The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-27-2018 09:25 PM
203 ... 56789
tools
    Unfortunately here in SD no physical T-Mobile stores yet. They are still implementing Service or Microsoft stores for that matter. So I can't go and touch and play with one before buying.
    I*bought mine without having held one. I've had no regrets whatsoever.
    02-08-2017 01:11 PM
    I just ordered mine from the Web Store. Looking forward to trying it out! I switched carriers; trying Freedom/Wind in Canada; my Ativ SE doesn't work with their frequencies (btw: the Ativ SE is the best Windows Phone that no-one knows about!). I bought a Lumia 650; great little phone for the price; wonderful looking OLED screen (even though it's only 720p), but the poor guy can't keep up with only 1 G of RAM, and the camera is way weaker than my Ativ SE. So...we'll see how the Idol 4 does!
    I am very familiar with the ATIV SE. Looks to be like Samsung's last great Windows phone effort if we never see another from them. Was it the knock off/look alike of S4 model? I still had mine up until a month ago...
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-08-2017 05:59 PM
    I am very familiar with the ATIV SE. Looks to be like Samsung's last great Windows phone effort if we never see another from them. Was it the knock off/look alike of S4 model? I still had mine up until a month ago...
    Such a great phone. Yes, it was similar to the GS4 but then again, all Samsungs look the same. Being a Verizon exclusive hurt this phone's sales big time. There's a comparo somewhere here on Windows Central involving the Ativ, One M8 and the Icon focusing on their cameras. Interesting read to say the least.
    nate0 and libra89 like this.
    02-08-2017 06:34 PM
    Such a great phone. Yes, it was similar to the GS4 but then again, all Samsungs look the same. Being a Verizon exclusive hurt this phone's sales big time. There's a comparo somewhere here on Windows Central involving the Ativ, One M8 and the Icon focusing on their cameras. Interesting read to say the least.
    Ya. VZ hogged that one all to itself and of course the ICON/929.
    02-08-2017 07:59 PM
    I*bought mine without having held one. I've had no regrets whatsoever.
    Same here
    libra89, TgeekB and editguy like this.
    02-09-2017 09:59 AM
    I was able to purchase one of the unlocked variants through the Microsoft online store. For some reason the local stores here near me are not reporting any on hand...

I have held the phone in the T-Mobile store back in November when it got released. They also let me hold the demo/shell unit to feel it without the security linkage attached. Will wait and see how it turns out :).
    libra89, editguy and RumoredNow like this.
    02-09-2017 01:05 PM
    I was able to purchase one of the unlocked variants through the Microsoft online store. For some reason the local stores here near me are not reporting any on hand...

I have held the phone in the T-Mobile store back in November when it got released. They also let me hold the demo/shell unit to feel it without the security linkage attached. Will wait and see how it turns out :).
    Ooh please share your impressions and thoughts! If it comes to mind, I'm curious to know how you would compare the feel over the x3 since you have/had that too?
    RumoredNow and nate0 like this.
    02-09-2017 01:15 PM
    Ooh please share your impressions and thoughts! If it comes to mind, I'm curious to know how you would compare the feel over the x3 since you have/had that too?
    Oh definitely. I had the X3 on me at the time I viewed/held the Idol4s at the T-Mobile store. I did not necessarily compare them side by side, but it felt relieving to hold the idol4s. I owned multiple 950s and only one 950xl because the XL was too much screen for my needs. The x3 though is one of a kind. It was fun while I used it, but continued to prove increasingly uncomfortable for my day to day use. Especially if you need to use the device in one hand only.

I was tempted to jump ship from AT&T while at the T-Mobile store, but fortunately they pushed out the unlocked model.
    02-09-2017 04:39 PM
    Oh definitely. I had the X3 on me at the time I viewed/held the Idol4s at the T-Mobile store. I did not necessarily compare them side by side, but it felt relieving to hold the idol4s. I owned multiple 950s and only one 950xl because the XL was too much screen for my needs. The x3 though is one of a kind. It was fun while I used it, but continued to prove increasingly uncomfortable for my day to day use. Especially if you need to use the device in one hand only.

I was tempted to jump ship from AT&T while at the T-Mobile store, but fortunately they pushed out the unlocked model.
    This kind of commentary is what I meant, thanks so much for this!

Battery life, speed, camera, etc.
    nate0, fatclue_98 and RumoredNow like this.
    02-09-2017 04:52 PM

I came extreeeeeemly close to buying a used x3 on eBay a couple times. Once was pretty serious but the buyer turned down what I thought was a generous offer. Then the next day the Idol4s was available unlocked.
    I'm so glad they turned down my offer. 😎

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    02-09-2017 06:02 PM
    This kind of commentary is what I meant, thanks so much for this!

Battery life, speed, camera, etc.
    Sure thing. It is on the way and should have it on Monday.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-10-2017 04:15 PM
    IDOL 4S first impressions:
    Just got my new (and first) Alcatel phone (took only 3 days to get to me from ordering online from Microsoft store; I live in Vancouver; well done Microsoft!).
    Pros:
    Super thin and light! (thinner and lighter than iPhone 6s plus and iPhone 7s plus); much lighter and thinner than HP Elite x3!
    High quality solid metallic 'feel' (not plastic Lumia feel)
    Great screen; 5.5 inch is perfect size for me; not quite as warm as my Lumia 650 OLED screen, but still very bright and clean (same 401 ppi as iPhone 6S Plus and iPhone 7S Plus)
    Excellent reception; i'm getting more bars and much stronger signal than with my 650
    Call clarity is excellent; says 'HD' up in the top corner when i'm calling; i'll have to look into what that means.
    Finger print reader/Windows Hello works excellent
    Love the dedicated camera button! (but not completely used to the location: half way up the right side of the phone...)
    Speakers sound great!
    Super quick charge! Went from 10% to 100% in 30 minutes. Can't make a proper call on battery drain/use; i'm still setting things up; need more time for it to settle down into regular use to make the call...
    Camera seems good; need more use to make a proper call; it's noticeably much better than my 650, but not sure if it's better than my ATIV SE....; much higher resolution than iPhones....
    Double tap to unlock.
    64 GB build in storage, plus Micro SD card slot: awesome!

Cons:
    Can't remove battery; this my first phone where I don't have that option; not sold on this...
    Super slippery feel; if you have dry hands, you better get a case (I ordered one of off dBay for $6.99; i'll let you know the verdict when I get it)
    Only 3.5 GB RAM; my 3 year old ATIV SE has 2 GB RAM; for the price i just paid, i'm thinking I should be getting more RAM....
    The camera lens sticks out on the back a bit farther than I thought it would; I hope I don't damage it....
    No Glance Screen...
    USB 3 connector means none of my other charger cables at work or school will work with this phone....have to get new extra cables.

So far: love this phone! Have not tried any of the VR stuff yet. By the way: don't 'restore from back up' when setting this phone up for the firs time; i restored from my Lumia 650 cause i wanted my start screen to look the same, and was too lazy to start from scratch; but...when none of the VR stuff showed up, i reset the phone and started new, and i got all the Alcatel VR stuff; not sure if i'll use it, but i'll give it a try.
    Very solid Hardware; hope the software and apps keep up....
    Last edited by darrell reimer; 02-13-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    editguy, mark233, Matty and 3 others like this.
    02-13-2017 12:39 AM
    Only 3.5 GB RAM; my 3 year old ATIV SE has 2 GB RAM; for the price i just paid, i'm thinking I should be getting more RAM....
    It actually has 4 gigs of ram. The OS limits it to 3.5
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    02-13-2017 12:57 AM
    It actually has 4 gigs of ram. The OS limits it to 3.5
    wp_ss_20170212_0001.jpg
    02-13-2017 01:31 AM
    This is unarguably the highest end Windows device we've seen from T-Mobile in a long time. And it's certainly the highest spec Windows device we've ever seen out of Alcatel. And as an added bonus, it's got that intriguing VR package going on. Who's thinking of grabbing one? What are your thoughts? We're only 9 days away from release!
    I wouldn't mind picking one up. The design is very nice and as you said "its certainly the highest spec we have seen". I've even entered the WindowsCentral competition every single day to possibly win one :D It's that worth it haha. One of the additional draw cards is the VR headset. You often have to purchase one separately but this comes with one which is pretty cool. :D
    02-13-2017 05:58 AM
    IDOL 4S first impressions:
    Thanks for the detailed Pros and Cons @darrell reimer!

Always love it when i see more pros than cons. The non-removable battery and camera sticking out isn't really a con for me. I rather have a better camera with a bulge than a worse camera thats flush with the device. I kinda wish it was able to utilise the full 4GB but honestly, i think 3.5GB is enough to run the device smoothly :)
    libra89, RumoredNow and mark233 like this.
    02-13-2017 06:04 AM
    Thanks Derrell, we are using the clear Insipio case available at the T-Mobile store and really like the thinness and grip, plus is shows off the great look op the phone & protects the camera lens/hump.
    02-13-2017 11:40 AM
    Thanks for the great post. I enjoyed reading it...

Super slippery feel; if you have dry hands, you better get a case (I ordered one of off dBay for $6.99; i'll let you know the verdict when I get it)
    You might want to check this review... I was always a case guy, but now I can show off the beauty of the Idol 4S and still be protected. http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...get-naked.html

...I restored from my Lumia 650 cause i wanted my start screen to look the same, and was too lazy to start from scratch; but...when none of the VR stuff showed up, i reset the phone and started new, and i got all the Alcatel VR stuff; not sure if i'll use it, but i'll give it a try....
    Interesting is an understatement. There are users trying to delete the VR Apps. I'll pass this nugget of found wisdom along to them.
    libra89 and darrell reimer like this.
    02-13-2017 12:00 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20170212_0001.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	133838
    That's because the OS is only capable of accessing 3.5 gigs. From Alcatel's website:
    idol-4s-specs.png
    libra89 and nate0 like this.
    02-13-2017 01:40 PM
    Interesting is an understatement. There are users trying to delete the VR Apps. I'll pass this nugget of found wisdom along to them.
    It's interesting, but it may just be a quirk. When I received mine I did a restore from my L925 and all of the VR apps were (and are) there.
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    02-13-2017 01:42 PM
    I ordered one from T-Mobile and it arrived at my office in Wisconsin today. I'm currently in Florida so I won't be able to get my hands on it until Friday or Saturday.

I'm looking forward to it, I haven't used a Windows phone since WP8 and am curious to give 10 a try.
    libra89, TgeekB, editguy and 1 others like this.
    02-15-2017 04:40 PM
    I ordered one from T-Mobile and it arrived at my office in Wisconsin today. I'm currently in Florida so I won't be able to get my hands on it until Friday or Saturday.

I'm looking forward to it, I haven't used a Windows phone since WP8 and am curious to give 10 a try.
    That's awesome, but would drive me crazy knowing it was waiting for me but I couldn't play with it yet. Enjoy!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    02-15-2017 05:45 PM

I am curious, what are you using now?
    02-15-2017 06:25 PM
    I am curious, what are you using now?
    I'm using a Galaxy S7 Edge I got after having to return my recalled Note 7. I like it a lot, but am always open to trying new devices.

I use Android, iOS, Windows 10, and Linux. My watches range from Android Wear to Samsung, to my favorite Garmin Fenix 3 HR.

I guess I'm pretty open minded about devices and operating systems.

Ok, I admit it, I'm a tech geek LOL
    libra89, nate0, mark233 and 4 others like this.
    02-15-2017 08:36 PM
    Not sure if anyone has checked out the full specs of what the hardware on this device could or is capable of. It is here. You will need to translate from Chinese. The thing I found good was the 500 nits capable brightness of the screen. I was wondering what it was capable of...
    HoosierDaddy and RumoredNow like this.
    02-22-2017 10:48 AM
203 ... 56789