What issues have you run into with this phone so far?

viper1970

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I love the look and feel of the phone so far. What Alcatel needs to do with respects to the camera is enable some sort of EIS similar to what the Pixel phones use (gyro?), that would go a long way to improving the shots as well as tweaking the HDR. I have tons of music 30gb uploaded to my one
drive account and getting my phone to connect through Groove via LTE isn't as seamless as my GS7 Edge to my Google music collection. I haven't had the same aux cable connection issues that others here have had, and I connect up every time I drive to and from work. My battery lasts all day
even when I have to pull a double, at which point I may have 15% battery left when I get home and that's with moderate use. My major complaint is the inability to uninstall those stupid VR apps. I cant stand them....they waste space, and the phones resolution doesn't come near my GS7 Edge in
the VR department. Allow me t uninstall those idiotic VR apps and I'll be content with this phone. I'm searching for a hack to do so but haven't foud one yet.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I got the T-Mobile Idol 4S a few days ago and the first couple days had charging issues. Using the OEM cable and wall charger plugged into a power strip the 'slow USB charging' notification appeared and the after a while charging would stop (ie, light goes out, no charging symbol). If I unplugged then replugged the phone in again charging would resume, but stop again later. Other than the notice and interruptions, charging and discharging seemed normal.

Now I have the OEM charger and cable plugged directly into the wall and still occasionally get the slow notice, but so far charging has been continuous. Even with the notice charging seems fast. I've ordered a second wall charger to see if that's the problem.

As an aside, before really setting up the phone I did the latest update (to .448), did a factory reset, then set it up fresh instead of using an existing backup.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I also wonder if it's not the charger, does the phone battery management software learn or fix itself?

Update:

Looks like I got a lemon.

The intermittent charging issues continued, so I contacted T-Mobile tech support. They suggested I go to my local store for a battery diagnosis. Turns out the new W10 phone T-Mobile app needs an unavailable update so diagnostics are not possible, even in the store.

They gave me a new charger and cable, but I continued to get occasional slow charging notices and phantom disconnects. They're overnighting me a new phone, since even though I bought it outright without insurance it's still within the 20-day 'remorse' period.

I'll follow up here if there are any more problems with the new phone.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Update:

Looks like I got a lemon.

The intermittent charging issues continued, so I contacted T-Mobile tech support. They suggested I go to my local store for a battery diagnosis. Turns out the new W10 phone T-Mobile app needs an unavailable update so diagnostics are not possible, even in the store.

They gave me a new charger and cable, but I continued to get occasional slow charging notices and phantom disconnects. They're overnighting me a new phone, since even though I bought it outright without insurance it's still within the 20-day 'remorse' period.

I'll follow up here if there are any more problems with the new phone.
Yes, it had to be a lemon. I've had absolutely zero issues so far. I hope your new phone turns*out to be as good as mine!

RockStarNinja

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
My only real issue is the same one I had with my Fierce XL. Every couple days the sounds stop working. I'll be texting and then all the notifications stop sounding, no texts, calls, or alarms. I usually just restart and it solves the problem. It's small and I can work around it, but it's still kind of annoying. . . I thought it was just a fierce xl issue but since its happening on this phone too I assume its an Alcatel thing.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to feel like I'm on a BlackBerry again. Has anyone else been getting double typing? Maybe it's me but I feel like the word prediction is also going backwards.

Am I crazy or has something gone awry with the awesome Windows keyboard?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to feel like I'm on a BlackBerry again. Has anyone else been getting double typing? Maybe it's me but I feel like the word prediction is also going backwards.

You aren't crazy. I list that as a windows issue though. Most of my issues are with windows 10.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You aren't crazy. I list that as a windows issue though. Most of my issues are with windows 10.
For the word prediction, yes, that's OS-related. Even though I have glove mode disabled, there have been touch problems reported by users so I'm wondering if the double typing is just me or is it more widespread.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

I haven't had any problems with double typing. The word prediction has definitely gone backwards, though.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I did. It was lagging the phone and eventually stopped working. She just stopped responding. The HEY CORTANA setting just disappeared. Literally gone. I couldn't do anything to bring it back other than a hard reset. I have since left it off. And as of yesterday I put my sim back in my iPhone. Glad I chose to keep it as a back up. And its nice to see the WDRT updated for the Alcatel today. Gonna play with that tonight and see if it fixes the broken custom notifications.

duckydan

Oct 9, 2007
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble with intermittent data? I have full bars and can search on Bing but my apps don't work and edge tells me it cannot load page. If I reboot my phone everything works again. This has been happening a lot since I got it on Monday. It's the only real issue i am having

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble with intermittent data? I have full bars and can search on Bing but my apps don't work and edge tells me it cannot load page. If I reboot my phone everything works again. This has been happening a lot since I got it on Monday. It's the only real issue i am having
I would consider a hard reset.

duckydan

Oct 9, 2007
Visit site
So I've done both types of hard resets... the first time it happened I did a factory reset. It fixed itself for a day and then happened again. When it happened again I did a hard reset in rebooting the phone and it comes back again but eventually stops working. I'm not sure if this is a W10 issue or a phone issue. When my internet is not working I can still do bing searches and if I do a bing search for "Speedtest" it does a test and the last one came up at 42mbps over LTE meaning my phone is getting data it just can't use it for some reason.

I'm having an issue tonight now which makes me think I have a device with a bad radio... my phone is connected to my home wifi but it tells me "No Internet, Secured". My iPhone for work is connected to the same network and is pulling in 150mbps in addition to me browsing and typing this message over that connection now.

smejicoiii

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Had mine about a month, love the feel of the phone. Been having random times where the micro sd card is all of the sudden unmounted. And also continuous reboot every once in a while. Nothing earth shattering but annoying. Think i might explore maybe getting replacement. Reaching out to tmobile rep today.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Had mine about a month, love the feel of the phone. Been having random times where the micro sd card is all of the sudden unmounted. And also continuous reboot every once in a while. Nothing earth shattering but annoying. Think i might explore maybe getting replacement. Reaching out to tmobile rep today.
Have you tried a hard reset? If so, I would definitely seek a replacement. Mine has never randomly rebooted

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a hard reset? If so, I would definitely seek a replacement. Mine has never randomly rebooted

WDRT is now available for us. If the current firmware is corrupted you gain nothing by doing a hard reset. I had forgotten that I had one incident with the SD card unmounting. I'm back on .448 and it's smooth as silk. Camera sucks again but the performance is worth it.

duckydan

Oct 9, 2007
Visit site
I ended up taking mine back to the store and getting a replacement. The difference is night and day. Aside from the data being stable and working much better the phone itself is significantly faster and more responsive. Additionally my vector watch sync'd with no issues whereas with my last one it would not. Cortana is also more responsive.

The only issue I am having now is that predictive text is not as good as it should be. This is my first Windows phone since a month after the 950xl came out and I was unimpressed by the poor battery and how bad W10 was. I am fairly happy with how it is running and even have around 95% of the apps I had on my iPhone with the others being unnecessary. The only thing I am missing is a way to play my ultraviolet library... The flixster app is broken so that may be a problem but that's not with the phone.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Dan, thanks for the update. i am looking to upgrade my t-mobile 640 to this as i like & need wi-fi calling and like the looks of this flagship phone. do you use a case/ protective back on yours ? i have always avoided phone cases because of thickness & i like the looks of Nokia/Lumia phones.Al

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb