What issues have you run into with this phone so far?

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to get an idea of common issues and not-so-common issues with this phone. Still debating on an exchange or waiting out firmware updates.

After two days of usage I will say. This phone is not without its problems. I've had it restart on me about 3 times since purchase.
And right now, after getting home from work, it was having trouble connecting to my wifi. So I swiped the lockscreen off to turn it off, before turning it back on.
But I guess I should have turned Wifi off altogether because its been saying "Goodbye" for the last 15 minutes.

Hey i had aux cord problems too! Haven't tried with headphones but in my car I had to unplug and replug a few times for it to recognize the jack being plugged in and turn off the speaker.
Second time only got noise from 1 channel.

Third time seems to be a charm.

I left home after my last post, my mic stopped working until I restarted.. Again.

I just got home and had to restart it again because my cellular data wouldn't download anything despite everything indicating it was on.

Is stuff like this just me?

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit it...I had my first Spotify app crash today. Never had it on the 950...it says 'Unable to start music'.

The fingerprint reader is touchy.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
  • Phone has rebooted twice when trying to login with finger print reader.
  • Crashed once during boot requiring long press of power button to turn off
  • Because the finger print sensor is so flush, I am often locking myself out of hello because of failed finger print reads, requiring pin to unlock.
  • Not sure if phone specific or windows problem. But custom file for alarm plays too quietly. Playing the same file in groove or as alarm on android and its extremely loud.
  • Issues charging on surface pro 3 mentioned here http://forums.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s/445023-potential-charging-issue.html

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The issue I've had with the phone is the head phone jack that was mentioned before. The phone recognizes my headphones on the first plug 8/10 of the time, but it never recognizes my aux cord in the car. I've tried two different aux cords but a brand new third could do the trick...I hope.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
The issue I've had with the phone is the head phone jack that was mentioned before. The phone recognizes my headphones on the first plug 8/10 of the time, but it never recognizes my aux cord in the car. I've tried two different aux cords but a brand new third could do the trick...I hope.
Let us know. That's important to me. I'm setting Friday as the day that I'll buy it, so any info I can get before then will help me with my final decision.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Huh...I've had 1 time where it my car only played out of 1 speaker requiring me to unplug/plug headphone jack. I'll keep using it and see if that continues.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
The issue I notice with this device is that Cortana has been starting up randomly as I am using the device.

I thought I might have accidently activated her.

It has happened several times today. So I don't know what up. I'm on the latest update and other than that this phone is great.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Let us know. That's important to me. I'm setting Friday as the day that I'll buy it, so any info I can get before then will help me with my final decision.

I didn't plan on buying one until next week. I'll be out tomorrow though so I'll buy another and report back tomorrow night if people are interested.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The issue I notice with this device is that Cortana has been starting up randomly as I am using the device. I thought I might have accidently activated her. It has happened several times today. So I don't know what up. I'm on the latest update and other than that this phone is great.
Funny you brought up the ghost Cortana issue. I thought it was just me and the other loud Cubans in my house that were tripping up Cortana.

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I have an issue with controlling the brightness. The quick toggle button will only allow automatic or low brightness and the display settings will not let me change from low brightness (when I select another brightness nothing happens and it doesn't save when I leave the menu). I am not sure if this is a bug introduced in 14393.448 or if it is just isolated to me. Is anyone else having this issue with their phone on the latest production build?

Last edited:

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
WiFi calling not working at all. I have literally zero service (zero bars) at work and thought I could rely on wifi in order to call text. When I try to dial I don't see any mention of wifi calling ad it just simply says call failed and No service. Text messages wont send or receive.

My office wifi is really strong and while I am sharing this connection with lots of other devices I'm pulling plenty of bandwidth

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
WiFi calling not working at all. I have literally zero service (zero bars) at work and thought I could rely on wifi in order to call text. When I try to dial I don't see any mention of wifi calling ad it just simply says call failed and No service. Text messages wont send or receive.

My office wifi is really strong and while I am sharing this connection with lots of other devices I'm pulling plenty of bandwidth

I had this issue years ago. TMo Wi-Fi calling requires at least some semblance of service (1 bar) to verify the network before handing off to Wi-Fi.

If you can connect to your Wi-Fi before entering the building or doing anything to get that one bar you'll be fine. I had this issue years ago though with other T-Mobile phones. Wi-Fi calling is worthless if you have no signal at all. Luckily for me, they finally tossed up another tower.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by RobbieRobski

Wifi calling can be either a second coming or armageddon. There's no inbetween

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Dang that really sucks. You'd think they could verify through telemetry... sending imei and mac address etc over wifi. sigh.
I wonder if this is a limitation of wifi calling through windows 10 or a tmobile limitation.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Had that issue swapped my phone out and haven't had that problem since.

The only problem I had was the phone seems to heat up a bit. When using certain apps haven't really been able to pin point but it seems like a couple beta apps I use so its nothing major they are betas after all. I can honestly say minimal problems

Sent from mTalk

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
So going back to the wifi calling issue I reported. It's like I'm being trolled. I didn't make any changes. It seems that only after I navigated to the setting page, that it actually started working.
For anyone interested, navigate to: Settings>Network & wireless>Cellular & SIM>SIM settings.
Under Wi-Fi calling - choose an option from the dropdown.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So going back to the wifi calling issue I reported. It's like I'm being trolled. I didn't make any changes. It seems that only after I navigated to the setting page, that it actually started working.
For anyone interested, navigate to: Settings>Network & wireless>Cellular & SIM>SIM settings.
Under Wi-Fi calling - choose an option from the dropdown.

WiFi calling has never worked in my office for what its worth. Our work has wifi calling blocked on our wifi network. No idea how, but it is...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6