Spec questions

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be 1 tray with 2 slots...

Slot 1 is nanoSIM only...

Slot 2 is Adaptive so you must choose either an SD card or a nanoSIM inserted "sideways." You cannot use two cards at once in Slot 2.

I have a similar one for my Moly W5 except Slot 1 is microSIM.

WP_20160728_13_24_15_Raw.jpg

Based on the Idol 4 (not S, just 4) I believe it will look like the tray pictured (from Moly W5) except, as I said, Slot 1 is nano and also that Slot 1 is the outer tray and Slot 2 the inner...

Hope the visual helps.

And how far do you have to be from a wall to remove it.

6-8" minimum. LOL

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's going to be 1 tray with 2 slots...

Slot 1 is nanoSIM only...

Slot 2 is Adaptive so you must choose either an SD card or a nanoSIM inserted "sideways." You cannot use two cards at once in Slot 2.

I have a similar one for my Moly W5 except Slot 1 is microSIM.

View attachment 131696

Based on the Idol 4 (not S, just 4) I believe it will look like the tray pictured (from Moly W5) except, as I said, Slot 1 is nano and also that Slot 1 is the outer tray and Slot 2 the inner...

Hope the visual helps.
The tray is different in the Windows version of the Idol 4S. Picture below from the owners manual. The SD card is closest to the outside of the phone. I don't know if the drawing shows enough to tell if a second nano-SIM could be used in the SD card spot. I don't believe so though, because its not mentioned in the manual.

Do you know if the Moly tray or the Idol tray physically secure the cards (snap in place)? They just lay there in the L1520 and L925 and can easily shift and possibly jam.

Attachments

• Tray.png
    Tray.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 48

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been basing this on supposition, what research I can find and hands on with an Idol 4 for Android at a Cricket store...

The Idol 4 at Cricket does not do dual SIM and shows a tray unlike the one in your drawing as the cards are not in-line they are side-by-side. Idol 3 has in-line and is not dual SIM.

All Adaptive trays I've seen are in-line.

Now I know less than I did this morning when I woke up.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see Gorilla Glass anywhere. The T-Mobile spec sheet shows Dragontrail which is a suitable alternative. However, if it doesn't have an oleophobic coating, I might re-think my decision to get this. My experience with my previous Windows-based Alcatel is littered with homicidal thoughts because of the smudge magnet that was the Fierce XL.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't see Gorilla Glass anywhere. The T-Mobile spec sheet shows Dragontrail which is a suitable alternative. However, if it doesn't have an oleophobic coating, I might re-think my decision to get this. My experience with my previous Windows-based Alcatel is littered with homicidal thoughts because of the smudge magnet that was the Fierce XL.

Just apply your own...oleophobic coatings from the factory wear off over time and need to be reapplied as well.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Just apply your own...oleophobic coatings from the factory wear off over time and need to be reapplied as well.
Can you recommend some? I hadn't thought about this but that's a must have. It's amazing the corners companies will cut. I get that price is important but come on. My Cadillac's screen doesn't have a coating and I swear it can get fingerprints without even touching it, which is ironic since one of its features is the ability to detect and react to fingers that haven't actually touched it. With my Ford, on the other hand, you can get callouses on your fingers from touching the screen before any finger prints were visible.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
My biggest question is does the camera have OIS or not. That is something I have been having trouble finding an answer to.

I agree. That would actually be a deal breaker for me because phones without it can be a real pain toi get decent photos and especially video.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Feels pretty oleophobic to me, or rather, its' much better than recent Lumias.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Do you think insider preview will be able to be used on these? And would you go with the 4S over the Lumia 950? Thanks

Yes, Microsoft lets any new phone on the Insider program as soon as they get the backup ROM on WDRT in case something goes wrong. Insider Rings are for testing future OS updates on supported/new hardware, so they need to included Idol 4S.

Re: second depends on how much you value the better camera performance and/or tap to pay. Otherwise, battery/performance/looks put the Idol 4S ahead.

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Microsoft lets any new phone on the Insider program as soon as they get the backup ROM on WDRT in case something goes wrong. Insider Rings are for testing future OS updates on supported/new hardware, so they need to included Idol 4S.

Re: second depends on how much you value the better camera performance and/or tap to pay. Otherwise, battery/performance/looks put the Idol 4S ahead.
Hi!
I had rollback w10m to 8.1 using WDRT.
In About settings, it shows my model name to 'ms Lumia 535' instead of 'ms Lumia 535 Black'.

Will it affect/void my phone's OS settings?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about it and decided I will get this phone anyway. I want to encourage OEM's to continue making Windows phones and the only way they will do that is if the sales are there. If it isn't satisfactory, I'll just pick up a 950 or 950XL to swap back and forth.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My Sony Xperia Z3 has Dragontrail glass ... it's definitely oleophobic.
FWIW That is accomplished with a coating. I don't know if Dragontrail sells it to phone makers with a coating already on it but a coating can be added by the phone maker to glass that didn't come with it.

anon(9809330)

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. I've had the 950 since April and run it with the release preview ring. Before the 950 I had the Fierce XL and can vouch for the fingerprints. With the Lumia's demise and HP being not an option I was pondering the 4S.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786