Who is eyeing an Alcatel Idol 4S

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm from Canada an eyeing this definitely but no reason to get it at it this time :( I have the 950xl, my wife the 950.... my mom 640.... like this phone is too much phone for my mom and even my wife lol.

Between this and X3, a couple very interesting choices in the higher end!

Can't wait to see where Wharton Brooks fits in...

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm very interested. I've been switching back and forth constantly between my old 930 and a 650. The 930 has Hey Cortana and better camera, but no Glance or Wallet which the 650 does. And it's heavier. If the Alcatel supports Glance, Wallet and Hey Cortana, with 21 mp camera, it could be a winner for me. (It would be really great if it also worked on my Qi charger). Earlier in the year I switched from AT&T to Cricket no contract, so this would be an easy switch for me.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried to pre-order, but t-mobile wasn't ready when I called. Obviously we now have the benefit of Dan being able to review the phone, so I'll be waiting for that, but yes, I'm sure I'll order it.

joshcaleb27

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
If somehow i can get this on AT&T then I will buy one.

It also begs the question what content is available in VR? Is there actual VR stuff in the Windows Store right now, what purpose would this serve exactly? And if there is can i use my 950 XL with VR as it is with a VR headset? soooo many questions....

The phone comes unlocked.

klewis2046

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I will definitely be buying!! Been with T-Mobile for a while now going from the 635 to 640 so the Alcatel Idol 4S with its mega specs will be an upgrade. Been waiting for a phone like this from the carrier for a while and glade my patience is good. It was pretty irritating that the 640 never got the Windows 10 update so the Alcatel Idol 4S although delayed came at a good time. It's going to be nice using Windows 10 mobile and PC with UWP with some apps. :smile::smile::smile:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Definitely eyeing this. I don't care for the VR so would love a cheaper option without the VR headset??

I'm from the Caribbean so I really hope this is unlocked and compatible. It will be a definite and much needed upgrade from my Lumia 640. I'll be flying to NY on the 17NOV so hoping I can pop into a T-Mobile store and pick one up. MY CREDIT CARD IS READY.

My biggest concern though is... Support.. Will Alcatel be pushing firmware updates regularly for this device? HP has already pushed out a couple for the X3 and that is the kind of support I would hope we get with the Idol.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I really want to get this phone but I can't see myself leaving Android to go back to Windows 10 Mobile right now. I was already using Windows Phone since it pretty much came out for four years and restructuring when going from WP7.8 to WP8. Lastly at least one major must have, and it's a must have since I make money using it, is missing and that's the Uber Partner app. If the Windows ecosystem gets that app I would at least consider using it full time.

I have been crying for years that T-Mobile(and other carriers outside of AT&T) have not gotten the best phones available be it the Lumia 920, 1020(which I still have), 1520 and the most recent 950. I would probably still be using Windows Phone if the last batch of those phones were available on T-Mobile when Microsoft cancelled the McLaren phone. But now that I've been exposed to a truly rich app ecosystem and Windows Phone had lost most of its charm(the beautiful and smartly integrated hubs), I find it more of a compromise to return to Windows and I still plan to. I need to see more from Microsoft in terms of app porting and features in the OS.

I really hope fans jump on this phone and buy it though. I'm still debating on if I'll get it and get a cheap Android device to solve some of the missing app problems.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Definitely eyeing this. I don't care for the VR so would love a cheaper option without the VR headset??

I'm from the Caribbean so I really hope this is unlocked and compatible. It will be a definite and much needed upgrade from my Lumia 640. I'll be flying to NY on the 17NOV so hoping I can pop into a T-Mobile store and pick one up. MY CREDIT CARD IS READY.

My biggest concern though is... Support.. Will Alcatel be pushing firmware updates regularly for this device? HP has already pushed out a couple for the X3 and that is the kind of support I would hope we get with the Idol.
As the previous owner of the Fierce XL for Windows, I can vouch for Alcatel's updating. I received every available update including the Anniversary Update and into 14393.321.....in spite of T-Mobile. I don't think updates will be an issue.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm very interested. I've been switching back and forth constantly between my old 930 and a 650. The 930 has Hey Cortana and better camera, but no Glance or Wallet which the 650 does. And it's heavier. If the Alcatel supports Glance, Wallet and Hey Cortana, with 21 mp camera, it could be a winner for me. (It would be really great if it also worked on my Qi charger). Earlier in the year I switched from AT&T to Cricket no contract, so this would be an easy switch for me.

This phone will not support Wallet in the sense i think you are referring to, which is Tap To Pay. There is no NFC chip in this phone or Qi. So no tap to pay. You can of course download wallet on any Windows Phone out there and just use it for points, rewards, benefit cards but not paying with the wallet.

I have a 950 XL plus 4 other windows phones which i love all of them (except the 822 which is absolutely horrid on Windows 10 Mobile). This will be my first non lumia phone since the HTC Trophy. It's a great deal and an awesome speced phone for the price. The only reason i didnt buy the Elite was because its super high (but justified) price tag and the fact that i think its too big, the 950 XL at 5.7" is pushing it, i cant image a phone with a 5.96" screen. 5.5" sounds nice and the VR concept looks cool. Can't wait to buy it tomorrow.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
NFC, Tap to Pay, Windows Wallet is mostly useless in Canada as we lag so far behind the US in adoption. Banks up here are just now coming on line with Apple Pay and Google Pay.
The Tim's App My Timmys could have had access a long time ago, as they have had tap to pay Debit system almost 2 years now. However it is stuck with a scan to pay system on Windows ( bar code display on screen for scan). My 1020 had NFC but the app never updated. I am not sure about the Apple and Android version apps.

The VR holds interest to me, as it would be my first VR anything. Prior to this VR did not even spark an interest. Now this could become something interesting as Microsoft has stuck a toe into the VR Market as well.

Microsoft is pushing into UWP, so anything VR they do for PC will have trickel down effect into Windows 10 for Mobile, that is if they don't push it out and then drop it like Windows RT. (Still a sore spot with me)

The Alcatel leaves the Camera open to the world, so this could lead to a dumb down version of AR ( mainly media playback), a hololens like thing.

In truth I see this as the corner we have to round to be able to see whats ahead.

Added bonus to Alcatel hitting market with a Handset + VR, is going to have Samsung looking on to see numbers, as they need a boost in light of the Note 7 fire bug.

It looks as if things keep going there is a future, and at last some things to hush up the "Windows Phone is Dead" crowd. This alone is not the saving grace, but just a very good start to calm the waters of the panicked mass.

Kcnewf2

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I need to see Dan's detailed review and determine if I am ok with no NFC for 2 yesrs before I make a decision to purchase.

It will either be this phone for me on T-Mobile or I will re-defect to Android V20 on T-Mobile or I might wait for 2017 and the Note 7 replacement.

I have little faith that the mythical "surface phone" will ever materialize.

My personal cell history
Nokia 520 to Galaxy S5 to Galaxy Note 7 to Alcatel One Touch Fierce

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I need to see Dan's detailed review and determine if I am ok with no NFC for 2 yesrs before I make a decision to purchase.

It will either be this phone for me on T-Mobile or I will re-defect to Android V20 on T-Mobile or I might wait for 2017 and the Note 7 replacement.

I have little faith that the mythical "surface phone" will ever materialize.

My personal cell history
Nokia 520 to Galaxy S5 to Galaxy Note 7 to Alcatel One Touch Fierce

I can live without the NFC. It is not used where I am from .

I would still like to see Dan's detailed review.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
is lack of glance screen a deal breaker for anyone?
Not for me. It's not that hard to push a button. It would be nice to have it, but certainly not a deal breaker. I wanted OIS for the camera for video, but I decided that's not even a deal breaker.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Welp. That was a fun thought for a couple days that I might actually be able to get this phone and have it work on AT&T.

As Dan recently reported it will not be unlocked and will not work on AT&T, his was a pre-production unit that wasn't locked down...oh well. Sticking with the 950 XL for a while now it seems like (and 650 for sure...love that little phone, just wish it was faster)!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb