It is that good.

Wow. Well, it's good to see that we're all serious Windows Phone users here. :cool:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

The better price of the Acer got me looking in the first place. What I paid even with the exchange from US to Canadian, plus import fee and shipping was still well below the last known price on the Microsoft Store (Can).
I am coming from the Lumia family and think the change is good !!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I have been waiting and waiting, man shipping via ebay takes forever.......:unhappy:

It's in the Global Shipping center 4th day now but got labels at last
Sketch.png

So I have been passing the time getting other items on the go 2 Soft Gel cases ( a Smoke Grey and Clear), and now an HDMI to VGA with audio adapter, so I can hook up to a spare 17" VGA. I hope this works LOL
96537-5.jpg

If not I can use this with my tablet, xbox one or find a use some place .

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well that was fast once it left Kentucky :)

I have it, and it's getting it's first charge. So far.....

How it feels in the hand is very good and solid!!!! It has a little more heft to it than my 640 XL, however it is thin !!!! I have played a bit with the UI and like all Windows Phones it's smooth as to be expected.
If your stepping up from lower spec you will notice a speed boost in how fast things open. 640 XL to the Acer is a big jump for me!!!

The Dock has more weight to it then Mr. Dan let on.....yes when next to the X3 dock it is light, however it has a heft to it, and when the phone is in the dock it is not going any where, as it has soft sticky little rubber feet ( nubs) on the corners. When set in place it will not slide.

The USB C cable is thick!!!!!!!!! It can handle the power transfer no issue and no heat, it's a good gauge wire and stiff out of the box.

The case that comes with the phone is easy on and off, and with no Glance screen, the smart cover is an OK trade off. I just wonder how much I am going to miss DTTW of the Lumia line.

The screen is Beautiful to look at coming from the 640 XL, also a touch brighter to my eyes then the Lumia 650

So far color me impressed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well that was fast once it left Kentucky :)

I have it, and it's getting it's first charge. So far.....

How it feels in the hand is very good and solid!!!! It has a little more heft to it than my 640 XL, however it is thin !!!! I have played a bit with the UI and like all Windows Phones it's smooth as to be expected.
If your stepping up from lower spec you will notice a speed boost in how fast things open. 640 XL to the Acer is a big jump for me!!!

The Dock has more weight to it then Mr. Dan let on.....yes when next to the X3 dock it is light, however it has a heft to it, and when the phone is in the dock it is not going any where, as it has soft sticky little rubber feet ( nubs) on the corners. When set in place it will not slide.

The USB C cable is thick!!!!!!!!! It can handle the power transfer no issue and no heat, it's a good gauge wire and stiff out of the box.

The case that comes with the phone is easy on and off, and with no Glance screen, the smart cover is an OK trade off. I just wonder how much I am going to miss DTTW of the Lumia line.

The screen is Beautiful to look at coming from the 640 XL, also a touch brighter to my eyes then the Lumia 650

So far color me impressed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad you're enjoying it so far. I told you that screen is bright.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Starting to get into the Acer !!! It is a good little phone, I will not regret waiting on the price drop!!! My 640 served me well and now it's going back into it's box to become a back up.

I can also report My Adonit Jot Script works a treat on the Acer !!!! Not quite as well as on the 950 XL I sampled, but it took alomst 2 mins to train my hand to get used to the Acer over the 640 XL.

I also now have enough first hand knowledge to say that both screen quality and Resolution play a major factor in in how well the pen works.

950 XL is ???? x 1440 Acer is 1920 x 1080 well above the 640 XL and 650.

Two quick samples ( wish I had more artistic talent )
wp_ss_20170830_0007.jpg
wp_ss_20170830_0006.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to do it, here's the skinny. Use WDRT to reset the phone back to factory or hard reset if you're still on .318. Go through your normal start up but do NOT sign in to your MS account. After the apps load go to the Store and stop all app updates. Refresh the download ONLY for the Store and then try to download the Windows Insider app. You'll be asked to sign in and choose "only for this app". Open the Insider app and select Fast Ring then reboot. After rebooting go to updates in the settings app and check for updates. The process is what you're used to but there are a couple of things to watch for. First, after the grinding gears are done you may not see the migration screen. Don't worry, this happens more often than not. Also, the device may reboot a couple of times before being done and this is also normal behavior. You're not in a bootloop. After about a half hour since the gears finished, do a manual reboot holding the power button until it vibrates. All should be good now and you can proceed with the start up process again. Now this part is voluntary but I strongly urge anybody to skip the MS sign in and do another hard reset as soon as you're able to and go through the entire nerve-wracking process again. NOW you can do a normal start up and sign in to your account but I would resist restoring from a backup - start fresh.

Acer has optimized this model probably better than any other Windows OEM. It simply works better at the same task than any other phone I've used and you'll be pleasantly surprised. For that reason, I recommend a fresh start and not introduce bad habits gleaned from a Lumia or any other Windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb