Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

If successive camera app updates continually improve the imaging it's fair to say the hardware isn't the issue. I was one of the release date buyers and I've noticed the improvement firsthand. The softness has been drastically improved but white balance is still a problem.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that CamScanner on this phone is remarkably better than my 6S+.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'll leave it alone after this... But the more I zoom in to that pic the more impressed I am.

Capture01.png

Note that you can clearly distinguish the lights are lit on the farthest poles despite being washed in a very bright backlight. Check the discernible branches on the hedge, the amount of detail and reflection highlights on the shadowed vehicles with little direct lightsource and the visibility of the white parking slot stripes from a distance that is measured at 736.59 feet on Google Maps.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone had this problem with the IDOL 4S? I was getting this over and over on my Lumia 650. It's a problem between the camera/photo/sd card. Happens when i take a pic, then want to look at it, then go back to using the camera. The interplay gets all bogged down; the camera freezes; then the phone locks up and i have to force shut-down. I thought this was happening because of the lack of 650 RAM (only 1GB). Now...sadly, this happened today with my new phone:( Wow...even with 3.5 G, and reformatting my SD card from scratch).
wp_ss_20170217_0001.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a problem between the camera/photo/sd card.

For whatever reason... Since the debut of W10M the camera and SD card have never played well together.

Now I just default to saving Pics and Vidz to internal. Then periodically I move them to PC, keep what I want, edit, etc. Any I want back on the phone go into SD after the fact...

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone had this problem with the IDOL 4S? I was getting this over and over on my Lumia 650. It's a problem between the camera/photo/sd card. Happens when i take a pic, then want to look at it, then go back to using the camera. The interplay gets all bogged down; the camera freezes; then the phone locks up and i have to force shut-down. I thought this was happening because of the lack of 650 RAM (only 1GB). Now...sadly, this happened today with my new phone:( Wow...even with 3.5 G, and reformatting my SD card from scratch).
View attachment 133948

I get it all of the time on my Lumia 640. If you say yes it doesn't correct anything. It still keeps coming up.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Machining on an engine lathe. Auto ... no edits ... lighting is a mixture of ceiling LED's, fluorescent lamps on the machine.
View attachment 133977

I appreciate the sharpness improvements as shown by the shavings. As I've mentioned before, white balance remains a problem. The rags and the pendant lights are blown out. Fix that WB and our beloved redheaded stepchild becomes a force to contend with.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate the sharpness improvements as shown by the shavings. As I've mentioned before, white balance remains a problem. The rags and the pendant lights are blown out. Fix that WB and our beloved redheaded stepchild becomes a force to contend with.

I agree, and it's really a killer for video.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I get it all of the time on my Lumia 640. If you say yes it doesn't correct anything. It still keeps coming up.

Oh my....now i'm getting more error messages from the photo/camera apps:
wp_ss_20170218_0001.png
wp_ss_20170218_0002.jpg

I'm just having the worst time with this phone's camera/photo performance. I really like everything else about this phone; it is awesome. But I can't believe the bad luck i'm having taking and editing pictures:unhappysweat:

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Try manually setting White Balance... Maybe "Sunny" would be best since the issue is compensating for all the reflected light off the snow.

It seems like this camera has the most problems when the light is 'high overcast'. When editguy shot his car video, he had direct sunlight. Look at this video and see how the camera is 'fighting itself' to get the correct exposure.

When i'm giving my students skiing lessons, i don't have time to tell them to 'stop and freeze' so that i can mess around with manual camera settings on my phone. I want to pull out my phone, hit the dedicated camera button (which is love!), and quickly 'point and shot' a couple of pics/vids; then the phone's back in my pocket, and we're on our way....

I took the same video using my old ATIV SE and the same OS build and the same Microsoft camera app:
https://youtu.be/X55OS9zvKDg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Ok....this is the last time i complain about the camera...i promise;) Compare the IDOL pic with my old ATIV SE

IDOL
WP_20170219_18_49_53_Pro.jpg

ATIV SE
WP_20170219_18_54_31_Pro.jpg

Look at the the detail in the bag of greens. The ATIV is much more detailed. Look at the washed out white backing tile. The IDOL has trouble with the white balance and focus. I know i'm being picky, but i've been spoiled with phones with great cameras, and the IDOL is having trouble keeping up....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is the best I've been able to get in low light. Used Pro Shot all auto except for RAW sensor input and 4:3 aspect ratio. I thought for sure the flash would blow out the whatever those are but I was pleasantly surprised.

8VtqTXl.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

For comparison's sake, I turned on the lights and used the stock camera app full auto and my 6S+. Just so you know, the colors are way off on the iPhone even though they may look "more pleasing". Quick note, the wall color is near dead-nuts accurate on the Pro Shot above.

Stock
TakQCoE.jpg

iPhone
yemjhC4.jpg

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok....this is the last time i complain about the camera...i promise;) Compare the IDOL pic with my old ATIV SE

Look at the the detail in the bag of greens. The ATIV is much more detailed. Look at the washed out white backing tile. The IDOL has trouble with the white balance and focus. I know i'm being picky, but i've been spoiled with phones with great cameras, and the IDOL is having trouble keeping up....

No to quibble... OK maybe I am quibbling.

Can you repeat using the same framing?

The Idol 4S is held just a but higher up the side of the wall. You can see the light source under the cabinet above impinging on the lens...
Capture01.png

Not so with the ATIV SE where the top of the frame is down just a bit...
Capture02.png

In my experience just that small amount of tilt away from a strong light source can make a big difference with the same camera. In such lighting situations I have seen the white balance change greatly on screen and in the final pics with just a small change in tilt.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
It seems like this camera has the most problems when the light is 'high overcast'. When editguy shot his car video, he had direct sunlight. Look at this video and see how the camera is 'fighting itself' to get the correct exposure.
It should be overcast here in the morning. If it is, I'll get out and see what I come up with.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Okay, here's a quick overcast video using the standard camera app, all auto settings except for focus being set to infinity (no HDR).
If you haven't done so already, I think you should reinstall using WDRT. If that doesn't correct your problem, I think it must be hardware related.

https://youtu.be/WaoRQC5VcZg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo