My purchase experience as ATT customer

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
But what about the people who are not from the US and who want the phone and will not consider coming to T-Mobile.

Me for example, I will be in the us this week and all I wanted was to pay the full price, get the phone, request an unlock, and leave.

Why must that be so difficult.
I don't disagree with you, but I guess when you get down to it carriers aren't really in the business for the purpose of selling phones. They want to sell services. Even the "Uncarrier".

swbf2lord

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I don't disagree with you, but I guess when you get down to it carriers aren't really in the business for the purpose of selling phones. They want to sell services. Even the "Uncarrier".

This is pretty true. I'm completely biased, and believe we offer the best option, but we don't run a business that doesn't look out for its own self-interest. No one does, or, if they do, they aren't in business for long.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
This is pretty true. I'm completely biased, and believe we offer the best option, but we don't run a business that doesn't look out for its own self-interest. No one does, or, if they do, they aren't in business for long.
And, it makes sense when you understand that services are where they make their profit. I've been with T-Mobile for twelve years because they have provided me with good service and reasonable prices. I understand that, if they are going to continue to do that, they have to make a profit as does any business. I also appreciate that they have shaken up the business and forced their competitors to make changes which have been beneficial to consumers on all carriers.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
But what about the people who are not from the US and who want the phone and will not consider coming to T-Mobile.

Me for example, I will be in the us this week and all I wanted was to pay the full price, get the phone, request an unlock, and leave.

Why must that be so difficult.
It's just business. They make peanuts on phones. The money is in the ongoing service. The phones are locked to make sure they get a few months of service fees at a minimum (you can't buy just 40 days) and they hope you stay longer which many will if they have good signal where they live, work and play.

And its the customers who buy phones from carriers that perpetuate this because that business model allows carriers to demand exclusive rights to many phones. It won't change until more people refuse or resist buying phones from carriers which is a lot like buying your car from a gas station.

Lets hope T-Mobile doesn't have an exclusive for very long. Obviously Alcatel would LOVE to sell these to people regardless of carrier.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
The blame here lies with the OP. Have some solid information on what you are buying before spending $500. Buy an unlocked phone that works anywhere or be ready for the potential problems of a carrier locked device. An expensive lesson learned.

Blame lies with the rep for misleading the customer actually.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Blame lies with the rep for misleading the customer actually.

Please tell me why a person working in a T-Mobile store could be expected do care one bit about a customer taking a phone to AT&T? I don't think AT&T will send him a survey asking "How was your experience?" There will be little or no help from either side. But it is something we all can learn from and hopefully not make the same mistake.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Please tell me why a person working in a T-Mobile store could be expected do care one bit about a customer taking a phone to AT&T? I don't think AT&T will send him a survey asking "How was your experience?" There will be little or no help from either side. But it is something we all can learn from and hopefully not make the same mistake.

Because they get credit for the sale?

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I can do is wait. I reactivated my old tmobile account for $3 a month to get the clock rolling. I have 2 lines on ATT so I'm considering just switching one over for just the first month and upgrading that plan to unlimited call and texting only. I'll be going on vacation soon and I wont actually need the data on that line, and wifi calling will work just fine for the few calls I do actually make.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
This will likely be my last post on this topic because I want to clarify the price. At this particular store (franchise, not official tmobile). The price is only $469.99 if you finance/stay on tmobile for 24 months. Simply buying the device outright with or without a plan $499.99. See actual advertised price
IMG_20161115_163145.jpg

rruffman07

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
If you can come to grips with paying 569 vs 469 for the phone TMobile will unlock your phone right away, you just need to pay the 469 and 2 months of the $50 prepay plan upfront and they will unlock it within 24hrs...I would assume you could either use the service or sell the sim to someone for 100 or 75 or what ever you can get...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't matter how much you like the phone, best advice is to NEVER buy a carrier locked phone unless you intend to use that carrier, especially in the US. They will happily sell you the phone but do their hardest to stop you from unlocking it and taking it to use elsewhere. Save yourself the stress and just don't buy locked phones in the first place.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter how much you like the phone, best advice is to NEVER buy a carrier locked phone unless you intend to use that carrier, especially in the US. They will happily sell you the phone but do their hardest to stop you from unlocking it and taking it to use elsewhere. Save yourself the stress and just don't buy locked phones in the first place.

I would if this was an option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss