03-27-2017 03:35 PM
99 1234
tools
    It sounds like an excellent device. I hope it soon will come unlocked so I can give it a try. You know, since I'm a Windows 10 fan.

Sent from mTalk
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 11-30-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: removed unneeded quote
    mark233 likes this.
    11-29-2016 07:10 PM
    Alcatel Idol 4S Detailed Review thread is ... Derailed ...
    Yes, it certainly has.

Thread cleansed. Parts scattered to:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/alc...rned-mine.html
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/alc...-idol-4-s.html
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/alc...ilability.html
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/pho...ew-thread.html
    and even some here, http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...ment-here.html

Let's stay on Reviews of The Device this forum is labeled for.

Thanks.
    HoosierDaddy, libra89 and mark233 like this.
    11-30-2016 09:49 AM
    Here's my review:

The Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows (that's a mouthful) is a beautiful, even elegant device. Seeing it in pictures doesn't do it justice. It is the sleek device that many were hoping the Lumia 950/XL would be. I believe the fit and finish is not only equal to Nokia's Lumias, but exceeds them in quality. There are no sounds of creaking from this phone. It feels good in hand, although it is a bit slippery.
    Powering it up you find a bright, crisp screen that is readable in sunlight. I know some were disappointed that it doesn't have a QHD screen but, with the exception of the VR goggles, it's completely unnecessary here and results in better battery life.

In use the phone is responsive and apps open fluidly. In the time I've had it there have been no freezes, crashes or overheating. Having the power button on the upper left-hand side has taken a little getting used to, but I've decided that I actually prefer it there. DTTW works with a very slight delay and DTTS works flawlessly. I'm finding myself using those to wake the phone or put it to sleep more than the power switch.

Call quality is excellent, better than my Lumia. The parties on the other end report that voice is clear on their end, too. Reception is also very good. I'm getting more bars at my home location than I did with my lumias. I had read that some people thought the phone didn't have visual voice mail, but I can report that it does.

Oh those speakers! I would challenge anyone to find a phone with better speakers. It's a real pleasure to listen to music without headphones. It's a real treat hearing them on speakerphone. There's minor distortion at full volume, but that's to be expected.

Sixty-four GB storage. Check.
    Expandable memory. Check.
    Four GB ram. Check.
    The specs are excellent!

Regarding the camera: I have posted some picture samples in the Videos and Pictures thread. I'm satisfied with the pictures that the camera takes, especially since I think the camera app will improve under the Creators Update next year. I do wish the camera had OIS for video. It does have digital stabilization, but as a video professional I'm all too aware that digital stabilization is no match for optical stabilization and can actually degrade the video. For me personally, though, it's not a deal breaker because I never go to an event or take a trip without a point and shoot or DSLR If I want video I take one of my pro camcorders. The camera does a good job otherwise and is completely acceptable for casual pictures and video, although I will also use it on trips. Some have questioned the location of the camera button, but I find that I like it where it is. Regardless of one's feeling about the location, I think we can all agree that it's refreshing to see an OEM include a camera button at all. I know many reviewers have said that the camera is mediocre. Obviously those conclusions are subjective, but I would put the camera in the "Good" category. It's not at the level of the Lumia cameras (although one wonders if it could be at that level if MS would share some of that tech with OEM's), but it holds it's own.

Clearly, for some people, there are some cons. I don't think I need to talk about apps since we all know about that situation and, for me personally, I have every app I need (and if apps matter to you, maybe it's time to move to one of the other OSes). My pay checks are direct deposit and, on the occasions that I receive a check from someone, I don't find it difficult to stop by the bank. It is curious that Alcatel chose to not include NFC but, once again, that doesn't affect me because I have never used it and, unless I'm forced to, I never will. It's not that hard to pull my credit card out of my wallet. But, again, it's a shame they didn't include it for people that do want to use it. It's an odd omission. Wireless charging would also have been nice, but would it have increased the price? Finally, the non replaceable battery. I'm okay with that because the design wouldn't have been as attractive if the battery was replaceable. And, frankly, I've never needed to replace a battery. By the time it gets to that point, I'm ready for a new phone. I know some people carry spare batteries so I understand the desire to have it be replaceable, it's just not an issue for me.

Alcatel has done a fantastic job with this phone. I think they are poised to pick up where Nokia left off - IF. IF there are sufficient sales. And, sadly, that's a huge IF. If not, we may find ourselves with very little to choose from in Windows phones. With that in mind, if you've been looking for a new phone and considering the Idol 4S, and you are okay with the few missing features, don't hesitate to make the purchase. It's a gorgeous, well crafted device that is a pleasure to use (and look at)!
    11-30-2016 06:20 PM
    Your observations pretty much mirror mine. It would be nice if T-Mobile could push enough of these to generate some interest. Maybe an Idol 4S 2 with OIS and wireless charging.
    11-30-2016 06:34 PM
    Your observations pretty much mirror mine. It would be nice if T-Mobile could push enough of these to generate some interest. Maybe an Idol 4S 2 with OIS and wireless charging.
    I agree. And they've definitely left those items you mentioned on the table so it would be the perfect upgrade for 4S 2 (add NFC, too). I also hope that at some point Alcatel decides to make it available worldwide unlocked. That could also give it a boost.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    11-30-2016 06:49 PM
    The things that keep me from buying one for myself are: the camera, trays for SIM and SD, and non-removable back which translates to no user replaceable battery or alternate after-market backs. But since my 1520 also has trays and a non-removable back, those aren't absolute deal breakers. But since the 1520 is still a great phone, I'll stick with it until it dies or there is an alternative that does have a removable back. If there is none, I will buy one of these for myself and be happy with the extra speed and OLED screen. Lots of good things about it. If I didn't own a 1520 now, this is what I'd buy.
    editguy likes this.
    12-01-2016 08:08 AM
    Alcatel really just has to make this available unlocked internationally for the phone starved Lumia fans.
    editguy and mark233 like this.
    12-02-2016 08:30 AM
    What is the screen resolution of idol 4s FHD or 2K......If 2k and amoled meets it worth of price and for VR too
    12-08-2016 05:00 AM
    What is the screen resolution of idol 4s FHD or 2K......If 2k and amoled meets it worth of price and for VR too
    The Idol 4S for Android has WQHD (1440 x 2560) on a 5.5" AMOLED for 534ppi.

But the Windows version got FHD (1080 x 1920) on a 5.5" AMOLED for 400ppi.
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    12-08-2016 09:15 AM
    The Idol 4S for Android has WQHD (1440 x 2560) on a 5.5" AMOLED for 534ppi.

But the Windows version got FHD (1080 x 1920) on a 5.5" AMOLED for 400ppi.
    But, regardless of the specs, it has a beautiful screen!
    12-08-2016 11:57 AM
    But, regardless of the specs, it has a beautiful screen!
    I honestly can't tell the difference between full and quad HD. Maybe it makes a big difference for VR or on Android devices but WM10 is perfect on 1080. That's my opinion, maybe my vision isn't what it used to be.
    12-08-2016 08:12 PM
    I honestly can't tell the difference between full and quad HD. Maybe it makes a big difference for VR or on Android devices but WM10 is perfect on 1080. That's my opinion, maybe my vision isn't what it used to be.
    I agree. I don't think most people would know if they didn't know the specs, or didn't try VR with it.
    12-08-2016 08:20 PM
    Great thread! I've been eyeing this baby. The lack of QI and NFC is holding me back, but I'm hoping reading the posts here will help me have a final decision. Still saving for the HP Elite x3...that's gonna be a while...lol. This may hold me over until then.
    12-09-2016 09:22 PM
    Great thread! I've been eyeing this baby. The lack of QI and NFC is holding me back, but I'm hoping reading the posts here will help me have a final decision. Still saving for the HP Elite x3...that's gonna be a while...lol. This may hold me over until then.
    I don't think you'd be sorry. Even Continuum works well.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    12-09-2016 11:22 PM
    I don't think you'd be sorry. Even Continuum works well.
    I second that.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    12-09-2016 11:55 PM
    I heard about that Windows apps will work on phone in future? Can I expect Idol 4S in this list
    12-10-2016 11:17 AM
    I heard about that Windows apps will work on phone in future? Can I expect Idol 4S in this list
    Windows apps already run on Windows Mobile. ;)

X86 Windows apps will supposedly run on future phones with 835 and up SOCs, so the Idol will NOT run them.
    12-10-2016 02:49 PM
    Windows apps already run on Windows Mobile. ;)

X86 Windows apps will supposedly run on future phones with 835 and up SOCs, so the Idol will NOT run them.
    There are those who will refer to the video showing a SD820 in the properties of the demo phone but they fail to realize that the hardware id probably doesn't recognize the 835 so it lists it as a 820. If Microsoft and Qualcomm say it requires a 835, we shouldn't question it.
    12-10-2016 04:38 PM
    I've been using this device now for over a month. As of today I can say that (for me) this has been one of the best overall Windows devices I've used to date.

The ONLY thing that can be frustrating at times (for me) is the camera. It's slow. It's capable for sure (especially in daylight) ... one can get some decent shots with it but ... one can miss some decent shots also (no OIS). If an outstanding/responsive camera is a priority for you this device *may* not be something you'd want.

On the other hand ... this device ticks everything else I like.
    Fluid experience with W10M and the 820 processor.
    Outstanding battery life throughout the day (with my usage)
    Very strong cell reception on T-mobile...Wi-Fi calling if needed (never have needed it where I live)
    Gorgeous display
    The speakers are so good. The HTC One M8 spoilt me with front facing speakers ... and I much prefer this.
    It syncs perfectly via Bluetooth with Microsoft SYNC in my Focus ST (2013)
    Lots of onboard storage (64GB) --- no need for microSD (for me) ... I stream music ... don't take a lot of videos or pics.
    Call quality is excellent. I can hear callers with great clarity, they can hear me with great clarity on their end.

I don't have any desire to install any test preview builds because everything works so well for me. I don't want to take a chance of screwing up this device software-wise. It works for me great now --- not chancing it lol.

In my opinion I think this device would be a great one to offer globally for everyone who likes Windows mobile. I think it would do fairly well.

The camera --- like a lot of us --- are accustomed to Pureview. This device doesn't meet those expectations. However everything else hits the sweetspot for myself and I'm using it as my main device with no regrets (so far).
    Last edited by mark233; 01-05-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    12-23-2016 07:09 PM
    It's great to hear the positive experiences with the Alcatel Idol 4. I had mine for two weeks but returned it.

It was probably the best Windows phone I have ever used as far as speed goes and the least buggy in my short trial period, but I just couldn't justify having that and my 950.

I chose to stick with the 950 which has been working very well since getting it roughly two months ago and is nearly as fast and has a better camera.

The Alcatel is a winner for this platform and hope it will be available internationally.

Other then the camera ( whish has potential ) Alcatel really knocked it out of the park with this phone.

Keep the reviews coming !
    12-23-2016 08:02 PM
    I hope sales are strong enough that there is a version 2 and it has*OIS and better camera firmware/software (also NFC for those that want it). I've enjoyed this phone more than any I've*had. And it's a real pleasure listening to music on those marvelous speakers!
    Sedp23, mark233 and TgeekB like this.
    12-24-2016 12:28 AM
    the Qualcomm guy at the end of the video had it running on his elite x3. so the demo was done on the 820. I would imagine MS will use the 820 for insider testing too as the 835 wont be available for insider testing of the OS. but we will see once we start testing rs3.
    01-18-2017 06:21 PM
    I'm impressed with the 4s thus far. Quick and smooth. Beautiful screen. Fingerprint scanner works well. Well made.

Sent from mTalk
    01-18-2017 07:06 PM
    Going on 2 months now using this device. In the past couple of weeks I have gone with my 950/XL just because I have them. Great devices they are ... however ... I have decided that I like the 4s (overall) as my main daily device.

The camera isn't Pureview I know ... I know I can get better results more often with Pureview. But for me that's not a deciding factor.

The Idol 4s is just so damn smooth operating.
    The battery life on this thing is one of the main things I really appreciate. Phone comes off the charger at 7:30am --- 100% ... at 4pm that day, after heavy usage (for me) ... reading a lot of news stories, browsing thru the wonderful ReddPlanet reddit app, several text messages via built in SMS, watching a few YouTube videos via myTube! with those damn good speakers, browsing thru my pictures, streaming Slacker Radio/Groove via Bluetooth in my car to and from work ... at 4pm that day the device battery consistently has around 75% left. Not using Wi-Fi at work ... I get 2-3 bars of LTE while there. No phone calls.

I really do prefer this 4s over my 950/XL. However ... if I know I'm going to be somewhere that pictures/videos will be taken and I want to be sure I get some good shots/footage ... I'm taking my 950/XL (for OIS and 60fps). But the 4s is going to stay as my everyday go-to device. It's that good.
    Last edited by mark233; 01-26-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    TgeekB, RumoredNow, Joe920 and 4 others like this.
    01-25-2017 08:32 PM
    From what I've read here and other user reviews elsewhere it seems we all agree Alcatel knocked a 3-0 pitch into the upper deck. I'm not seeing too much regret over the lack of NFC or wireless charging which are the main differences between the 950 series and this one. The build quality, the display, performance, battery life, choice of materials and those speakers appear to be the highlights that users universally appreciate over the 950s.

But that camera.......the one glaring sore spot. If Alcatel or Microsoft can do something about it I don't see any reason not to call this a true flagship.
    editguy, libra89, TgeekB and 3 others like this.
    01-26-2017 02:25 PM
99 1234