06-29-2017 04:07 PM
310 ... 910111213
tools
    Hi guys; been gone from this forum for a while; taking pics with my 950 xl is everything i had hoped for. Amazing Camera!! Absolutely no disappointments whatsoever; noticeable upgrade from the IDOL 4S camera. Still miss the feel and build of the IDOL 4S handset though; question: have you had any firmware updates for the camera? I notice that the HP x3 has had at least 3 different firmware updates, with at least one being for the camera. Anything with the 4S?
    I'd be really (pleasantly) surprised if there is ever a firmware update for the camera. I would also add that the X3 has had firmware updates to address issues with the phone. I'm not aware of any widespread issues with the Idol 4S that would require a firmware update. I'm still very satisfied with the phone but wouldn't mind a firmware update that moved the camera into the "wow" territory.
    Sedp23, fatclue_98 and RumoredNow like this.
    03-28-2017 12:36 AM
    I'd be really (pleasantly) surprised if there is ever a firmware update for the camera. I would also add that the X3 has had firmware updates to address issues with the phone. I'm not aware of any widespread issues with the Idol 4S that would require a firmware update. I'm still very satisfied with the phone but wouldn't mind a firmware update that moved the camera into the "wow" territory.
    I don't know that firmware is the problem. The same sensor takes very nice shots on the BB DTEK60. With one glaring exception, the Windows camera app simply doesn't play nice with non-Lumia phones. That one exception was the One M8 which blew the Android version away. It wasn't a showstopper but it was markedly better.

If I was the type to wear tin-foil hats I'd say MS is keeping the Idol and x3 "in its place" on the imaging front to shine again with the Surface Unicorn. After all, apps and the general user experience being the same it would need something to differentiate itself from the herd. No, I didn't forget my meds today.
    03-28-2017 10:30 AM
    I don't know that firmware is the problem. The same sensor takes very nice shots on the BB DTEK60. With one glaring exception, the Windows camera app simply doesn't play nice with non-Lumia phones. That one exception was the One M8 which blew the Android version away. It wasn't a showstopper but it was markedly better.

If I was the type to wear tin-foil hats I'd say MS is keeping the Idol and x3 "in its place" on the imaging front to shine again with the Surface Unicorn. After all, apps and the general user experience being the same it would need something to differentiate itself from the herd. No, I didn't forget my meds today.
    I agree. It's the only thing that explains MS not lending a helping hand. I was just hopeful there was something they could do through firmware that would make it easier to get good shots without having to go manual. I've never thought it involved the sensor because that would mean that we would never get good shots.
    RumoredNow, fatclue_98 and mark233 like this.
    03-28-2017 01:05 PM
    Some nice photos taken recently in here. Seems to be getting slightly better? Great stuff guys!
    03-28-2017 02:10 PM
    I see here very nice pics indeed, didn't know this smartphone could take such nice pictures...

Cheers
    mark233, RumoredNow and fatclue_98 like this.
    03-29-2017 02:46 PM
    the idol is good but it has it draw back, just wish the camera took pictures faster
    04-03-2017 10:51 AM
    the idol is good but it has it draw back, just wish the camera took pictures faster
    Are you saving pics to SD card? If so, try internal.
    04-03-2017 10:58 AM
    This is with the latest update that just came in. I'm on 14393 so maybe Insiders have this version already. I'm impressed with the sharpness even at full zoom.

wp_20170404_17_38_11_pro.jpg
    04-04-2017 04:55 PM
    Don't know what happened with the upload but it's screwy with the orientation and the zoom is waaaaay off. Trust me, it looks awesome on my phone and PC. ^^

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    RumoredNow, libra89 and editguy like this.
    04-04-2017 04:57 PM
    This is with the latest update that just came in. I'm on 14393 so maybe Insiders have this version already. I'm impressed with the sharpness even at full zoom.
    That looks really crisp. I'm looking forward to the update!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-04-2017 07:37 PM
    Hey photo friends. You may want to check the thread out here to enable Capture Living Images.
    editguy, mark233 and RumoredNow like this.
    04-06-2017 08:06 PM
    Stripped, holes welded up, and ready for primer and bodywork. Standard camera app fully auto and no HDR.
    wp_20170406_14_59_57_pro.jpg
    04-06-2017 08:27 PM
    The pics are ok in daylight I think the main problem is the Windows camera honestly

Sent from Idol 4s
    04-08-2017 12:58 PM
    The pics are ok in daylight I think the main problem is the Windows camera honestly
    IMHO the main problem is no firmware sitting between the lens and the Camera App(s).

Check your exif and camera is Qcomm AA. The SoC is controlling the camera. This is a lazy/easy way out I would expect on a budget phone, not some of the best hardware on the platform. There are no camera drivers.
    editguy, Nate W, Sedp23 and 1 others like this.
    04-08-2017 03:02 PM
    IMHO the main problem is no firmware sitting between the lens and the Camera App(s).

Check your exif and camera is Qcomm AA. The SoC is controlling the camera. This is a lazy/easy way out I would expect on a budget phone, not some of the best hardware on the platform. There are no camera drivers.
    Agreed, and seeing some of the nice pics that have been posted here leads me to believe the camera on this phone could be on par with the Lumias if Alcatel put in the effort to develop firmware. Sadly, Alcatel would have had higher sales of this phone if the camera had been excellent.
    04-08-2017 04:17 PM
    Agreed, and seeing some of the nice pics that have been posted here leads me to believe the camera on this phone could be on par with the Lumias if Alcatel put in the effort to develop firmware. Sadly, Alcatel would have had higher sales of this phone if the camera had been excellent.
    They might have no expertise from there end to do it...yet. Or may never. I have called Alcatel support many times on the W10M model IDOL and they have no clue what a FW update is or understand what I am talking about. I was simply wanting to know from the point of release besides 1yr HW how many years of FW support could they offer if any. Crickets.
    04-08-2017 04:37 PM
    They might have no expertise from there end to do it...yet. Or may never. I have called Alcatel support many times on the W10M model IDOL and they have no clue what a FW update is or understand what I am talking about. I was simply wanting to know from the point of release besides 1yr HW how many years of FW support could they offer if any. Crickets.
    I would like to see the exif from a DTEK60 photo. Users claim to have excellent images and DxO rates it very well. Surely our camera isn't what this report alludes to so there's some laziness involved as @RumoredNow suggests.

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/TCL-...os-nice-camera!
    04-08-2017 05:18 PM
    I would like to see the exif from a DTEK60 photo. Users claim to have excellent images and DxO rates it very well. Surely our camera isn't what this report alludes to so there's some laziness involved as @RumoredNow suggests.

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/TCL-...os-nice-camera!
    I'm getting a 404 when I click on that link.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-08-2017 07:09 PM
    Well, then they need to contract it out. They obviously know how to build a nice phone and it's a shame that one component is keeping it from being outstanding.
    mark233 and RumoredNow like this.
    04-08-2017 07:11 PM
    Well, then they need to contract it out. They obviously know how to build a nice phone and it's a shame that one component is keeping it from being outstanding.
    Yep. Cranking in the dough on volume and saving money on dev support.
    RumoredNow and editguy like this.
    04-08-2017 08:03 PM
    Yep. Cranking in the dough on volume and saving money on dev support.
    Not sure any company making a windows phone can claim they are "cranking in the dough on volume." I'm just glad they made a windows phone period.

I did some research on this camera and found that it's supposed to use a Sony sensor, the same one reviewed here From the sample pictures displayed in the link, the camera looks much more capable than suggested by the photos taken by the Idol 4s Windows Camera app. However, with literally one click on the computer, you can process the images so much nicer it looks like a totally different camera.

I've been thinking about getting this phone actually. Do you know if the Windows Camera app allows you to save a raw image? I know Proshot allows it.
    greedo_greedy likes this.
    04-11-2017 01:48 AM
    Not sure any company making a windows phone can claim they are "cranking in the dough on volume." I'm just glad they made a windows phone period.

I did some research on this camera and found that it's supposed to use a Sony sensor, the same one reviewed here From the sample pictures displayed in the link, the camera looks much more capable than suggested by the photos taken by the Idol 4s Windows Camera app. However, with literally one click on the computer, you can process the images so much nicer it looks like a totally different camera.

I've been thinking about getting this phone actually. Do you know if the Windows Camera app allows you to save a raw image? I know Proshot allows it.
    Very true but not sure how high Alcatel's volume is...yet considering they are the only consumer directed phone released since 2016 says something.

The Windows Camera for the Idol 4s does not save to RAW (DNG) by default. I did however find a way to enable that option via regedit. But it does not seem to save it even though the option is able to be selected. I think I know how to get it to work though. So to answer your question, right out of the box it does not.
    libra89, RumoredNow and editguy like this.
    04-11-2017 02:29 AM
    The Windows Camera for the Idol 4s does not save to RAW (DNG) by default. I did however find a way to enable that option via regedit. But it does not seem to save it even though the option is able to be selected. I think I know how to get it to work though.
    Would be great if you get it to work and post how.
    RumoredNow and editguy like this.
    04-11-2017 08:44 AM
    Microsoft Camera, post processed through Polarr for crop to 16:10, remove all saturation, clarity/sharpness/denoise luminance all at +20

polarr_16to10_0saturate_20clarity_20sharpen_20denoiseluminance.jpg
    libra89 likes this.
    04-21-2017 09:16 AM
    Can someone list the Best, Better, Good, Bad camera apps for Windows 10 Mobile please?

I can add only a few, and am not familiar enough to know how they all compare to the default Windows Camera app.

OneShot - I did not care for this one, but will rate it Good
    1Shot Camera -
    ProShot -

thanks.
    04-21-2017 11:41 AM
310 ... 910111213