Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

The pics are ok in daylight I think the main problem is the Windows camera honestly
Jt6fmAM.jpg

Hozg2Kb.jpg

Sent from Idol 4s

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The pics are ok in daylight I think the main problem is the Windows camera honestly

IMHO the main problem is no firmware sitting between the lens and the Camera App(s).

Check your exif and camera is Qcomm AA. The SoC is controlling the camera. This is a lazy/easy way out I would expect on a budget phone, not some of the best hardware on the platform. There are no camera drivers.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

IMHO the main problem is no firmware sitting between the lens and the Camera App(s).

Check your exif and camera is Qcomm AA. The SoC is controlling the camera. This is a lazy/easy way out I would expect on a budget phone, not some of the best hardware on the platform. There are no camera drivers.

Agreed, and seeing some of the nice pics that have been posted here leads me to believe the camera on this phone could be on par with the Lumias if Alcatel put in the effort to develop firmware. Sadly, Alcatel would have had higher sales of this phone if the camera had been excellent.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Agreed, and seeing some of the nice pics that have been posted here leads me to believe the camera on this phone could be on par with the Lumias if Alcatel put in the effort to develop firmware. Sadly, Alcatel would have had higher sales of this phone if the camera had been excellent.
They might have no expertise from there end to do it...yet. Or may never. I have called Alcatel support many times on the W10M model IDOL and they have no clue what a FW update is or understand what I am talking about. I was simply wanting to know from the point of release besides 1yr HW how many years of FW support could they offer if any. Crickets.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

They might have no expertise from there end to do it...yet. Or may never. I have called Alcatel support many times on the W10M model IDOL and they have no clue what a FW update is or understand what I am talking about. I was simply wanting to know from the point of release besides 1yr HW how many years of FW support could they offer if any. Crickets.

I would like to see the exif from a DTEK60 photo. Users claim to have excellent images and DxO rates it very well. Surely our camera isn't what this report alludes to so there's some laziness involved as @RumoredNow suggests.

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/TCL-950-Mobile-review-Nice-photos-nice-videos-nice-camera!

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Well, then they need to contract it out. :smile: They obviously know how to build a nice phone and it's a shame that one component is keeping it from being outstanding.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Well, then they need to contract it out. :smile: They obviously know how to build a nice phone and it's a shame that one component is keeping it from being outstanding.
Yep. Cranking in the dough on volume and saving money on dev support.

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yep. Cranking in the dough on volume and saving money on dev support.

Not sure any company making a windows phone can claim they are "cranking in the dough on volume." I'm just glad they made a windows phone period.

I did some research on this camera and found that it's supposed to use a Sony sensor, the same one reviewed here From the sample pictures displayed in the link, the camera looks much more capable than suggested by the photos taken by the Idol 4s Windows Camera app. However, with literally one click on the computer, you can process the images so much nicer it looks like a totally different camera.

I've been thinking about getting this phone actually. Do you know if the Windows Camera app allows you to save a raw image? I know Proshot allows it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Not sure any company making a windows phone can claim they are "cranking in the dough on volume." I'm just glad they made a windows phone period.

I did some research on this camera and found that it's supposed to use a Sony sensor, the same one reviewed here From the sample pictures displayed in the link, the camera looks much more capable than suggested by the photos taken by the Idol 4s Windows Camera app. However, with literally one click on the computer, you can process the images so much nicer it looks like a totally different camera.

I've been thinking about getting this phone actually. Do you know if the Windows Camera app allows you to save a raw image? I know Proshot allows it.

Very true but not sure how high Alcatel's volume is...yet considering they are the only consumer directed phone released since 2016 says something.

The Windows Camera for the Idol 4s does not save to RAW (DNG) by default. I did however find a way to enable that option via regedit. But it does not seem to save it even though the option is able to be selected. I think I know how to get it to work though. So to answer your question, right out of the box it does not.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

The Windows Camera for the Idol 4s does not save to RAW (DNG) by default. I did however find a way to enable that option via regedit. But it does not seem to save it even though the option is able to be selected. I think I know how to get it to work though.
Would be great if you get it to work and post how.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Camera, post processed through Polarr for crop to 16:10, remove all saturation, clarity/sharpness/denoise luminance all at +20

Polarr_16to10_0saturate_20clarity_20sharpen_20denoiseluminance.jpg

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Can someone list the Best, Better, Good, Bad camera apps for Windows 10 Mobile please?

I can add only a few, and am not familiar enough to know how they all compare to the default Windows Camera app.

OneShot - I did not care for this one, but will rate it Good
1Shot Camera -
ProShot -

thanks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can someone list the Best, Better, Good, Bad camera apps for Windows 10 Mobile please?

I can add only a few, and am not familiar enough to know how they all compare to the default Windows Camera app.

1Shot Camera -
ProShot -

thanks.

Alternate Apps seem to have the wrong idea of the sensor size and only capture 9.88MP. At least the two I rely on...

Other than that I always use Camera360 Sight for fast capture and the excellent Filter Packs included. ProShot for greatest amount of granular settings. I also like the effects in Sketch Camera quite a lot, although I don't play with it as much as I used to. Blink for capturing action sequences and Intellicam for voice trigger... These are the ones I keep pinned to my Start Screen.

I'm sure someone else will have their own list and reasons.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

1Shot Camera -
ProShot -

thanks.

Yeah OneShot is just too slow for me to actually consider using, especially if my patience is shot (pun not intended xd). I really like ProShot a lot and I'll generally put it in the Better category. I use it because sometimes the photo does turn out better.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Alternate Apps seem to have the wrong idea of the sensor size and only capture 9.88MP. At least the two I rely on...

Other than that I always use Camera360 Sight for fast capture and the excellent Filter Packs included. ProShot for greatest amount of granular settings. I also like the effects in Sketch Camera quite a lot, although I don't play with it as much as I used to. Blink for capturing action sequences and Intellicam for voice trigger... These are the ones I keep pinned to my Start Screen.

I'm sure someone else will have their own list and reasons.

Can you paste a screen shot of proshot while using the manual options to show what you mean? Also does it on the IDOL4s offer Auto HDR?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99