Unlocked Idol 4s

jkop720

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Any news on the unlocked Idol 4s? Dan though maybe t-mobile had a 60 day exclusive on it and here we are 60 days after release with no news.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
WDRT v3.11.34101 added Idol 4S "Open Market" on 12/12/2016 so it is almost certain to be in the pipeline...

Capture01.png

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else mention this. o_O

jkop720

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I knew about that story, but that was a month ago and nothing since. Like I said a 60 day exclusive as Dan was saying is not unusual, and today would be 60 days.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's because most owners are like me and have had no need to even check out WDRT for this device. :evil:
Amen to that brother. I only did it once to get back after playing with Insider Builds. Never again - "Not gon' do it, wouldn't be prudent".

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I do have my unlock code for mine from t-mobile. Is there a way to unlock it without having to insert a foreign SIM in the phone? I just need to get to a spot to enter the unlock code. Any way to do that from the dialer?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I hope this happens soon. I'm definitely in the market, and so far am not ready to jump on anything which has been out for a while.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'll see if I can borrow a SIM off of someone at work tomorrow and see what happens.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Found a Verizon hotspot from work with a SIM in it. I've unlocked the phone(s) with the provided t-mobile code! (said: Code Accepted). So...I now have 2 unlocked IDOL 4S's. Very cool.

My hand was forced a bit on this one. No way to receive server alerts from work on my Idol, so I have a fruity phone and my Idol 4S. My wife, bless her, has tried to stick with it..but has moved to an iPhone. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I would dig on this device if only AT&T would loosen their chains on supporting Unlocked devices with their Enhanced LTE services.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I would dig on this device if only AT&T would loosen their chains on supporting Unlocked devices with their Enhanced LTE services.
I think they all do the same. I know T-Mobile does which is why I prefer not to use factory unlocked phones. It sucks but I've been spoiled with HD voice calling.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think they all do the same. I know T-Mobile does which is why I prefer not to use factory unlocked phones. It sucks but I've been spoiled with HD voice calling.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

T-Mobile is a little better than AT&T in this regard. It just so happens that Windows Phones are not really cared about when it comes to unlocked phones with carrier features. There are several unlocked Android phones that have HD Voice/VoLTE. Not sure if you know this already but the Pixel is just like how they treat iPhones, everything works without a hitch or any work required.

I get everything with my sim-free iPhone without any work or problems. Even though it isn't T-Mo's phone, it recognizes it as a phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile is a little better than AT&T in this regard. It just so happens that Windows Phones are not really cared about when it comes to unlocked phones with carrier features. There are several unlocked Android phones that have HD Voice/VoLTE. Not sure if you know this already but the Pixel is just like how they treat iPhones, everything works without a hitch or any work required.

I get everything with my sim-free iPhone without any work or problems. Even though it isn't T-Mo's phone, it recognizes it as a phone.

I can't speak about the Pixel but I do know that if a phone is not "certified" by T-Mobile, it won't get VoLTE. It'll work as far as data and voice, but HD calling and sometimes Visual Voicemail and/or WiFi calling won't work. Being the chronic switcher that I am, believe me, it's infuriating. As for iPhones, my monster-in-law's AT&T unlocked Iphone 6 and her warlock husband's 5C don't get the goodies either. BTW, my wife is very aware of my monikers for her folks. In fact, she calls her own mother "Godzilla" and we have a Godzilla roar as a custom ringtone for her. Happy wife, happy life.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I can't speak about the Pixel but I do know that if a phone is not "certified" by T-Mobile, it won't get VoLTE. It'll work as far as data and voice, but HD calling and sometimes Visual Voicemail and/or WiFi calling won't work. Being the chronic switcher that I am, believe me, it's infuriating. As for iPhones, my monster-in-law's AT&T unlocked Iphone 6 and her warlock husband's 5C don't get the goodies either. BTW, my wife is very aware of my monikers for her folks. In fact, she calls her own mother "Godzilla" and we have a Godzilla roar as a custom ringtone for her. Happy wife, happy life.

Lol @ Godzilla ringtone. That sounds funny, but I will take your word for it.

I think for iOS, it depends on the phone and the version of iOS on it. My SE has no issues as I have everything, even though I'm choosing to be safe on version 9.

You're right though, there's a list that is my savior in figuring all of that out for them, and I only try phones on that list alone. My Windows Phone experiments are excluded of course. lol.

Devices compatible with Extended Range LTE - Spectrum Gateway

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo