Idol 4S or 950XL

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If camera is a key feature then you want the 950XL.

Yes, this is a little faster and has a fingerprint reader over the XL, but the XL camera is significantly better and has NFC for payment potential (although limited bank currently).

The XL case is poor though. Get a nice Mozo case and then the XL feels more premium.

Where I really think the XL camera shines is in lower light (like indoor shots) and video - you can zoom way in on it and it's pretty amazing. Best of any phone I've seen. The OIS works well with digital stabilization to provide a nice video from quite a way back.

Saying that, if you are going to use Continuum a lot, then the Idol is probably the better choice as performance should be a little smoother. And having the fingerprint reader is a big plus. I don't use the face scanner on the XL because typing a pin is quicker for me. Fingerprint readers are definitely the way to go on that front.

On the camera front, XL. For most other aspects, the Idol.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Okay so aside from the fingerprint scanner and front facing speaker, what is there that should make this phone better than the 950XL. Obviously the SD820 hasn't been impressing people in the Elite X3 so that isn't a good response, and I assume HP is giving better support than Alcatel will be since this is simply a repackaged android phone. My main gripe with the X3 is the camera so it is out based on price, but what about the 4S? The camera is a key feature for me so what are people's opinions?

Better battery life, more RAM, nicer looking display (2.5D glass), front facing stereo speakers, fingerprint reader, and just a nicer looking phone, Wi-Fi Calling (T-Mo).

Things you lose: Qi, NFC/Tap to pay, Iris scanner, better camera.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
The question is if alcatel will be supporting the device...... Who knows when we will see a firmware update from them...

I see no obvious reason why it needs new firmware. I think many of you just lump 'put magic things and improvements' into firmware. OS updates are much more important and relevant bar any existing hardware issues.

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I see no obvious reason why it needs new firmware. I think many of you just lump 'put magic things and improvements' into firmware. OS updates are much more important and relevant bar any existing hardware issues.

Only "magical" improvement might be if NFC is available in hardware but not currently enabled via firmware.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Only "magical" improvement might be if NFC is available in hardware but not currently enabled via firmware.

In theory, sure. I see no reason why that would be the case, however. I'll ask Alcatel directly, but if they're not listing NFC on the spec sheet I see no reason why something that simple would be turned on later. Fingerprint reader requires AU/RS1, making that an exception for the Elite x3. NFC though is pretty basic.

Edit: Alcatel says no NFC. Firmware won't change that.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Daniel. Waiting for your full review.

Hope you can also talk about what good cases/ tempered glasses to go along with the device as well

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Better battery life, more RAM, nicer looking display (2.5D glass), front facing stereo speakers, fingerprint reader, and just a nicer looking phone, Wi-Fi Calling (T-Mo).

Things you lose: Qi, NFC/Tap to pay, Iris scanner, better camera.

Tap to pay is non existent where I live. Don't care for iris scanner and i'm not a big time photographer so the camera quality won't bother me.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In theory, sure. I see no reason why that would be the case, however. I'll ask Alcatel directly, but if they're not listing NFC on the spec sheet I see no reason why something that simple would be turned on later. Fingerprint reader requires AU/RS1, making that an exception for the Elite x3. NFC though is pretty basic.

Edit: Alcatel says no NFC. Firmware won't change that.

So this phone is another stepping stone.
I find it amazing that companies wont pack all the features into one device. They always have to leave something out to step fwd on something else.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Idol 4s would have been my choice because of the snapdragon 820. The camera seems good enough. Lumia 950xl has one of the best cameras sure but does that really matter that much? We aren't professionals. You look at an iphone 6s photo it looks good, you look at a samsung photo it looks good. You only really know which camera is better if you compare side by side.
The specs that sites are showing don't seem to be listing NFC (though the android version has it so it just may be windows sites leaving it out?). And seems MS is updating their wallet app with more banks. Granted here in Canada our debit cards support tap to pay but they are limited to 100 dollars due to no authentication occurring of any kind. So you lose your card anyone can just tap to pay for things before you realize.
If tap to pay is something you may want in the future then I would investigate further to see if NFC really is missing. Otherwise go with the alcatel. Honestly the 950xl is great but it is a battery hog and the 810 chip can only do so much. It was plagued by issues of heat and throttling. Ms has done a marvelous job with it but no phone can get it tamed perfectly.

If the device is great out of the box with no issues that would require firmware update then go for it. Not getting firmware updates isn't a big deal if the firmware is done well from the start. HP had some troubles but they are new to the phone business, Alcatel isn't.

There is no NFC or Qi, presumable because of the metal/glass backing of the phone.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
For me the Idol 4s has better speakers, and better processor, better design and slimmer

The camera is good not the greatest or the worst just good.

Here's a couple sample shots

odpzBav.jpg

SYqo0vY.jpg

lTtsddT.jpg

The last pic was kind of a rushed shot but I think the camera is perfectly capable

Sent from mTalk

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
If you got Lumia 950 XL, then you will have:

1- Better rear camera.
2- NFC.
3- Wireless Charging feature.
4- Better display.
5- Dual SIM card option.
6- Bigger battery.
7- Iris scan.
8- More microphones.
9- Got updates directly from Microsoft.
10- Removable battery.

If you got Idol 4s, then you will have:

1- Faster Phone.
2- High quality and very loud speakers.
3- Better front facing camera.
4- Excellent build quality.
5- 4 GB of RAM.
6- 64 GB internal memory.
7- Better display sensor.
8- Finger print.
9- fast charging.
10- Better battery life.
11- Wi-Fi calling (T-Mobile).
12- better Bluetooth antenna.
13- Better on Wi-Fi and Mobile network gets better signals.
14- VR.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

1- Better rear camera.
2- NFC.
4- Better display.
5- Dual SIM card option.
6- Bigger battery.
7- Iris scan.
8- More microphones.
10- Removable battery.

1- Faster Phone.
5- 4 GB of RAM.
8- Finger print.
9- fast charging.
10- Better battery life.
14- VR.
950 has fast charge

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

1- Better rear camera.
2- NFC.
4- Better display.
5- Dual SIM card option.
6- Bigger battery.
7- Iris scan.
8- More microphones.
10- Removable battery.

1- Faster Phone.
5- 4 GB of RAM.
8- Finger print.
9- fast charging.
10- Better battery life.
14- VR.

You forgot to mention that with the 950XL you also get the worst power button placement in recorded history.

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
You forgot to mention that with the 950XL you also get the worst power button placement in recorded history.

That's actually personal opinion, and for me, the place of the power button doesn't bother me at all (I used to it). Actually, the power button location for the Idol 4S isn't good at all.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That's actually personal opinion, and for me, the place of the power button doesn't bother me at all (I used to it). Actually, the power button location for the Idol 4S isn't good at all.
I'm not the only one who thinks the button placement is awful. As for the Idol's placement, as you said, it's quite subjective. My time with the BlackBerry Priv got me used to it so it hasn't been an issue at all. In fact, I'm thrilled about it. Those who upgrade from the Priv to the DTEK60 won't miss a beat.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo