The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-27-2017 03:35 PM
99 1234
tools
    I would just like to add that yesterday, after using the phone from 8am - Midnight, I ended the day at 49%. Been seeing exceptional battery life with the phone so far.
    libra89, Sedp23, editguy and 2 others like this.
    11-15-2016 08:56 AM
    I would just like to add that yesterday, after using the phone from 8am - Midnight, I ended the day at 49%. Been seeing exceptional battery life with the phone so far.
    what kind of usage? Heavy m medium light?

Sent from mTalk
    11-15-2016 09:20 AM
    what kind of usage? Heavy m medium light?

Sent from mTalk
    Hmm...normal for me.

Emails from 3 accounts + Calendars, light FB, Twitter, Instagram usage...lots of text messages. I'm definitely not streaming video from (youtube/hulu/netflix) for hours. Some Spotify, again not a ton.

Its one of the reasons WM works for me still, I just don't use a ton of apps, etc. For the most part, I'm an office guy and the phones just sits on the desk 95% of the time.
    Last edited by dorelse; 11-15-2016 at 01:34 PM.
    Sedp23, libra89, editguy and 2 others like this.
    11-15-2016 01:23 PM
    Double tap to sleep- settings>personalization >Navigation bar
    Wow, been using Windows phone for years, learned something new today. Thanks for this.
    11-16-2016 07:38 AM
    Noticing its alot louder than my 640 XL Even through aux in my car radio the Idol is louder

Sent from mTalk
    editguy likes this.
    11-16-2016 08:34 AM
    Your welcome guys.

I am enjoying the Alcatel. I have 2 weeks to change my mind and return it with the $50 restocking fee.

This device is growing on me the more I use it . Very premium feeling and looking. Quicker and mostly smoother than my 950.

I can live without the glance screen, not a big deal to me. The fingerprint scanner is a cool feature. Better than an iris scanner I think.

Double tap to wake and 'Hey Cortana' have been more reliable on the Alcatel than on the 950 so far.

Pictures with Pro shot make a good camera even better.

I think I already know which phone will go and which will stay.
    fatclue_98, Sedp23 and libra89 like this.
    11-16-2016 05:30 PM
    Your welcome guys.

I am enjoying the Alcatel. I have 2 weeks to change my mind and return it with the $50 restocking fee.

This device is growing on me the more I use it . Very premium feeling and looking. Quicker and mostly smoother than my 950.

I can live without the glance screen, not a big deal to me. The fingerprint scanner is a cool feature. Better than an iris scanner I think.

Double tap to wake and 'Hey Cortana' have been more reliable on the Alcatel than on the 950 so far.

Pictures with Pro shot make a good camera even better.

I think I already know which phone will go and which will stay.
    I'm just so bummed about the camera. It was this or the Acer but that shooter's really got me down. I'm on the old Jump on Demand so it costs me nothing to return, but then what? Maybe a future update helps the camera the way it did with the Fierce XL. That was unusable before the AU.
    11-16-2016 05:47 PM
    Noticing its alot louder than my 640 XL Even through aux in my car radio the Idol is louder

Sent from mTalk
    Haha well it's a premium phone. I'd hope so
    11-16-2016 05:47 PM
    I'm just so bummed about the camera. It was this or the Acer but that shooter's really got me down. I'm on the old Jump on Demand so it costs me nothing to return, but then what? Maybe a future update helps the camera the way it did with the Fierce XL. That was unusable before the AU.
    I know what you mean about the camera though. Many of us Lumia phone users were/are spoiled by the best cameras on a phone mid or high end.

It looks like those days are over and we can only hope that Alcatel and other makers will make a priority out of camera tech in future devices.

fatclue_98, are you going to return the phone?

I will play around with this phone a little more and then decide by the end of the week whether to keep it or return it. So far I really like this device and it performs better than my 950, but the 950 camera admittedly is just too hard to give up that easily.
    Last edited by patcherd; 11-16-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    11-16-2016 06:34 PM
    I know what you mean about the camera though. Many of us Lumia phone users were/are spoiled by the best cameras on a phone mid or high end.

It looks like those days are over and we can only hope that Alcatel and other makers will make a priority out of camera tech in future devices.

fatclue_98, are you going to return the phone?

I will play around with this phone a little more and then decide by the end of the week whether to keep it or return it. So far I really like this device and it performs better than my 950, but the 950 camera admittedly is just too hard to give up that easily.
    I feel your pain. I'm constantly switching SIMs between the Idol and my Passport. I'm not in any rush to return this because I really like the way it looks and performs, but ughhh, that camera. It's funny, BB OS10 is supposed to be deader than Windows but at least I have BBM, PayPal, Amazon and eBay. Now that Whatsapp has been given a 6 month stay of execution on BB, I have more time to consider my options. Love my Hub, what can I say.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    11-16-2016 10:15 PM
    My only complaint on the phone. ( I like the phone quite a bit) is the CAMERA BUTTON. It's very sensitive and launches quite frequently by accident. I probably have a dozen accidental launches a day. I would love to see them do a update that changes it's functionality to only egage on a double tap of the button, I think that would solve a lot of problems.

I love the fingerprint scanner, though It's takes 1-2 failed attempts to get it a good portion of the time.
    11-17-2016 12:19 PM
    Yeah, that's annoying, although my L925 launches and takes pocket pics also.
    11-17-2016 12:51 PM
    My only complaint on the phone. ( I like the phone quite a bit) is the CAMERA BUTTON. It's very sensitive and launches quite frequently by accident. I probably have a dozen accidental launches a day. I would love to see them do a update that changes it's functionality to only egage on a double tap of the button, I think that would solve a lot of problems.

I love the fingerprint scanner, though It's takes 1-2 failed attempts to get it a good portion of the time.
    I actually wish the button was more sensitive and had pressure sensitivity. Is it launching because it gets bumped or because you're used to having that be the power button? I know I accidentally launch the camera a decent amount but its only because I'm so used to hitting that button to wake the phone up or put it to sleep.
    fatclue_98 and editguy like this.
    11-18-2016 11:07 AM
    I actually wish the button was more sensitive and had pressure sensitivity. Is it launching because it gets bumped or because you're used to having that be the power button? I know I accidentally launch the camera a decent amount but its only because I'm so used to hitting that button to wake the phone up or put it to sleep.
    I must be the only one who likes the buttons. Having had a Priv conditioned me to get used to the left handed button and I loved it from the get go. I believe muscle memory is at play like you suggested. The camera button is quite small and the profile isn't so pronounced. Particularly if you're reaching for it from behind since the chamfer is more prominent there.
    IndyJG and libra89 like this.
    11-18-2016 04:25 PM
    Put a case on it and it becomes quite touchy.
    11-18-2016 05:37 PM
    I am having an issue with talk texting. When I use the microphone and try to dictate text all I get is 'Try again '. Does anyone else experience this ?

When I get a text through my Bluetooth, Cortana will read it and I can respond through the Bluetooth. Do I have to adjust my settings ? I shouldn't have to though because talk text works fine on my 650 and 950.
    11-24-2016 08:30 PM
    These issues listed sound like software rather than the Idol. Bluetooth used to be a fort on Windows. Lately it seems like a sore spot. As for Kacchan's rotation issues, I would suggest putting it through WDRT if the firmware is out yet. It seems like the gyro may be out of whack and reverting to factory settings might provide an answer as to whether it's the sensor or software.
    libra89 and editguy like this.
    11-24-2016 10:12 PM
    These issues listed sound like software rather than the Idol. Bluetooth used to be a fort on Windows. Lately it seems like a sore spot. As for Kacchan's rotation issues, I would suggest putting it through WDRT if the firmware is out yet. It seems like the gyro may be out of whack and reverting to factory settings might provide an answer as to whether it's the sensor or software.
    I have a replacement coming in the mail. So I'm hoping maybe the new phone will be better and maybe these things with the touch sensitivity may be better
    fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    11-25-2016 12:19 AM
    The issue with the microphone for talk text seems to be working now. Weird.

I have to say I really have no need of a phone this powerful, but having the Alcatel for 11 days now it is notably the fastest Windows phone I have ever used. Even my 950 doesn't load Windows central as fast. Thanks to the Alcatel's SD820.

I also noticed I haven't had any issues lately with 'phantom' Cortana. Maybe the system is settling in I don't know, but this device has been a pleasure to use overall since day 1.
    Last edited by patcherd; 11-25-2016 at 05:08 PM.
    mark233 and editguy like this.
    11-25-2016 04:39 PM
    After using this device exclusively for the past 10 or so days I'll say that this has been the most pleasurable experience with a Windows device since I had the Lumia 925 on T-Mobile.

Windows 10 runs very smooth on this device with the Qualcom 820.
    Cell signal/reception is excellent. This device seems to have good cell antennae.
    Call quality with T-Mobile's HD Voice is outstanding ... clear ... on my end and those on the other end that I talk to.
    Wi-Fi calling works without a hitch.

Battery life is outstanding.
    Camera is a bit slow ... but more than adequate in quality. Yes it's not PureView ... but it's not horrible.
    Bluetooth connectivity with my Ford Focus ST Microsoft SYNC works great.
    The front (and rear) speakers are outstanding. Loud and clear.

The display is very good for sure ... no complaints whatsoever even in daylight.
    I'm very satisfied with this device.

I do wish this device were available carrier-free/unlocked globally. Alcatel hit a home run with this one (my opinion).
    Last edited by mark233; 12-14-2016 at 04:48 AM.
    libra89, editguy and IndyJG like this.
    11-25-2016 06:56 PM
    I do wish this device were available carrier-free/unlocked globally. Alcatel hit a home run with this one (my opinion).

Agree 100%.
    libra89, mark233, editguy and 1 others like this.
    11-25-2016 07:25 PM
    After using this device exclusively for the past 10 or so days I'll say that this has been the most pleasurable experience with a Windows device since I had the Lumia 925 on T-Mobile.

Windows 10 runs very smooth on this device with the Qualcom 820.
    Cell signal/reception is excellent. This device seems to have good cell antennae.
    Call quality with T-Mobile's HD Voice is outstanding ... clear ... on my end and those on the other end that I talk to.
    Wi-Fi calling works without a hitch.

Battery life is outstanding.
    Camera is a bit slow ... but more than adequate in quality. No it's not PureView ... but it's not bad AT ALL.
    Bluetooth connectivity with my Ford Focus ST Microsoft SYNC works great.
    The front (and rear) speakers are outstanding. Loud and clear.

The display is very good for sure ... no complaints whatsoever even in daylight.
    I'm very satisfied with this device.

Yay, I was looking forward to your thoughts! Sounds like it was worth it the wait for sure.

Agree 100%.
    From what I'm reading from you all, it really sounds like it. I also agree.
    mark233, fatclue_98 and editguy like this.
    11-25-2016 07:31 PM
    Mine's due to be delivered Monday. I'm happy to hear that the phone is satisfactory to most people thus far!
    libra89, mark233 and fatclue_98 like this.
    11-25-2016 11:47 PM
    I received mine today. I'm really impressed by the phone, including looks, build, and performance. I will give a detailed review after I've used it for a few days, but I'm already convinced that this is a quality device
    11-28-2016 11:39 PM
    Alcatel Idol 4S Detailed Review thread is ... Derailed ...
    11-29-2016 07:06 PM
99 1234