Alcatel Idol Pro 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I admittedly haven't scoured the entire forums for this but I haven't seen much talk about the camera except it is supposedly the same Sony camera that came in the Moto Z Force. As I have looked into it, that phone's camera was not given much of any praise. It is like listening to people talk about how bad the X3's camera is. Can anyone provide more info on the camera besides the megapixel count?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by IM4CHRST
I admittedly haven't scoured the entire forums for this but I haven't seen much talk about the camera except it is supposedly the same Sony camera that came in the Moto Z Force. As I have looked into it, that phone's camera was not given much of any praise. It is like listening to people talk about how bad the X3's camera is. Can anyone provide more info on the camera besides the megapixel count?

I got this from a posting on crackberry.com. "Sony IMX230 21 mp sensor, same as the ELEPHONE M3 and Moto X Style"

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by IM4CHRST

The moto z force came with a Sony IMX338 Exmor RS
(1.12?m, 1/2.4"). DxOMark gave a rating of 87 to the moto z force when evaluating the camera on it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
There is a new leak. Looks like T-Mobile is going to distinguish the Windows Idol 4s with metal trim color of "Halo Gold".

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
This phone from what the description says can open up the camera from the side button. Well at least it has one lumia-esque design that is encouraging. I hope this does very well for the platform.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I hope what I recently saw is not true. I was able to find a cached webpage of Alcatel's website showing the IDOL 4s with Windows from 9/28/2016. It shows it exclusively from T-Mobile and links to their site. I also saw under specifications the connectivity below which makes it exclusively T-Mobile only supporting 3 LTE bands supported.

Connectivity
GSM 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 2/4/5, LTE
2/4/12

If this holds true AT&T or it's other GSM MVNO networks will not be able to use it since AT&T mainly hangs on band 17. Band 17 is a big one in my area especially.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Seems to be a T-Mo thing... Only one Windows Phone at a time and phase them out quick.

IMHO, Alcatel chose the wrong carrier to partner with on this W10M venture. ATT/Cricket would have served them better more likely. C'est la vie.
I have to agree and I am a T-Mobile customer.

jcatx03

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by Nate W
I hope what I recently saw is not true. I was able to find a cached webpage of Alcatel's website showing the IDOL 4s with Windows from 9/28/2016. It shows it exclusively from T-Mobile and links to their site. I also saw under specifications the connectivity below which makes it exclusively T-Mobile only supporting 3 LTE bands supported.

Connectivity
2/4/12

If this holds true AT&T or it's other GSM MVNO networks will not be able to use it since AT&T mainly hangs on band 17. Band 17 is a big one in my area especially.

Isn't B17 a subset of B12? If so I would hope this phone would still be able to utilize B17 (w/in B12) for AT&T, etc. Unless there are some issues with the way T-Mobile has B12 set up (due to volte, etc.) that other carriers can't get around.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Connectivity
2/4/12

Since September 2015 AT&T has been converting to Band 12 with interoperability for legacy Band 17 devices. The problem is not so great as you imagine. Check with AT&T for the status of Band 12 in your area.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Since September 2015 AT&T has been converting to Band 12 with interoperability for legacy Band 17 devices. The problem is not so great as you imagine. Check with AT&T for the status of Band 12 in your area.

Thanks for this information.
True. I'd still prefer an unlocked version. For me band 12 is still limited where I live.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be a T-Mo thing... Only one Windows Phone at a time and phase them out quick.

IMHO, Alcatel chose the wrong carrier to partner with on this W10M venture. ATT/Cricket would have served them better more likely. C'est la vie.
If AT&T was playing hardball, Alcatel may get the last laugh since it appears T-Mobile will be selling them unlocked. AT&T won't feel too clever if most of these are bought from T-Mobile and used on AT&T with AT&T getting nada from the phone sales. I like it!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by HoosierDaddyIf AT&T was playing hardball, Alcatel may get the last laugh since it appears T-Mobile will be selling them unlocked. AT&T won't feel too clever if most of these are bought from T-Mobile and used on AT&T with AT&T getting nada from the phone sales. I like it!

I am curious to see who sells this unlocked. Is there some source info. stating T-Mobile will sell their own exclusive phone unlocked? I read a couple of the articles yesterday, but that was not entirely clear to me.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I am curious to see who sells this unlocked. Is there some source info. stating T-Mobile will sell their own exclusive phone unlocked? I read a couple of the articles yesterday, but that was not entirely clear to me.
Its WC that says T-Mobile is selling them unlocked. Exclusive to sell and exclusive to use (locked) are different things even if they have always been a package in the past. Like you can only buy a new Ford at a Ford dealer but you can get it worked on anywhere.

I think it may be a clever un-carrier move. If T-mobile believes there is a pent-up demand for this type of Windows phone that other carriers aren't providing, why not sell more of these phones than they could just for T-Mobile customers? Plus carrier business models may include subsidizing service support from phone sales which would mean that BYOD customers aren't as profitable on the service side as well as the device sales side. BYOD isn't very popular with customers when the carrier provided decent choices or when customers don't have alternatives. T-Mobile selling phones that can be used on other carriers will force those carriers to react in some way even if just to reevaluate their own practices. I think it may be a good business move for T-Mobile.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Most T-Mobile phones are locked when you purchase them through their financing plans but are unlocked by request after they are paid off or when you first purchase them at full price iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster