Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Originally taken with ProShot as RAW to TIFF.

I converted straight to JPG with Fotor, but the file is too large for this forum so I reduced it to 75% with Office Picture Manager.

tiff to.jpg

While I was in Fotor, I also applied the Cloudy filter (it was heavily overcast when I took the shot). Also too large so reduced to 70% with Pic Mngr.

tiff to.jpg

Then I took the straight JPG conversion over to Polarr. Cropped 5:4, Exposure +12, Vibrance/Saturation/Sharpness all +22.

tiff to.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A couple of turtle shots from Camera360 Sight.

Sight_2017_03_11_202452_392.jpgSight_2017_03_11_202508_549.jpg

Yesterday I found a unicorn!!!! :shocked:

tiff.jpg

ProShot RAW > TIFF, converted to JPG and reduced size for forum.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up the Idol 4s this weekend. Has been testing out all the features and today the camera. I shot these using Windows Camera without any alteration. Some may have been 'auto adjusted' by Photos app. The photos turned out pretty similar with my 950. The panorama I must say is much better than 950. I managed to get them done in one sweep and their stitching is good too! On 950, panorama usually takes a few attempts and there are some stitching issue.WP_20170312_15_00_03_Panorama.jpgView attachment WP_20170312_14_58_07_Pro.jpgWP_20170312_15_05_07_Panorama.jpgView attachment WP_20170312_15_02_25_Pro.jpgView attachment WP_20170312_16_01_25_Pro.jpgView attachment WP_20170312_17_00_20_Pro.jpgView attachment WP_20170312_16_58_50_Pro.jpg

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So far........
*Battery life is unchanged.
*Camera is obviously improved.
*Continuum is flaky when used wirelessly (wired works perfectly). The issue is that it doesn't disconnect unless you physically remove the wireless adapter from the monitor. But when you go to Settings>Devices, it still shows connected and not even a reset changes this. I had to remove the adapter from the list but it's not a real issue because I use an HDMI cable anyway.
*Do not use after the update until you've made sure the Store app is updated. It makes the apps unresponsive (big time).
*WiFi is spotty but I'm not discounting Xfinity just yet because my PCs have been quirky since yesterday too. Timing might be a coincidence.

Other than those few quirks, it seems a little quicker loading apps. Facebook notwithstanding ugh!!!! The new settings layout is really welcome and we now have the option to reset individual apps (clearing of cache). This is not new for me since BlackBerry OS10 has had this for some time. I'll give it a few days to settle and wait for more app updates before rendering a final verdict. Right now, all seems to be pointing upward.

I am interested in the Alcatel Idol 4s. You mentioned that the camera was significantly improved with an insider build update; does that mean that with the upcoming "creator's update" for windows 10 mobile, that the camera performance is likely to improve as well? How do you think the camera now compares to the 950 then?

I currently don't have a Win 10 phone, but am I correct in understanding that certain apps like Proshot can save a raw file to be edited later on a computer? And can use the phone as a USB drive to more easily remove the files? My last experience is on an HTC Radar (7.5) which I actually still sometimes use.

Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I currently don't have a Win 10 phone, but am I correct in understanding that certain apps like Proshot can save a raw file to be edited later on a computer? And can use the phone as a USB drive to more easily remove the files? My last experience is on an HTC Radar (7.5) which I actually still sometimes use.

The new for W10M ProShot App (named just Proshot, where the old WP 8.1 App has been redubbed ProShot Classic) has a feature where you can select capture (sensor) mode and save (file) mode. The new ProShot is UWP as well. It also feature "Light Painting" settings which it never had in 8.1.

You can capture as RAW at the sensor and save as TIFF for a file. I find that there is a lot of "editability" in the TIFF files and they are satisfyingly large (indicating they have a wealth of data). You can also capture as JPG and file as JPG. So RAW > TIFF, RAW > JPG, JPG > TIFF and JPG > JPG are your possible combinations.

Have a look here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41321715

Additionally, I find file browsing when connected to PC a pleasure. It just works. If you have a W10 PC you can use Cortana to xfer the last picture in Camera Roll easily. Open Cortana on the phone and tell her "Send this picture to my computer" and it just sends it over.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I took these first two the other day...

Microsoft Camera, auto settings.

WP_20170318_07_10_17_Pro.jpg

I zoomed in all the way for this. Ran it through Polarr and bumped up Vibrance +32, Saturation +34. Then I denoised Luminance and Color by 60 each. -37 Expose and +41 Brightness. Closer to what my eye saw...

WP_Pro_Polarr.jpg

Took this today with Camera360 Sight.

Sight_2017_03_20_143136_056.jpg

Here it is all-in with "SuperCell" filter in Sight. I know I've said it before: I love the filter pack in Sight.

Sight_2017_03_20_153525_075.jpg

I'm also finding out that Camera360 Sight crashes if I try and edit with filters and the pic is stored on SD. Works if they are in Internal Storage.

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The new for W10M ProShot App (named just Proshot, where the old WP 8.1 App has been redubbed ProShot Classic) has a feature where you can select capture (sensor) mode and save (ile) mode. The new ProShot is UWP as well. It also feature "Light Painting" settings which it never had in 8.1.

You can capture as RAW at the sensor and save as TIFF for a file. I find that there is a lot of "editability" in the TIFF files and they are satisfyingly large (indicating they have a wealth of data). You can also capture as JPG and file as JPG. So RAW > TIFF, RAW > JPG, JPG > TIFF and JPG > JPG are your possible combinations.

Have a look here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41321715

Additionally, I find file browsing when connected to PC a pleasure. It just works. If you have a W10 PC you can use Cortana to xfer the last picture in Camera Roll easily. Open Cortana on the phone and tell her "Send this picture to my computer" and it just sends it over.

Thanks for the info!

I'm familiar with raw formats on cameras, but this raw->jpg, jpg->tiff is a little confusing. Why save a jpg as tiff? Why not just raw->tiff? Because on the former you're just saving an image file that's already been compressed as a tiff file, so you start off losing info right from the start. And I don't know what to make of raw --> jpg and jpg-->jpg; sensor data is always raw and it has to be converted to jpg.

I like your photos. Can you do me a favor? Take a picture of something in the distance (kind of like the first image in the series your provided below) and save it as a tiff file. Then take the same picture using Microsoft camera. I'd like to download it to play around with it if you don't mind.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like your photos. Can you do me a favor? Take a picture of something in the distance (kind of like the first image in the series your provided below) and save it as a tiff file. Then take the same picture using Microsoft camera. I'd like to download it to play around with it if you don't mind.

Thanks.

I'll try and capture something tomorrow, it's gotten a bit dark here now. I can upload a zip file here, I think.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep, you're good! Especially considering that you're not a Chevy guy! :grin:
Chevys may not be my first choice but I'm a car guy through and through. I've always said the best engine ever was the Chrysler Slant-6 with the Chevy 350 a not so distant second.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Chevys may not be my first choice but I'm a car guy through and through. I've always said the best engine ever was the Chrysler Slant-6 with the Chevy 350 a not so distant second.

Yeah, me too. I enjoy all kinds of cars. The slant six was an interesting engine. There are still a lot of them going so it had to be a pretty good engine.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@Snoops8 sorry it took me a couple of days. The weather has been pretty carp here lately and thus, the light isn't so hot.

Took 2 series. Each is labeled 01 or 02 for a header. Microsoft Camera, Camera360 Sight and ProShot running through the variations of RAW/JPG sensor and TIFF/JPG file.

The pics look near identical, the biggest difference is the file sizes which means more or less data for your post shot edits of course.

The compressed folder is still too large to upload here so I have hosted it on OneDrive in an uncompressed format.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkvY2_b6DBA3i-03Ls01MeZ4lJN1PA

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
@Snoops8 sorry it took me a couple of days. The weather has been pretty carp here lately and thus, the light isn't so hot.

Took 2 series. Each is labeled 01 or 02 for a header. Microsoft Camera, Camera360 Sight and ProShot running through the variations of RAW/JPG sensor and TIFF/JPG file.

The pics look near identical, the biggest difference is the file sizes which means more or less data for your post shot edits of course.

The compressed folder is still too large to upload here so I have hosted it on OneDrive in an uncompressed format.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkvY2_b6DBA3i-03Ls01MeZ4lJN1PA

Thanks so much! That's perfect. I'm going to play with it a little bit, but so far, that's quite the difference between Windows Camera and Proshot. You wouldn't have thought it was from the same camera.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Some people think carp is garbage fish and has too many bones, but I like the flavor. :grin:
My grandmother gave me this recipe for carp:

Clean the carp and nail it to a piece of pine wood and cover with pineapple slices. Broil until golden brown. Remove the carp from the pine wood and eat it (the pine wood).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb