Uninstalling the VR software

viper1970

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I bought the IDOL 4S with Windows 10 strictly for the handset and of course Windows Mobile, that being said I hate the VR software that is installed on the phone. Call me OCD but I like my phones a certain way, the flow, the apps etc. The supplied VR headset gives me a migraine and although a cool novelty, stinks compared to other VR headsets. Anyway, anyone have an Idea if the VR software can be deleted (something I'm missing maybe in settings) or am I going to have to lobby Alcatel to give us the option to delete the software in a future update?

Thanks

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Usually factory installed apps can be uninstalled like any other app so this is alarming and annoying. If there was just one or two apps, it wouldn't be as big of a deal but it looks like there are 10 or so VR apps.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

I contacted Alcatel and they sent me instructions on how to uninstall it at my Android. Apparently the word Windows slipped their mind. I replied back, but so far, no response. It's really dumb to use the same name for 2 phones even the workers are confused.

Last edited:

PatrickDay

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
re:

Yeah, It's most likely lost in translation. I still wish they would let us uninstall this bloat. I used my VR headset once and it went into the drawer where it hasn't been used since. The main reason I dont use it, is at the resolution the screen runs at, pixels are visible. I also use a Galaxy S7E and it's VR experience is phenomenal. Either way, I use this phone for work, in addition to it being my daily driver. I use the S7E for taking photos while out and
about with my family, since the 4s doesnt have OIS. If Alcatel were to implement a stabilization strategy similar to the Pixel phones, then we would
have the best Windows phone out and I could get rid of the S7E.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
re:

Just got a hold of this amazing phone and was hoping to find a way to remove the VR apps and the useless T-mobile one.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

It doesn't seem possible to remove the apps at this point. Not sure why Microsoft let them get away with that as the ability to remove the bloatware preinstalled apps was an advantage over android. Not with this model.

viper1970

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
re:

I contacted them via Email and they said it was a T-mobile thing, and it would be up to them to allow it so unless someone hits John Legere up on twitter, it wont happen. I can stand the T-mobile app....I actually use it....the VR Apps?....damn!:crying:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

I am curious. If you install an Insider Preview build, does it let you uninstall it? Probably not worth trying to do, but would be good to know. When running insider preview on certain devices, I would soon discover more and more third party preinstalled apps could be uninstalled that I could not uninstall before.

DblGonzo

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
re:

I just installed insider build 10.0.15031.0 and it will not allow me to uninstall the software. Really sucks, the VR software will only play a handful of crap they provide for you. Not being able to use another 3rd party VR video app is a huge screw up. None of the VR videos a buddy of mine shot will work when transferred into the video folders of the app. Not the 180 or 360 stuff. The provided app will not play them back in full screen mode.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Firstly, I can't disagree with the idea of choice and running the device the way you like.

However, I'm all for the VR stuff. Bring it on. Also it would appear that AR is getting poised to explode on this platform and I am excited to see what happens. I like the VR option and am very glad I have it on such a beautiful and capable device.

I just installed insider build 10.0.15031.0 and it will not allow me to uninstall the software. Really sucks, the VR software will only play a handful of crap they provide for you. Not being able to use another 3rd party VR video app is a huge screw up. None of the VR videos a buddy of mine shot will work when transferred into the video folders of the app. Not the 180 or 360 stuff. The provided app will not play them back in full screen mode.

Check the file format. I believe it must be mp4. I just downloaded 2 vidz off of YouTube and one of those needed conversion to mp4, which the downloader accomplished for me. I placed them both in the 360 Video folder and then launched VR. Both of them appeared and played.

I've also noticed that if you download a VR App from the Store, it has to be played standalone. If you download through the VR Store app Alcatel provided (which is just a portal into the store) it still does not appear in your Games folder inside Launcher. This is not acceptable. I'll play with it a bit... I believe that you need to edit inside HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG. At least that is where you find entries for Fellcraft and Zombie Shooter which do show in the launcher.

DblGonzo

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
re:

All are MP4, I am thinking it may be a resolution issue with the VR app or the file name. I know the GearVR you have to have the correct format in the file name like 180x180_3dh_LR for side by side.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Hmmm... I downloaded my test vidz as 1440p. No such designators as you describe in the title.

Here is all the info shown in the exif of the one that got converted:
Capture01.pngCapture02.png

viper1970

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
re:

While the VR was fun for about 10 minutes the luster wore off quickly, especially having Samsung's Gear VR on hand like I do. I also tried to download standalone VR apps from the store and got a sub par experience. This is just a gimmick to sell their Windows phone IMO. I like the phone however, and if they would simply drop an update or two making the camera experience better I would keep it. As it stands I still use my GS7E as my daily driver and
im ditching this phone. They ruined the experience by not allowing me the ability to do things I used to be able to do, most important being the ability to uninstall those apps I dont want. :angry:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

User darrell reimer solved this issue. Here's how you remove the VR Apps...

...I restored from my Lumia 650 cause i wanted my start screen to look the same, and was too lazy to start from scratch; but...when none of the VR stuff showed up, i reset the phone and started new, and i got all the Alcatel VR stuff; not sure if i'll use it, but i'll give it a try....

Note that it requires you to have a W10M backup from another device available to your Microsoft Account...

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
re:

User darrell reimer solved this issue. Here's how you remove the VR Apps...

Originally Posted by darrell reimer
...I restored from my Lumia 650 cause i wanted my start screen to look the same, and was too lazy to start from scratch; but...when none of the VR stuff showed up, i reset the phone and started new, and i got all the Alcatel VR stuff; not sure if i'll use it, but i'll give it a try....

Note that it requires you to have a W10M backup from another device available to your Microsoft Account...

This must be a W10M thing. I restored mine from a W8.1 phone and the VR apps were left in tact.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

So it's MS software preventing us from uninstalling the VR Apps and NOT T-Mobile?

No... it would be Alcatel Firmware. Seems to me a bug in the restore from backup of a previous built for W10M device might ignore downloading the Apps after reset.

It's unremovable because it is Firmware. That's how it goes. But this is Alcatel Firmware, not T-Mo stuff. Alcatel makes the VR portion. That there is a way to get setup without it would be a bug.

viper1970

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
re:

So, If we have firmware from another device we can try to use that to restore WM10 and that would allow the removal of the VR apps? I'm not that hack savvy so I apologize if I'm not thoroughly understanding this process.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

So, If we have firmware from another device we can try to use that to restore WM10 and that would allow the removal of the VR apps? I'm not that hack savvy so I apologize if I'm not thoroughly understanding this process.

It's not the firmware, there is no flashing.

Do you have another Built for W10M model that you have used? Do you still have a backup from that on your OneDrive?

If the answer to either question is no, then there is no point.

If the answer to both is yes, then you can proceed. Say for argument's sake you have/had a Lumia 950. You still have a backup on OneDrive for the 950 or you make one now.

Reset your Idol 4S and during setup when it asks you if you want to restore from backup and offers the list of choices, choose the 950 backup and restore from that...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa