11-21-2016 08:45 PM
81 1234
tools
    I often said that if a flagship WM phone was released on Tmobile I would bite. But after selling my Android phone and using my Lumia 930 for the passed couple of months in anticipation of this phone I just couldn't do it and bought an iPhone. Using my 930 for a couple of reminded me of getting back together with my high school sweetheart. I have great memories of the time spent together but it's just not the same.

But, not to be a complete downer.

The phone looks awesome and looks awesome for the remaining die-hard WM fans. It looks like it's got a nice screen, serviceable camera, and killer processor and ram. It seems to hit all of the right check boxes.
    11-11-2016 01:40 PM
    Yea its not bad. U have to factor in the fact that the lumias took pics better than 90% of the phones on the market so Windows users can be heavily critical on the camera. From the shots ive seen this camera looks better than the elite x3

Sent from mTalk
    I think it's perfectly acceptable. I use a cell phone camera as a backup cam anyway.
    11-11-2016 01:48 PM
    Ugh this rep messed up me ordering my idol 4s
    11-11-2016 02:15 PM
    Not me because im not on stupid TMobile, the un-carrier, right.
    11-11-2016 04:06 PM
    I think it's perfectly acceptable. I use a cell phone camera as a backup cam anyway.
    I'd say it's a bit better than acceptable.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    11-11-2016 04:33 PM
    Here's a shot I took a second ago

http://i.imgur.com/VoxBAEX.jpg

Going to take a few random shots outside later on today when I leave out. I think it's a pretty capable camera

Sent from mTalk
    How would you compare it to the 640 camera?
    11-11-2016 05:13 PM
    Ugh, why no NFC or Qi??? Well, I know why, because of the glass/metal back, but still...if had those two things it would be the perfect phone and I'd ditch the 950XL. To anyone who's bought it, have you tried it with Continuum? That is my major use case going forward for WM10 and I feel the newer SoC on the Alcatel compared to the 950XL would help with that.
    11-11-2016 05:19 PM
    Got impatient went to the store and picked one up. I'll return the online order when it arrives. What a nice phone!
    11-11-2016 05:50 PM
    Ugh, why no NFC or Qi??? Well, I know why, because of the glass/metal back, but still...if had those two things it would be the perfect phone and I'd ditch the 950XL. To anyone who's bought it, have you tried it with Continuum? That is my major use case going forward for WM10 and I feel the newer SoC on the Alcatel compared to the 950XL would help with that.
    Dude Samsung phones have the same materials and they have those features. I'd guess it was all about keeping the cost low to offer good value.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    11-11-2016 06:01 PM
    Picked up my unit yesterday. I was a little worried about moving away from a Nokia device, but the Idol 4S is nice. I had to call a few stores before finding one with the phone in stock. When I got there I was pleasantly surprised to find out the staff had just finished setting up a display with the Idol 4s and VR headset. The staff who set up the phone was a smartphone enthusiast but wasn't very familiar with windows phone when I came to the details. He said the only thing holding him back from getting the phone was the lack of apps. Other than that he was very impressed with the phone. I've been setting up the phone and playing with features all day. It was pulled off the charger at 9am and currently shows 27% battery. I'm happy with my purchase so far.
    11-11-2016 06:57 PM
    Got it yesterday. Love it more than any Lumia and the elite x3.
    11-11-2016 07:18 PM
    Continuum works as well if not better than the 950. As for NFC, the BlackBerry DTEK60 is essentially the same device and it has the feature. I'm sure cost cutting was the deciding factor.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    11-11-2016 07:27 PM
    After two days of usage I will say. This phone is not without its problems. I've had it restart on me about 3 times since purchase.
    And right now, after getting home from work, it was having trouble connecting to my wifi. So I swiped the lockscreen off to turn it off, before turning it back on.
    But I guess I should have turned Wifi off altogether because its been saying "Goodbye" for the last 15 minutes.
    11-11-2016 08:59 PM
    How is the call quality? Or am I the only one that still uses a phone for calls? :-)
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    11-11-2016 11:55 PM
    How would you compare it to the 640 camera?
    I like it better so far better flash and camera button helps take steadier pics for me

Sent from mTalk
    ttsoldier likes this.
    11-12-2016 12:05 AM
    If someone starts a pics taken with the idol 4s thread I'll sticky it ...
    Sedp23, libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-12-2016 12:16 AM
    After two days of usage I will say. This phone is not without its problems. I've had it restart on me about 3 times since purchase.
    And right now, after getting home from work, it was having trouble connecting to my wifi. So I swiped the lockscreen off to turn it off, before turning it back on.
    But I guess I should have turned Wifi off altogether because its been saying "Goodbye" for the last 15 minutes.
    It wouldn't hurt to swap it out for about unit. I've had no issues with wifi or restarts.

I have had issues with the aux cord in my wife's car. The phone won't recognize Wifey of the two cords I have, but headphones work just fine. I'm not sure if it's the phone or another issue somewhere else.
    11-12-2016 12:56 AM
    Originally posted by Beast of Haeven
    Originally Posted by eddieDOTexe
    It wouldn't hurt to swap it out for about unit. I've had no issues with wifi or restarts.

I have had issues with the aux cord in my wife's car. The phone won't recognize Wifey of the two cords I have, but headphones work just fine. I'm not sure if it's the phone or another issue somewhere else.
    Hey i had aux cord problems too! Haven't tried with headphones but in my car I had to unplug and replug a few times for it to recognize the jack being plugged in and turn off the speaker.
    Second time only got noise from 1 channel.

Third time seems to be a charm.

I left home after my last post, my mic stopped working until I restarted.. Again.

I just got home and had to restart it again because my cellular data wouldn't download anything despite everything indicating it was on.

Is stuff like this just me?
    11-12-2016 01:03 AM
    Hey i had aux cord problems too! Haven't tried with headphones but in my car I had to unplug and replug a few times for it to recognize the jack being plugged in and turn off the speaker.

I left home after my last post, my mic stopped working until I restarted.. Again.

I just got home and had to restart it again because my cellular data wouldn't download anything despite everything indicating it was on.

Haven't had any of those issues yet did u guys update to .448?

Sent from mTalk
    11-12-2016 01:07 AM
    Originally posted by Sedp23

Haven't had any of those issues yet did u guys update to .448?

Sent from mTalk
    Yup. Immediately out of the box.
    11-12-2016 01:09 AM
    Ordered mine on the 10th, still waiting for it to ship.
    11-12-2016 02:04 AM
    Only issues I had initially when I bought it and tried update it something went wrong after it downloaded the update it restarted and was stuck on the goodbye screen for 10 or so minutes until I soft reset, it wouldn't install and said something went wrong so I did a hard reset and after that I updated it and no problems since

Sent from mTalk
    11-12-2016 06:59 AM
    Ordered mine on the 10th, still waiting for it to ship.
    Did you choose overnight
    11-12-2016 10:29 AM
    Originally posted by Sedp23
    Only issues I had initially when I bought it and tried update it something went wrong after it downloaded the update it restarted and was stuck on the goodbye screen for 10 or so minutes until I soft reset, it wouldn't install and said something went wrong so I did a hard reset and after that I updated it and no problems since

Sent from mTalk
    I had the same problem but I didn't have to soft reset. It just installed it without issues the second time.
    Sedp23 and fatclue_98 like this.
    11-12-2016 12:04 PM
    Thank you, everyone, for all the good information.
    RumoredNow and fatclue_98 like this.
    11-13-2016 11:32 AM
81 1234