Who is eyeing an Alcatel Idol 4S

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
edit guy, you say the Alcatel has better reception than your 950 I assume you are on T-mobile? My 650 has very good reception on Cricket in SD LTE most every where. Curious about how the Alcatel compares to the Nexus 6p. My son uses one on T-Mobile here in SD Reception is usually 2-3 bars and when I talk to him he sounds like he is in a can. very muffled and quiet.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
edit guy, you say the Alcatel has better reception than your 950 I assume you are on T-mobile? My 650 has very good reception on Cricket in SD LTE most every where. Curious about how the Alcatel compares to the Nexus 6p. My son uses one on T-Mobile here in SD Reception is usually 2-3 bars and when I talk to him he sounds like he is in a can. very muffled and quiet.

On T-Mobile, any TMO-branded device will work better due to Enhanced LTE which is not available on the 950 for TMO's bands and VoLTE. That said, the 950 will blow an Idol (unlocked) away on an AT&T carrier/MVNO for the same reason. As for the 6P, Motorolas have always had stellar radios so I'm sure it will be better than the Idol. Provided it's a TMO-branded 6P.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
my son's nexus 6p is an unlocked version. being used on T-Mobile. Like I said the voice quality is horrible. I would love to try the Idol on Cricket but for me it is still a phone first and voice calls are top priority as I use mine for business calls. Maybe by some slim chance I will win the Idol in the give away.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I admit I don't use the call portion of my phone a lot, but I haven't had any issues with my Idol yet. No one has complained.
I'm on Cricket by the way.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't have the 950, I have the L925 which was Tmo branded. I get reception with my Idol in areas around town and in*my house that I never got*with the 925. Also, the quality of the calls is much improved. No muffled voices and no echoing calls.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the 950, I have the L925 which was Tmo branded. I get reception with my Idol in areas around town and in*my house that I never got*with the 925. Also, the quality of the calls is much improved. No muffled voices and no echoing calls.

There are so many variables when discussing this. Carrier, nearest cell tower, walls in building you're in, etc. Tough to get consensus. The important thing is if it works for you under your conditions, which sounds like it does. Me too.

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site

On Cricket as well, and my wife has a 650, I have the Idol 4s. We were in a restaurant the other day, she had 2 bars and I had 4. and she never complains about reception with her 650.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately here in SD no physical T-Mobile stores yet. They are still implementing Service or Microsoft stores for that matter. So I can't go and touch and play with one before buying.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered mine from the Web Store. Looking forward to trying it out! I switched carriers; trying Freedom/Wind in Canada; my Ativ SE doesn't work with their frequencies (btw: the Ativ SE is the best Windows Phone that no-one knows about!). I bought a Lumia 650; great little phone for the price; wonderful looking OLED screen (even though it's only 720p), but the poor guy can't keep up with only 1 G of RAM, and the camera is way weaker than my Ativ SE. So...we'll see how the Idol 4 does!

I am very familiar with the ATIV SE. Looks to be like Samsung's last great Windows phone effort if we never see another from them. Was it the knock off/look alike of S4 model? I still had mine up until a month ago...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am very familiar with the ATIV SE. Looks to be like Samsung's last great Windows phone effort if we never see another from them. Was it the knock off/look alike of S4 model? I still had mine up until a month ago...

Such a great phone. Yes, it was similar to the GS4 but then again, all Samsungs look the same. Being a Verizon exclusive hurt this phone's sales big time. There's a comparo somewhere here on Windows Central involving the Ativ, One M8 and the Icon focusing on their cameras. Interesting read to say the least.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Such a great phone. Yes, it was similar to the GS4 but then again, all Samsungs look the same. Being a Verizon exclusive hurt this phone's sales big time. There's a comparo somewhere here on Windows Central involving the Ativ, One M8 and the Icon focusing on their cameras. Interesting read to say the least.

Ya. VZ hogged that one all to itself and of course the ICON/929.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was able to purchase one of the unlocked variants through the Microsoft online store. For some reason the local stores here near me are not reporting any on hand...

I have held the phone in the T-Mobile store back in November when it got released. They also let me hold the demo/shell unit to feel it without the security linkage attached. Will wait and see how it turns out :).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I was able to purchase one of the unlocked variants through the Microsoft online store. For some reason the local stores here near me are not reporting any on hand...

I have held the phone in the T-Mobile store back in November when it got released. They also let me hold the demo/shell unit to feel it without the security linkage attached. Will wait and see how it turns out :).

Ooh please share your impressions and thoughts! If it comes to mind, I'm curious to know how you would compare the feel over the x3 since you have/had that too?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ooh please share your impressions and thoughts! If it comes to mind, I'm curious to know how you would compare the feel over the x3 since you have/had that too?

Oh definitely. I had the X3 on me at the time I viewed/held the Idol4s at the T-Mobile store. I did not necessarily compare them side by side, but it felt relieving to hold the idol4s. I owned multiple 950s and only one 950xl because the XL was too much screen for my needs. The x3 though is one of a kind. It was fun while I used it, but continued to prove increasingly uncomfortable for my day to day use. Especially if you need to use the device in one hand only.

I was tempted to jump ship from AT&T while at the T-Mobile store, but fortunately they pushed out the unlocked model.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Oh definitely. I had the X3 on me at the time I viewed/held the Idol4s at the T-Mobile store. I did not necessarily compare them side by side, but it felt relieving to hold the idol4s. I owned multiple 950s and only one 950xl because the XL was too much screen for my needs. The x3 though is one of a kind. It was fun while I used it, but continued to prove increasingly uncomfortable for my day to day use. Especially if you need to use the device in one hand only.

I was tempted to jump ship from AT&T while at the T-Mobile store, but fortunately they pushed out the unlocked model.

This kind of commentary is what I meant, thanks so much for this!

Battery life, speed, camera, etc.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I came extreeeeeemly close to buying a used x3 on eBay a couple times. Once was pretty serious but the buyer turned down what I thought was a generous offer. Then the next day the Idol4s was available unlocked.
I'm so glad they turned down my offer. 😎

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers