My purchase experience as ATT customer

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I would if this was an option.
With a GSM carrier, there will always be options. I'm not suggesting someone should sacrifice for the "cause", but I doubt carrier exclusive phones will become a thing of the past as long as most of us feel there isn't an option. Carrier exclusive phones are pretty few and far between in other markets. If enough of us buy non-carrier phones whenever its not TOO painful, eventually they will dry up. But it will take some pain. The key is to not feel we must have a specific item, when there are alternatives. Every time someone buys a carrier exclusive phone, they are VOTING to continue the process. Yeah, its just one vote, so none of us bear a huge responsibility, but those votes add up.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would if this was an option.

Of course there is an option, you don't actually have to buy this phone. There is no reason why anyone would be so desperate to buy the phone now that they would willingly buy it when its locked to a different network that's known to have spotty support for the platform. It will either be sold in other parts of the world in a few months or an equivalent (or better), more accessible device will come along.

Over the last few years I have used the best WP devices (Lumia 920, 1020 and 1520.3) and it was on Tmobile where they were never officially carried. I'm using a Lumia 1520.3 in the US right now and wouldn't buy the Alcatel for any reason, especially when you consider how Tmobile has abandoned phones after only a few months. So no, I don't see a reason why anyone would buy this locked to Tmo, its just not worth it in the end.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Of course there is an option, you don't actually have to buy this phone. There is no reason why anyone would be so desperate to buy the phone now that they would willingly buy it when its locked to a different network that's known to have spotty support for the platform. It will either be sold in other parts of the world in a few months or an equivalent (or better), more accessible device will come along.

Over the last few years I have used the best WP devices (Lumia 920, 1020 and 1520.3) and it was on Tmobile where they were never officially carried. I'm using a Lumia 1520.3 in the US right now and wouldn't buy the Alcatel for any reason, especially when you consider how Tmobile has abandoned phones after only a few months. So no, I don't see a reason why anyone would buy this locked to Tmo, its just not worth it in the end.

Think you got it wrong. What I meant was if the phone was selling unlocked somewhere like through Microsoft store, I would buy it. As it is now, I can't. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I will keep chugging along with my 640 until it is sold unlocked elsewhere or another phone comes along

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Of course there is an option, you don't actually have to buy this phone. There is no reason why anyone would be so desperate to buy the phone now that they would willingly buy it when its locked to a different network that's known to have spotty support for the platform. It will either be sold in other parts of the world in a few months or an equivalent (or better), more accessible device will come along. Over the last few years I have used the best WP devices (Lumia 920, 1020 and 1520.3) and it was on Tmobile where they were never officially carried. I'm using a Lumia 1520.3 in the US right now and wouldn't buy the Alcatel for any reason, especially when you consider how Tmobile has abandoned phones after only a few months. So no, I don't see a reason why anyone would buy this locked to Tmo, its just not worth it in the end.
I'm on t-mobile, and I was happy to buy it locked to the network. Why? Wi-Fi calling. Something my unlocked 950 doesn't have and will never get. Very much worth it for me.Obviously, for someone not on t-mobile, it makes no sense...(unless wi-fi calling would work on any carrier)

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I understand where you are coming from but you have to remember that as Windows Mobile/Phone users, there aren't many options at this point in time. The Idol 4s seems like an amazing phone, and additionally, it seems to fit in with the 950s, but doesn't have the price tag of the Elite x3. We do not know if it will be sold or not unlocked, even though that would be great.

rruffman07

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter how much you like the phone, best advice is to NEVER buy a carrier locked phone unless you intend to use that carrier, especially in the US. They will happily sell you the phone but do their hardest to stop you from unlocking it and taking it to use elsewhere. Save yourself the stress and just don't buy locked phones in the first place.
Actually it was very easy to have tmobile unlock this phone, it only requires 2 things which are not an issue, 1 the phone must be outside of the return policy (14 days) and 2. you have to be willing to pay an additional 100 for the phone (569 vs 469) however you are getting something for the 100 2 months of prepay service, you can 1 use the service or 2 sell the sim to someone. this is all that is required to unlock the phone... the phone is well worth the 569 you would pay even if you did nothing with the service..

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Actually it was very easy to have tmobile unlock this phone, it only requires 2 things which are not an issue, 1 the phone must be outside of the return policy (14 days) and 2. you have to be willing to pay an additional 100 for the phone (569 vs 469) however you are getting something for the 100 2 months of prepay service, you can 1 use the service or 2 sell the sim to someone. this is all that is required to unlock the phone... the phone is well worth the 569 you would pay even if you did nothing with the service..
So if I am understanding you correctly, do you mention that you want it to be unlocked out the gate or no?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's the same thing last year when att got the 950 and us T-Mobile customers were left with nothing

Sent from mTalk

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm officially unlocked and back on ATT. It's good to be back, and to finally have service at my moms house and around town etc!

[edit] I've been driving around town for the last few hours doing errands. However even though I have 3 or full bars and 3g, I actually get zero data. I've rebooted my phone several times. So basically I can only talk and text. I did have data for a very short while while I was driving (in car mode). I was texting my sister, cortana read the text to me asked for me to reply after she asked what I wanted to say she said i can't connect right now try again in a little bit. Since then I haven't been able to use data once.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's the same thing last year when att got the 950 and us T-Mobile customers were left with nothing
Wut? I bought 950XLs for my wife and I to use on T-Mobile around Thanksgiving 2015. I returned both because WM10 was so bad at the time. Bought another one this week and am using it on T-Mobile.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wut? I bought 950XLs for my wife and I to use on T-Mobile around Thanksgiving 2015. I returned both because WM10 was so bad at the time. Bought another one this week and am using it on T-Mobile.
I think he means having carrier options. The only way to get a new flagship on T-Mobile was to buy outright while people on AT&T didn't have to do that unless they wanted the bigger phone.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Sent from mTalk
Don't remind me. The Lumia 900,920, 1020, 1520, HTC Titan/II, and Samsung Focus all went to AT&T as exclusives and I bought four of those devices I just mentioned unlocked before I decided that I had enough with Microsoft's distribution of Windows Phone especially when the competition was available on my carrier without having to pay the outright cost of the phone. Windows Phone needed as much support from all carriers as possible and that's one of the reasons I think it fell to such low market share as it is right now. That and the app situation not changing for years.

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Also got mine unlocked. 40 days after purchase, to the day. So far it works well on AT&T. I searched for AT&T apn Windows 10 and found all the info I needed to enter. LTE works just fine. No issues with data.
I am disappointed that neither Fitbit nor Sensie pick up any motion data from this device.
Otherwise, I'm enjoying it.
El Mono

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The 950 was at the time exclusive to att the only other way was to buy unlocked (expensive at the time)

Sent from Idol 4s with Windows

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Bought this after work yesterday. At first the guy said he couldn't sell it to me without a plan. I told him I wanted to buy it outright so I could use it on ATT. He said they could but they'd have to charge me an extra $30 extortion fee. I agreed.

I didn't actually open it for a couple of hours but by the time I did I realized I needed a new sim because it requires nano sim.

Went to ATT to get a new sim and the phone was carrier locked. I went back to TMobile talked to the same guy I bought it from, he said they can't unlock it only Alcatel could. He asked if I wanted the number so I could call or if I wanted him to do it. Well since my old sim was already deactivated I asked him to do it for me, however by this time it was 8pm they were just closing and Alcatel was already closed too.

So 12 hours later I called Alcatel and they said they can't unlock it because they nave nothing to do with carrier/network unlocking and they insist that I contact tmobile. They said if tmobile insist Alcatel is responsiblem that we could conference call and Alcatel would tell them they can't do it.

So I called TMobile and spoke to someone with a horrible headset that kept cutting out unless they spoke really loud... but even though I told them to speak up because of the issue they had a hard time doing so. Ultimately they insist that they can only network unlock the phone if I have a plan. And that I have to go back to the store.

Needless to say, I'm not happy about TMobile and their employees lack of knowledge concerning unlocking policies and practices.

My local TMobile doesn't open until 10am so I have to wait.

I'll update you when I'm able to drive down on my lunch break.

That's funny, I've had the exact same experience trying to get a phone unlocked by AT&T to use on T-Mobile.

rruffman07

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Also got mine unlocked. 40 days after purchase, to the day. So far it works well on AT&T. I searched for AT&T apn Windows 10 and found all the info I needed to enter. LTE works just fine. No issues with data.
I am disappointed that neither Fitbit nor Sensie pick up any motion data from this device.
Otherwise, I'm enjoying it.
El Mono
did you get your MMS working? can you receive MMS? if so can you put a link to where you found the apn settings? I*am having an issue with*receiving MMS I can send them but not receive them.. think I have a setting wrong somewhere...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss