What issues have you run into with this phone so far?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I ended up taking mine back to the store and getting a replacement. The difference is night and day. Aside from the data being stable and working much better the phone itself is significantly faster and more responsive. Additionally my vector watch sync'd with no issues whereas with my last one it would not. Cortana is also more responsive.

The only issue I am having now is that predictive text is not as good as it should be. This is my first Windows phone since a month after the 950xl came out and I was unimpressed by the poor battery and how bad W10 was. I am fairly happy with how it is running and even have around 95% of the apps I had on my iPhone with the others being unnecessary. The only thing I am missing is a way to play my ultraviolet library... The flixster app is broken so that may be a problem but that's not with the phone.

It looks like Insider builds don't agree with these phones. I'm with you on predictive text, it used to put Android and iOS to shame. Now, it's just run of the mill.

duckydan

Oct 9, 2007
Visit site
Dan, thanks for the update. i am looking to upgrade my t-mobile 640 to this as i like & need wi-fi calling and like the looks of this flagship phone. do you use a case/ protective back on yours ? i have always avoided phone cases because of thickness & i like the looks of Nokia/Lumia phones.Al

I actually picked up (at T-Mobile so it was overpriced) the clear Incipio case. I also don't like big and bulky cases on my phones but I have broken a few phones in my day (including a 920) due to a bad fall or dropping it so if it has any chance of protecting it, I'm all for it... and I didn't want to wait for an Amazon. That said it looks great and doesn't hide the phone which as you mentioned looks like a flagship. I did put a screen protector on it as well but again that's just me being overprotective (though both the case and screen protector help with the fingerprint magnet that is this phone)

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Had mine about a month, love the feel of the phone. Been having random times where the micro sd card is all of the sudden unmounted. And also continuous reboot every once in a while. Nothing earth shattering but annoying. Think i might explore maybe getting replacement. Reaching out to tmobile rep today.

I've also had mine for a month. I experience the sd card unmounting about every 24-48 hours. I think it is related to the fingerprint scanner because when I turned it off, I went 5 days without the card unmounting, until my phone updated to .576 yesterday. I tried turning the fingerprint scanner back on after the update, but my card unmounted this afternoon, so I turned it off again. I am not sure if it is hardware related. I want to try an insider build to see if the problem still persist but it seem WDRT is having problem with the T-Mobile version (says package not available).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've also had mine for a month. I experience the sd card unmounting about every 24-48 hours. I think it is related to the fingerprint scanner because when I turned it off, I went 5 days without the card unmounting, until my phone updated to .576 yesterday. I tried turning the fingerprint scanner back on after the update, but my card unmounted this afternoon, so I turned it off again. I am not sure if it is hardware related. I want to try an insider build to see if the problem still persist but it seem WDRT is having problem with the T-Mobile version (says package not available).

I reverted to factory build with WDRT due to niggling issues with the Insider builds. Make sure you don't select the "open markets" option as that's not available yet.

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok got new phone it just updated to .576 so far so good. Not going to load insider builds this time and see how it goes.

Were you able to return your phone for a new one from T-Mobile after having it for a month? I know I can't go back to the T-Mobile store to swap it out because it's been longer than 14 days. I was thinking about trying to get it replaced under warranty, but after reading T-Mobile's page, it looked difficult to do. Was it a painless process?

Edit: I called T-Mobile for an exchange and it was pretty painless. The only thing is that Alcatel requires a $20 fee for warranty exchanges, which kinda sucks. I hope the sd card issue doesn't happen on the new phone.

Last edited:

Rforce865

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Update:

Looks like I got a lemon.

The intermittent charging issues continued, so I contacted T-Mobile tech support. They suggested I go to my local store for a battery diagnosis. Turns out the new W10 phone T-Mobile app needs an unavailable update so diagnostics are not possible, even in the store.

They gave me a new charger and cable, but I continued to get occasional slow charging notices and phantom disconnects. They're overnighting me a new phone, since even though I bought it outright without insurance it's still within the 20-day 'remorse' period.

I'll follow up here if there are any more problems with the new phone.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I've noticed that sometimes mine will charge to 84% and stop. If I unplug and replug, it will charge the remaining

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
So far, so good. I got the new phone Tuesday and no more charging problems.

Does anyone know if the battery management software is Alcatel, not MS? If not, then perhaps some of the batteries are bad.

inC0gNi7o

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm on day three now unable to use the handset as normal on a phone call. The people I call can hear me fine but I cannot hear anything from the earpiece on the phone. If I push the speaker button however, they come through loud and clear! Everything I can find about similar issues have been with apple phones and some of the troubleshooting tips are ridiculous. I should also note that it can't be a blockage or hardware issue because the earpiece speaker works as intended when listening to voicemails. Also i have never used the headphone jack or connected any bluetooth devises, i've only had this thing a week! I'll update when I have a fix, until then this is a pretty pain in the *** issue to deal with.

*UPDATE*
After talking to a few different t-mobile reps in a few stores and kiosks at the mall I found a dude who was convinced I'd gotten myself a virus or malware or something through a shady ringtone app. Mainly this conclusion was drawn from the seemingly obvious fact that my issue was software related. I gave in and did a factory reset and everything is now working as intended. I'm a bit grumpy about having to customize everything again but thankful that I can use my phone again as, you know... a phone.

Last edited:

inC0gNi7o

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
My other gotcha - can't sync my work email, where my 950 works perfectly. I love this phone too.

Ok so I have a complicated issue I just accepted as not worth dealing with for the time being. I wasn't going to say anything until I saw this. I have an office 365 account thru itt-tech and as some of you may know, the school no longer exists. Less than three months ago I got a OneTouch FIERCE XL and had no issue connecting the email to outlook on the phone. The account is still valid considering I can still connect on that phone and thru any browser on my pc. When I try to connect on my Idol 4S however I get "cannot find your settings". I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this so I basically accepted the slight annoyance of manually checking that email at home.

duckydan

Oct 9, 2007
Visit site
I'm on day three now unable to use the handset as normal on a phone call. The people I call can hear me fine but I cannot hear anything from the earpiece on the phone. If I push the speaker button however, they come through loud and clear! Everything I can find about similar issues have been with apple phones and some of the troubleshooting tips are ridiculous. I should also note that it can't be a blockage or hardware issue because the earpiece speaker works as intended when listening to voicemails. Also i have never used the headphone jack or connected any bluetooth devises, i've only had this thing a week! I'll update when I have a fix, until then this is a pretty pain in the *** issue to deal with.

I just game on to note the same issue. Was on hold with best buy and put them on speaker. When I tried to go off speaker they could hear me fine but I could not hear them. Rebooted the phone and have had no issues since.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Wow, apparently I got lucky with a perfect phone. I haven't had any of these issues and I even went against my own advice and used a backup when I got my phone. Maybe I should invest in the stock market tomorrow. ;-) I'm sorry to hear about the issues some of you are having.

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Lo and behold, the SD unmount gremlin has reared its ugly head again.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Well I wasted $20 exchanging my Idol through T-Mobile thinking the SD unmounting was a hardware issue. I found out within 24 hours of receiving the new phone that it also has the same issue. I'm not sure why so little people are having this issue, unless I was really unlucky and got 2 lemons in a row. I hope it's actually a software or firmware issue that will be fixed in an update, because I don't want to spend another $20 to play the hardware lottery.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with the microSD card in my unit so far ... however, yesterday my 950XL stopped recognizing the SD card in it. :angry:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Lo and behold, the SD unmount gremlin has reared its ugly head again.

Well I wasted $20 exchanging my Idol through T-Mobile thinking the SD unmounting was a hardware issue. I found out within 24 hours of receiving the new phone that it also has the same issue. I'm not sure why so little people are having this issue, unless I was really unlucky and got 2 lemons in a row. I hope it's actually a software or firmware issue that will be fixed in an update, because I don't want to spend another $20 to play the hardware lottery.

I haven't had any issues with the microSD card in my unit so far ... however, yesterday my 950XL stopped recognizing the SD card in it. :angry:

This is why I decided a couple years ago that SD card support is no longer a requirement for me to consider a phone! I now spend the extra to get larger storage size so I do not have this hassle. It's not worth saving $50 or even $100 to me to put up with this.

It is probably a little easier for me to do than for some of you, since I'm not an audiophile and do not require a lot of storage. So far I've been fine with 64GB.

The problem is, what do I do when larger storage size is not available? :unhappysweat:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is why I decided a couple years ago that SD card support is no longer a requirement for me to consider a phone! I now spend the extra to get larger storage size so I do not have this hassle. It's not worth saving $50 or even $100 to me to put up with this.

It is probably a little easier for me to do than for some of you, since I'm not an audiophile and do not require a lot of storage. So far I've been fine with 64GB.

The problem is, what do I do when larger storage size is not available? :unhappysweat:

You know, I've decided I don't need one myself. I don't put music on my phone (I stream via Groove or Slacker Radio). I don't take a lot of HD videos either. I can see where you're coming from. ... I'm removing all of mine from my phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos