[Real Users] My Alcatel Idol 4S Detailed Review

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think that's something that is solved with a case. Please also remember you can turn on and off your screen with double tap. You technically never need to touch that button other than for screenshots. Which now that I think of it taking screenshots will feel very weird.
Edumacate me on double tap to sleep. I haven't found that setting. I know the M8 had that option on the button area but it's eluding me on this one.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I just got the Idol 4 S about 3 hours ago. Finally! It took less than 10 minutes to download the 36 or so apps setting this device up. My 950 wasn't this fast setting up.

This is one nice device and the speakers are great. Will keep playing with this phone but so far I'm very impressed with how fast this phone set up.

I will try to report on more features the more I use this like the camera and other features.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I would just like to add that yesterday, after using the phone from 8am - Midnight, I ended the day at 49%. Been seeing exceptional battery life with the phone so far.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
what kind of usage? Heavy m medium light?

Sent from mTalk

Hmm...normal for me.

Emails from 3 accounts + Calendars, light FB, Twitter, Instagram usage...lots of text messages. I'm definitely not streaming video from (youtube/hulu/netflix) for hours. Some Spotify, again not a ton.

Its one of the reasons WM works for me still, I just don't use a ton of apps, etc. For the most part, I'm an office guy and the phones just sits on the desk 95% of the time.

Last edited:

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Your welcome guys.

I am enjoying the Alcatel. I have 2 weeks to change my mind and return it with the $50 restocking fee.

This device is growing on me the more I use it . Very premium feeling and looking. Quicker and mostly smoother than my 950.

I can live without the glance screen, not a big deal to me. The fingerprint scanner is a cool feature. Better than an iris scanner I think.

Double tap to wake and 'Hey Cortana' have been more reliable on the Alcatel than on the 950 so far.

Pictures with Pro shot make a good camera even better.

I think I already know which phone will go and which will stay.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Your welcome guys.

I am enjoying the Alcatel. I have 2 weeks to change my mind and return it with the $50 restocking fee.

This device is growing on me the more I use it . Very premium feeling and looking. Quicker and mostly smoother than my 950.

I can live without the glance screen, not a big deal to me. The fingerprint scanner is a cool feature. Better than an iris scanner I think.

Double tap to wake and 'Hey Cortana' have been more reliable on the Alcatel than on the 950 so far.

Pictures with Pro shot make a good camera even better.

I think I already know which phone will go and which will stay.
I'm just so bummed about the camera. It was this or the Acer but that shooter's really got me down. I'm on the old Jump on Demand so it costs me nothing to return, but then what? Maybe a future update helps the camera the way it did with the Fierce XL. That was unusable before the AU.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm just so bummed about the camera. It was this or the Acer but that shooter's really got me down. I'm on the old Jump on Demand so it costs me nothing to return, but then what? Maybe a future update helps the camera the way it did with the Fierce XL. That was unusable before the AU.

I know what you mean about the camera though. Many of us Lumia phone users were/are spoiled by the best cameras on a phone mid or high end.

It looks like those days are over and we can only hope that Alcatel and other makers will make a priority out of camera tech in future devices.

fatclue_98, are you going to return the phone?

I will play around with this phone a little more and then decide by the end of the week whether to keep it or return it. So far I really like this device and it performs better than my 950, but the 950 camera admittedly is just too hard to give up that easily.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I know what you mean about the camera though. Many of us Lumia phone users were/are spoiled by the best cameras on a phone mid or high end.

It looks like those days are over and we can only hope that Alcatel and other makers will make a priority out of camera tech in future devices.

fatclue_98, are you going to return the phone?

I will play around with this phone a little more and then decide by the end of the week whether to keep it or return it. So far I really like this device and it performs better than my 950, but the 950 camera admittedly is just too hard to give up that easily.
I feel your pain. I'm constantly switching SIMs between the Idol and my Passport. I'm not in any rush to return this because I really like the way it looks and performs, but ughhh, that camera. It's funny, BB OS10 is supposed to be deader than Windows but at least I have BBM, PayPal, Amazon and eBay. Now that Whatsapp has been given a 6 month stay of execution on BB, I have more time to consider my options. Love my Hub, what can I say.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

jlwaters11

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
My only complaint on the phone. ( I like the phone quite a bit) is the CAMERA BUTTON. It's very sensitive and launches quite frequently by accident. I probably have a dozen accidental launches a day. I would love to see them do a update that changes it's functionality to only egage on a double tap of the button, I think that would solve a lot of problems.

I love the fingerprint scanner, though It's takes 1-2 failed attempts to get it a good portion of the time.

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
My only complaint on the phone. ( I like the phone quite a bit) is the CAMERA BUTTON. It's very sensitive and launches quite frequently by accident. I probably have a dozen accidental launches a day. I would love to see them do a update that changes it's functionality to only egage on a double tap of the button, I think that would solve a lot of problems.

I love the fingerprint scanner, though It's takes 1-2 failed attempts to get it a good portion of the time.

I actually wish the button was more sensitive and had pressure sensitivity. Is it launching because it gets bumped or because you're used to having that be the power button? I know I accidentally launch the camera a decent amount but its only because I'm so used to hitting that button to wake the phone up or put it to sleep.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I actually wish the button was more sensitive and had pressure sensitivity. Is it launching because it gets bumped or because you're used to having that be the power button? I know I accidentally launch the camera a decent amount but its only because I'm so used to hitting that button to wake the phone up or put it to sleep.
I must be the only one who likes the buttons. Having had a Priv conditioned me to get used to the left handed button and I loved it from the get go. I believe muscle memory is at play like you suggested. The camera button is quite small and the profile isn't so pronounced. Particularly if you're reaching for it from behind since the chamfer is more prominent there.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Put a case on it and it becomes quite touchy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)