The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-24-2018 05:28 AM
328 12345 ...
tools
    I forgot how great Lumia cameras are. Extreme low light: 950 XL vs Idol 4s

removed corrupted pics

Sent from mTalk
    Last edited by g808; 11-15-2016 at 08:22 PM.
    11-15-2016 08:05 PM
    I don't find any differences between the two pictures and both are in bad quality, for example, look at the trash, can you read what it says on it? Or look at the car parked in the front of you your house, can you read the what is on the license plate? Also, the sharpness are very low in both pictures.
    The RAV4 across the street is a good 150' away so reading the tag would be a stretch for any phone camera. Now look at the light behind the Toyota and it blew the sensor in the Windows shot significantly more. Closer to home, the Pro Shot image has the Sunshine State on the bottom of the tag legible as well as the CTS nomenclature on the corner of the trunk. No such luck with the Windows picture.

Beyond the picking of nits regarding the sharpness, the one thing no one noticed is the haze pervading the Windows shot. I was worried about the imaging quality of this phone well before its release based on previous experience with an Alcatel phone. As RumoredNow mentioned, Windows camera algorithms don't seem to be optimized on non-Microsoft phones. The BlackBerry DTEK60 is fundamentally identical to this one, save for the display resolution, and takes much better and sharper pictures with the same equipment. Getting a little impatient, I require good imaging prowess.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    RumoredNow, libra89 and editguy like this.
    11-15-2016 08:28 PM
    They don't look that much different
    I don't find any differences between the two pictures...
    Que?

I opened them full size in separate browser tabs and made some snips.

Side by side, first Windows Camera and then ProShot. Let's see...

<WinCam ProShot>
    wincam.001.pngproshot.001.png

<WinCam ProShot>
    wincam.002.pngproshot.002.png

<WinCam ProShot>
    wincam.003.pngproshot.003.png

<WinCam ProShot>
    wincam.004.png proshot.004.png

<WinCam ProShot>
    wincam.005.png proshot.005.png

Maybe it is just me, but I see a marked difference.
    libra89, fatclue_98 and editguy like this.
    11-15-2016 08:52 PM
    All HDR MS Camera shots

11-15-2016 08:56 PM

Yes, I 100% agree. If you look at different areas of the pics there is more detail and better contrast in the Proshot photos.
    libra89, RumoredNow and fatclue_98 like this.
    11-15-2016 11:18 PM
    img_20161116.jpg
    Que?

Same scene but with Chamber of Commerce weather and taken with my BB Passport (a less than well-received shooter). Miami, we have a problem.
    Last edited by fatclue_98; 11-16-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-16-2016 04:20 PM
    What color is your Cadillac? In the Idol 4s pic it looked mettalic gray. In this pic it has a greenish cast. Otherwise, this pic shows more detail than the others but, since you said it's a chamber of commerce day, I assume this is in better light?
    11-16-2016 05:09 PM
    What color is your Cadillac? In the Idol 4s pic it looked mettalic gray. In this pic it has a greenish cast. Otherwise, this pic shows more detail than the others but, since you said it's a chamber of commerce day, I assume this is in better light?
    It's green. Like an Olive green. As for light, I'd say it's about the same. Just because it was raining yesterday doesn't affect the amount of light hitting the sensor. Maybe I'm just used to this s**t-hole but a rainy day like that will get you some serious sunburn if you're out long enough.
    Last edited by fatclue_98; 11-16-2016 at 05:40 PM.
    11-16-2016 05:25 PM
    Que?

<WinCam ProShot>
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinCam.001.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	132067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProShot.001.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	132062

<WinCam ProShot>

Name:	WinCam.002.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	132068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProShot.002.png 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	132063

<WinCam ProShot>

Name:	WinCam.003.png 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	132069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProShot.003.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	132064

<WinCam ProShot>

Name:	WinCam.004.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	132070 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProShot.004.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	132065

<WinCam ProShot>

Name:	WinCam.005.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	132071 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProShot.005.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	132066

Still bad quality, I can't even read any words on the license plate or even on the trash! I can see that Lumia 1020 and even Lumia 950 XL could take more way better picture than Idol 4S.
    11-17-2016 12:55 AM
    Still bad quality, I can't even read any words on the license plate or even on the trash! I can see that Lumia 1020 and even Lumia 950 XL could take more way better picture than Idol 4S.
    I haven't read anyone arguing that the camera was on par with the 950/XL. If the camera is the most important aspect of a cell phone for you or anyone else, this probably isn't the cell phone for you or them. There are other aspects of this phone that are superior to the 950/XL. All cell phones have compromises.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-17-2016 11:53 AM
    I wasn't touting the quality level, just highlighting that there does seem to be a difference between Microsoft Camera and ProShot when some said they were the same.

If the snips still look identical between the two apps to everyone else when viewed side by side, please let me know and I'll bump up my annual appointment with my eye doctor.
    libra89 and editguy like this.
    11-17-2016 12:10 PM
    I wasn't touting the quality level, just highlighting that there does seem to be a difference between Microsoft Camera and ProShot when some said they were the same.

If the snips still look identical between the two apps to everyone else when viewed side by side, please let me know and I'll bump up my annual appointment with my eye doctor.
    No, it's so not just you! I wear glasses and I saw the difference immediately. (Even my little 550 gets a nice bump from ProShot)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-17-2016 12:30 PM
    That wasn't the purpose of the post. It's no secret that the Idol's camera is inferior, RumoredNow's post was to illustrate a definable difference between the stock app and Pro Shot. Come to think of it, that's the same reason I took the pictures in the first place and then re-took the same scene from another phone.

Nobody in their right mind would think this phone's camera is in a Lumia's ball park. Shoot, if the Lumia is the Majors, this Alcatel is Fall Instructional League.

libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-17-2016 03:10 PM
    Coming from the Lumia 640, are Living Images and Dynamic HDR Lumia exclusives or should the Idol 4s be able to do these?
    11-17-2016 03:12 PM
    I checked the Alcatel for living images in the camera apps setting and it is not there.

The Alcatel does have HDR
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-17-2016 03:48 PM
    I checked the Alcatel for living images in the camera apps setting and it is not there.

The Alcatel does have HDR
    And the HDR is a bit quicker than any Lumia. Hey, it's gotta have something going for it right?

libra89, RumoredNow and Sedp23 like this.
    11-17-2016 04:04 PM
    And the HDR is a bit quicker than any Lumia. Hey, it's gotta have something going for it right?

fatclue_98, so do you think the pros outweigh the cons of this phone ?

I may return the device. It seems I am having bluetooth issues now. It was working yesterday, but today I had a call and I answered through my Bluetooth with no sound .

I will give it another try though. I just want to make sure I'm not the one in error. Actually as I am typing this with my Bluetooth connected it is hit and miss with keyboard tap sounds.

Overall though I am enjoying the speed and fluidity of how this device performs.
    11-17-2016 04:46 PM
    fatclue_98, so do you think the pros outweigh the cons of this phone ?

I may return the device. It seems I am having bluetooth issues now. It was working yesterday, but today I had a call and I answered through my Bluetooth with no sound .

I will give it another try though. I just want to make sure I'm not the one in error. Actually as I am typing this with my Bluetooth connected it is hit and miss with keyboard tap sounds.

Overall though I am enjoying the speed and fluidity of how this device performs.
    It's not so much whether the pros outweigh the cons, it's which cons are stepping harder on the scales. In all, there are more pros to this phone. It's the minority flaws that keep nagging at me and making the decision to keep it harder than it should. We all know about the camera, this poor horse has gotten the crap kicked out of it enough.

The other issues are a product of the OS and shouldn't be an indictment of the phone. Example, I too am having the same Bluetooth problems I've always had with WP. Notifications get silenced when connected to my car stereo and/or my Band 2. I've never been able to find a solution. Cloud printing was great on 8.1 but since KumoPrint 2.0 was released, its been more miss than hit. The app gap is not even worth mentioning but it's there.

I'll say this, if my Band 2 synced incoming notifications properly on my Passport this would be an empty post.
    RumoredNow and Sedp23 like this.
    11-17-2016 05:26 PM
    That wasn't the purpose of the post. It's no secret that the Idol's camera is inferior, RumoredNow's post was to illustrate a definable difference between the stock app and Pro Shot. Come to think of it, that's the same reason I took the pictures in the first place and then re-took the same scene from another phone.

Nobody in their right mind would think this phone's camera is in a Lumia's ball park. Shoot, if the Lumia is the Majors, this Alcatel is Fall Instructional League.

Lol but I'll take this phone over the lumias tho

Sent from mTalk
    fatclue_98 and editguy like this.
    11-17-2016 09:16 PM
    What color is your Cadillac?
    It has to be Silver Green Metallic.
    11-18-2016 07:16 AM
    As Ed McMahon would say, "You are correct sir". Paint code 816K (base coat)
    11-18-2016 02:39 PM
    Well that would explain the looks under different lighting conditions.
    11-18-2016 03:10 PM
    Well that would explain the looks under different lighting conditions.
    That would be true to a certain degree but let's not beat around the bush, the camera on this phone is a disappointment. If you look at samples taken by the DTEK60 (identical except for the display resolution) you'll see it's not the phone, its the software. Pro Shot helps a bit, but not by a great margin.

Truly frustrating because this is, in my humblest of opinions, the most complete Windows 10 phone we can have right now. The 950 series has the superior imaging, no doubt, but when you factor everything else this phone offers it's not really a contest.

By that I mean CPU, RAM, build quality, the sounds. Oh those speakers, they're worth the price of admission by themselves. But most of all, the value, when you compare the initial pricing of the 950s.

Such a damned shame. "I coulda been a contender".
    editguy and Sedp23 like this.
    11-18-2016 04:14 PM
    Did the unthinkable and went scorched earth with this. Got on the Fast Ring to 14395.1001 and most of the apps immediately updated (I checked for updates prior to make sure I was current). Windows Camera was on the list so I waited. Everything was on auto except shutter speed (1/20) and took some indoor shots. We're close, very close. Colors were very accurate and details improved markedly. Zooming in still reveals some softness but I can live with that. Macros still look sharp and CamScanner is better than my Passport. Pro Shot didn't take to the update well and white balance is all over the place.

I'm not recommending what I did but there's really no harm. WDRT is always there just in case. There are known issues with language packs so read up on this if you're intrigued.

editguy, RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    11-19-2016 12:04 AM
    Did the unthinkable and went scorched earth with this. Got on the Fast Ring to 14395.1001 and most of the apps immediately updated (I checked for updates prior to make sure I was current). Windows Camera was on the list so I waited. Everything was on auto except shutter speed (1/20) and took some indoor shots. We're close, very close. Colors were very accurate and details improved markedly. Zooming in still reveals some softness but I can live with that. Macros still look sharp and CamScanner is better than my Passport. Pro Shot didn't take to the update well and white balance is all over the place.

I'm not recommending what I did but there's really no harm. WDRT is always there just in case. There are known issues with language packs so read up on this if you're intrigued.

This is encouraging. Perhaps the Creators update will put the camera in the good category.
    11-19-2016 12:35 AM
328 12345 ...