Who is eyeing an Alcatel Idol 4S

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I just called a local T-Mobile and they said that they have them in stock but there is no way to even sell me the phone without having a tmobile account or switch to tmobile. So basically they wont unlock it for me or even sell it to me, I would have to switch to tmobile to get the phone which I figured anyways...oh well.
What if u had a prepaid tmobile account would they sell it to u?

Here's another shot while I'm out now on my Alcatel

GxW4dwr.jpg

Sent from mTalk

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just called a local T-Mobile and they said that they have them in stock but there is no way to even sell me the phone without having a tmobile account or switch to tmobile. So basically they wont unlock it for me or even sell it to me, I would have to switch to tmobile to get the phone which I figured anyways...oh well.
They are lying to you or extremely ignorant or T-Mobile just made a disastrous (for them) policy change right before a major gift giving season. I've given T-Mobile phones to people as gifts and had no problem buying them. They were purchased in November and activated as new T-Mobile accounts by the recipient AFTER they were opened Christmas morning.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
They are lying to you or extremely ignorant or T-Mobile just made a disastrous (for them) policy change right before a major gift giving season. I've given T-Mobile phones to people as gifts and had no problem buying them. They were purchased in November and activated as new T-Mobile accounts by the recipient AFTER they were opened Christmas morning.

well either way...even if i could actually buy the phone, according to tmos policy i would have to wait 40 days with an active good standing account to get it unlocked which im not about to do. But i would love to accomplish this somehow, im open to suggestions if anyone has figured it out or successfully done it.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Comparison Photos. The 950 is much more true to life...Idol 4S, white and washed out.

950:

temporary_zpswjx8ujgk.jpg

Idol 4S:

temporary_zpsotki6jsx.jpg

Played with the white balance...looking better:

WP_20161111_20_48_26_Pro_zpswggvce86.JPG

Last edited:

argenys

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Comparison Photos. The 950 is much more true to life...Idol 4S, white and washed out.

950:

View attachment 131860

Idol 4S:

View attachment 131861

Just goes to show how great the 950/XL cameras were. Even today they hold their own with the newer phones and in some specific scenarios are better. The Alcatel camera didn't have a chance. It's a year older than the Lumia one and doesn't have OIS and the same processing. Even it being almost 2 years old, I think for average consumers who don't put much weight on quality its more than good enough. And I'd say apart from the major phone companies, which Alcatel is not, it holds its own.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ironically, despite the lack of OIS in the Alcatel, it looks sharper than the 950XL, which seems to have experienced some camera shake.

Not to be picky, but its a 950, not a 950XL. Not sure if that's important or not.

Spent 2 mins playing the VR games...just about threw up. Guess I'll be putting that away! That's a weird feeling!

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Looked at the 3 pictures some more...that purple stuff animal behind Chloe is a much brighter (just visible in the 950 pict), but much less vibrant when changing the white balance. Guess that's the trade off...(I'm not a photographer).

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Looked at the 3 pictures some more...that purple stuff animal behind Chloe is a much brighter (just visible in the 950 pict), but much less vibrant when changing the white balance. Guess that's the trade off...(I'm not a photographer).

That might just be a white balance issue. #1 and #3 are not *exactly* the same white balance and it probably accounts for the difference in the purple toy that you're seeing. As for the 950/950XL issue, I don't think it should matter. Both have optical image stabilization which should reduce issues with camera shake at slow shutter speeds (like you would see on an indoors shot). It's surprising that the 950 had camera shake while the Alcatel, which has no OIS, did not. Of course, it's only one picture and a more thorough comparison is needed.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
well either way...even if i could actually buy the phone, according to tmos policy i would have to wait 40 days with an active good standing account to get it unlocked which im not about to do. But i would love to accomplish this somehow, im open to suggestions if anyone has figured it out or successfully done it.
Hmmm. I'm thinking of opening a business that provides free phones to T-Mobile customers. I'll buy the phones and let my customers use them for 40 days and then give them a new one. I'll unlock and sell the previous phone they had to people who want a T-Mobile phone but not T-Mobile. Obviously there will be overhead costs, etc. So how much extra would people like you pay for an unlocked 40 day old T-Mobile phone? ;)

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I really like it. Build quality is superb. Device operates fast and smoothly overall. Terrific speakers and sound quality. Battery life is better than the 950XL I had before. Front camera is excellent. Rear camera is decent. Not as good as the Lumias, but photos posted in the Idol 4S photo thread on the forum show the potential. Today was the first day I really got to give the camera a workout. I plan to post some photos in the Idol 4S photo thread once I get them sorted.

Sent from mTalk on my Alcatel Idol 4S for Windows

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm eyeing one granted it becomes available unlocked and available to the international market.

Alcatel has a real opportunity here, the phone starved Windows Phone fans who are left with legacy x20 devices. They should capitalize on this and not limit it to just T-Mo customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12