Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

Still bad quality, I can't even read any words on the license plate or even on the trash! I can see that Lumia 1020 and even Lumia 950 XL could take more way better picture than Idol 4S.

I wasn't touting the quality level, just highlighting that there does seem to be a difference between Microsoft Camera and ProShot when some said they were the same.

If the snips still look identical between the two apps to everyone else when viewed side by side, please let me know and I'll bump up my annual appointment with my eye doctor.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I wasn't touting the quality level, just highlighting that there does seem to be a difference between Microsoft Camera and ProShot when some said they were the same.

If the snips still look identical between the two apps to everyone else when viewed side by side, please let me know and I'll bump up my annual appointment with my eye doctor.

No, it's so not just you! I wear glasses and I saw the difference immediately. (Even my little 550 gets a nice bump from ProShot)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Still bad quality, I can't even read any words on the license plate or even on the trash! I can see that Lumia 1020 and even Lumia 950 XL could take more way better picture than Idol 4S.
That wasn't the purpose of the post. It's no secret that the Idol's camera is inferior, RumoredNow's post was to illustrate a definable difference between the stock app and Pro Shot. Come to think of it, that's the same reason I took the pictures in the first place and then re-took the same scene from another phone.

Nobody in their right mind would think this phone's camera is in a Lumia's ball park. Shoot, if the Lumia is the Majors, this Alcatel is Fall Instructional League.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

trianglepop

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

Coming from the Lumia 640, are Living Images and Dynamic HDR Lumia exclusives or should the Idol 4s be able to do these?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I checked the Alcatel for living images in the camera apps setting and it is not there.

The Alcatel does have HDR
And the HDR is a bit quicker than any Lumia. Hey, it's gotta have something going for it right?

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
And the HDR is a bit quicker than any Lumia. Hey, it's gotta have something going for it right?

fatclue_98, so do you think the pros outweigh the cons of this phone ?

I may return the device. It seems I am having bluetooth issues now. It was working yesterday, but today I had a call and I answered through my Bluetooth with no sound .

I will give it another try though. I just want to make sure I'm not the one in error. Actually as I am typing this with my Bluetooth connected it is hit and miss with keyboard tap sounds.

Overall though I am enjoying the speed and fluidity of how this device performs.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
fatclue_98, so do you think the pros outweigh the cons of this phone ?

I may return the device. It seems I am having bluetooth issues now. It was working yesterday, but today I had a call and I answered through my Bluetooth with no sound .

I will give it another try though. I just want to make sure I'm not the one in error. Actually as I am typing this with my Bluetooth connected it is hit and miss with keyboard tap sounds.

Overall though I am enjoying the speed and fluidity of how this device performs.

It's not so much whether the pros outweigh the cons, it's which cons are stepping harder on the scales. In all, there are more pros to this phone. It's the minority flaws that keep nagging at me and making the decision to keep it harder than it should. We all know about the camera, this poor horse has gotten the crap kicked out of it enough.

The other issues are a product of the OS and shouldn't be an indictment of the phone. Example, I too am having the same Bluetooth problems I've always had with WP. Notifications get silenced when connected to my car stereo and/or my Band 2. I've never been able to find a solution. Cloud printing was great on 8.1 but since KumoPrint 2.0 was released, it?s been more miss than hit. The app gap is not even worth mentioning but it's there.

I'll say this, if my Band 2 synced incoming notifications properly on my Passport this would be an empty post.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

That wasn't the purpose of the post. It's no secret that the Idol's camera is inferior, RumoredNow's post was to illustrate a definable difference between the stock app and Pro Shot. Come to think of it, that's the same reason I took the pictures in the first place and then re-took the same scene from another phone.

Nobody in their right mind would think this phone's camera is in a Lumia's ball park. Shoot, if the Lumia is the Majors, this Alcatel is Fall Instructional League.

Lol but I'll take this phone over the lumias tho

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well that would explain the looks under different lighting conditions.
That would be true to a certain degree but let's not beat around the bush, the camera on this phone is a disappointment. If you look at samples taken by the DTEK60 (identical except for the display resolution) you'll see it's not the phone, it?s the software. Pro Shot helps a bit, but not by a great margin.

Truly frustrating because this is, in my humblest of opinions, the most complete Windows 10 phone we can have right now. The 950 series has the superior imaging, no doubt, but when you factor everything else this phone offers it's not really a contest.

By that I mean CPU, RAM, build quality, the sounds. Oh those speakers, they're worth the price of admission by themselves. But most of all, the value, when you compare the initial pricing of the 950s.

Such a damned shame. "I coulda been a contender".

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Did the unthinkable and went scorched earth with this. Got on the Fast Ring to 14395.1001 and most of the apps immediately updated (I checked for updates prior to make sure I was current). Windows Camera was on the list so I waited. Everything was on auto except shutter speed (1/20) and took some indoor shots. We're close, very close. Colors were very accurate and details improved markedly. Zooming in still reveals some softness but I can live with that. Macros still look sharp and CamScanner is better than my Passport. Pro Shot didn't take to the update well and white balance is all over the place.

I'm not recommending what I did but there's really no harm. WDRT is always there just in case. There are known issues with language packs so read up on this if you're intrigued.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Did the unthinkable and went scorched earth with this. Got on the Fast Ring to 14395.1001 and most of the apps immediately updated (I checked for updates prior to make sure I was current). Windows Camera was on the list so I waited. Everything was on auto except shutter speed (1/20) and took some indoor shots. We're close, very close. Colors were very accurate and details improved markedly. Zooming in still reveals some softness but I can live with that. Macros still look sharp and CamScanner is better than my Passport. Pro Shot didn't take to the update well and white balance is all over the place.

I'm not recommending what I did but there's really no harm. WDRT is always there just in case. There are known issues with language packs so read up on this if you're intrigued.

This is encouraging. Perhaps the Creators update will put the camera in the good category.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

Glad to hear the camera is much better with fast ring. Something to look forward to.

I'm going to have to wait though. I'm not taking a chance as I have no experience with WDRT if things don't work out.

Other than the camera this phone is quickly becoming the best Windows phone I have used yet.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, the proof's in the pudding. This was shot this morning for comparison to the earlier pictures showing what the updates did. This is with Windows Camera and all set to auto except I changed the focus to infinity. The difference in detail is nothing short of amazing. If you zoom in you can clearly see the expiration sticker on my tag. The rocks in the shadows under the car aren't soft and the ones in the sunlight aren't blown out (for the most part). Zooming in on the Hummer you can read the lettering on the tire, if you look through the windshield you can see the blue Accord very well. The reflection of the CTS is plain as day on the Hummer and the trunk of the Caddy shows reflections of the house.

Just a few days ago I was about to throw this phone through T-Mobile's front window but I couldn't give up that easily. Oh, I almost forgot, since going on the Fast Ring update, Facebook is slow to load but hasn't crashed once. Continuum is running much cooler and Cortana isn't chiming in unannounced. I'm sure there are some bugs crawling around but I haven't seen them yet.

K1MdcKv.jpg

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Ok, the proof's in the pudding. This was shot this morning for comparison to the earlier pictures showing what the updates did. This is with Windows Camera and all set to auto except I changed the focus to infinity. The difference in detail is nothing short of amazing. If you zoom in you can clearly see the expiration sticker on my tag. The rocks in the shadows under the car aren't soft and the ones in the sunlight aren't blown out (for the most part). Zooming in on the Hummer you can read the lettering on the tire, if you look through the windshield you can see the blue Accord very well. The reflection of the CTS is plain as day on the Hummer and the trunk of the Caddy shows reflections of the house.

Just a few days ago I was about to throw this phone through T-Mobile's front window but I couldn't give up that easily. Oh, I almost forgot, since going on the Fast Ring update, Facebook is slow to load but hasn't crashed once. Continuum is running much cooler and Cortana isn't chiming in unannounced. I'm sure there are some bugs crawling around but I haven't seen them yet.

That is amazing! It's almost like a completely different camera! I can't wait to get mine. I feel very comfortable with the purchase after seeing this. The camera was my only hesitation becasue I care nothing about NFC or any other missing features. I'm glad you didn't give up. Thanks for posting this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb