Why does my bootable USB from ISO Fails?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Bootable USB from ISO Fails

I have an Acer R-13 and am trying to do a dual boot setup for testing Windows 10. I've already partitioned the hard drive, downloaded the ISO file and the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (as well as tried third party ISO writers). However, no matter what, the file always fails before being finished.

I've also tried running it the long way through the Command Prompt, as well as mounting the ISO and copying the mounted files to a USB. Still fails partway through the copy.

I have tried re-downloading the ISO in case there was an issue the first time, but it hasn't changed anything.

I did get one USB to allow it to be mounted and then copied over, a SanDisk, but it is showing up in my computer as a disk drive, not a USB - so I can't get the boot menu to recognize it as a bootable source.

Any insights, assistance, or details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried universal usb tool.never failed with it to boot from my 16 gb micro sd where windows 7 usb dvd tool and others fail to do so.make sure that your usb is of at least 6+gb if it is less than 4 gb you may ne prompted with errors while installing the OS.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Bootable USB from ISO Fails

I did get one USB to allow it to be mounted and then copied over, a SanDisk, but it is showing up in my computer as a disk drive, not a USB - so I can't get the boot menu to recognize it as a bootable source. ----- Clearly USB isnt bootable.
+1 for universal usb tool - it does work, and its better to format your USB yourself first before executing any bootable making software.
Do check size of USB too, since it gets failed even beofre coppying it might be an issue with size.

If you have linux system nearby - you can use dd command as well, it does the work efficiently.

MSUWickedAngel

May 2, 2014
Visit site

I'll definitely try out the different program. Rufus did also fail.

I've been using a 16GB microSD card in a USB stick adapter, and originally did format it myself.

Crossed fingers the recommended program works!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I've never had a problem with Rufus. Make sure the jump drive is formatted in NTFS, FAT32 will not work. Also make sure that USB is set first as boot option in BIOS.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Create the USB using the Windows 7 USB Tool and make sure to disable UEFI boot and configure primary bootable device from BIOS settings before trying again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel